Home | About | Donate

It's Now Been Three Long Years Since Flint Had Clean Water

It's Now Been Three Long Years Since Flint Had Clean Water

Nika Knight, staff writer

As of Tuesday, the city of Flint, Michigan has been without clean water for over three long years.

"The people of Flint have been through hell over the last three years and it's absolutely disgusting that there has been little change in their daily lives."
—Lonnie Scott, Progress Michigan

April 24, 2014 was the day that city officials made the disastrous decision to switch the city's water source to the Flint River, whose polluted water corroded aged lead pipes and poisoned residents' water with lead.

looks like someone needs to bomb the usa, I mean, there are kids dying, women dying, people getting sick. Tell me what the difference between sarin gas and lead poisoning. This is the American hypocrisy.
Will someone think of the children!!!!

Shut up, eat your soylent green and get back to work corporate slaves...that will be the usa's new motto.

Good point EJ.

Why isn't the Military rolling into Flint to help care for all the 'Beautiful Babies' being poisoned by our own government.

Trumps a 'Clucking' Hypocrite, as are most Republican politicians. All pathological liars, the lot of them.

Are the Democrats running to the city's aid? Useless as well.

These two parties will be the Death of us all unless we Smarten Up, and I mean Fast.

People, Planet, and Peace over Profit.

SupportYourLocalGreens

I cluckled when I read your clucking!

I know there are may capable people in Flint. Even so;

This old farmer, well driller, builder and socioeconomics guy will help collect rainwater off roofs.

Church, library and house roofs yield meaningful quantities of water. Make a beautiful ferrocement sculpture to harvest rainwater from a large church roof.

I have been 20 years as caretaker of http://www.ferrocement.com Read the tank section and I will help people-power build hundreds of water tanks this year and be ready to build thousands next year.

Say no to little 50 gallon plastic rainwater barrels. They are not the answer

My daughter lives in Sacramento. During the drought they made it illegal to collect rainwater from your own roof.

Thanks Chicken.

Hope you don't mind me using your 'Clucking' language.

Every once in a while I slip, but I do not want to get booted from here like I did last year. I guess I got pretty nasty in September. Missed the whole election.

I apologize to anyone here I may have offended.

By (1) willingly having this happen and (2) doing barely anything to rectify it, we show how truly "exceptional" we are.

P.S. If we treated ecocide as a (chuckle) crime, then the people responsible for the willful, ongoing poisoning would be in jail, along with Volkswagen being shut down for their willful emissions cheating.

If this happened on Martha's vineyard...

Making rainwater collection illegal is a reactionary, knee-jerk no. Colorado is struggling on this issue. Owning rainfall publicly or privately is a bit weird. Personally, I'd rather own the solar system and charge earthlings rent.

The entire state of California became serious about using gray water for lawns and gardens fairly recently. There was a time when seemingly intelligent people said, "Yeah, but what if someone washes a baby diaper and some baby poop gets loose in Nature?"

On top of that; Bottled water corporate adverts have made people afraid to drink out of public drinking fountains.

PonyBoy, don't let the Flag-Zilla's intimidate you.

You are on the Right Side of the issues.

In my experience, making a big deal out of earthy language is just another Bogus Tool, used by those who are not.

Excellent point.

By and large, only Low Level Crime is ever prosecuted in the 21st Century US.

Yes. Colorado water laws are insanely complex.

Actually, I think the people won out on this one. Kinda sorta. Residents can collect now, but with no more than using (2) 110 gallon barrels. I suppose one could collect in those 2 and store in a much larger container (with some automatic diversion setup), but it severely restricts collection amount, which is pure idiocy.

However, if you have property with your own well, or just get a well permit even if you don't drill, you can then collect as much as possible. And that is great news.

http://water.state.co.us/SurfaceWater/RainwaterCollection/Pages/default.aspx

And now cement from carbon emissions? Pure genius. Now it this tech can just spread worldwide.

Hey GC, a personal question on arid regions in Colorado. If one had a house with 1200 sq ft. flat roof (slight slope), is it viable?

According to a calculator, I could collect as much as 10,698 gallons per year. But what about the likelihood that all 10-11 inches of that annual precipitation will actually land on my roof? Is that likelihood accounted for in the calculations themselves? or is it another problem to calculate?
Cheers and thanks for your work.
http://www.braewater.com/calculator

Hi,

11” works out to about 8,150 gallons. If 15% evaporates that’s about 6,900 gallons net.

About 600 - 625 gallons per inch of ran net.

Fly catcher compost toilet will help. Bathing? Dishwashing?

Does this seem similar to your ideas? I didn't do that well on the link, yet,

Well I suppose even 18 gallons a day is nothing to sneeze at. Composting or solar incinerating toilet.
Bathing? This will be a B&B, so don't know any averages on that as of yet.

Dishwasher--Me. The 3 sink method (soaking). Also absolutely no powered fricking washer or dryer. Plunger method and a clothesline (clothes smell fresh--who needs a damned sheet of chemicals?)

Courtyard--zeriscaped, so no extra water needed, although grey water use is possible. No yard. No lawn. Rural.

Would have PM'ed you, but unclear on that technology.:wink: