Home | About | Donate

"It's Time": Push Intensifies for Democrats to Use Cohen Testimony to Subpoena Trump Tax Returns

"It's Time": Push Intensifies for Democrats to Use Cohen Testimony to Subpoena Trump Tax Returns

Julia Conley, staff writer

Tax justice groups on Friday called on Democrats to make use of the most illuminating parts of Michael Cohen's testimony at a House Oversight Committee hearing earlier this week—arguing that his detailing of President Donald Trump's long history of alleged tax fraud gives lawmakers ample reason to subpoena the president's tax returns.

Tax Evasion:
If it is good enough to convict Al Capone, it is good enough to convict Trump.

7 Likes

The smoking gun of trumps hidden tax-returns must be exposed, as well as, and likely more importantly, the trails fully followed into his other illegal activities! The excuse trump has used since the primaries before he was made prez have been that he wont release them because he “is being audited” - over two years for an audit is not believable, and “the IRS has stated that an audit does not prevent disclosure.” Perhaps with a strong Congressional push/demand to subpoena his returns, and the bread-crumb trails into other areas Cohen’s testimony provided, we may learn some truths about him, his “foundation”, dealings with the Russian mob & bankers, and his crime family’s illegal maneuverings!

4 Likes

Do you know if such a subpoena has any teeth to it? In other words, what happens if Trump refuses?

1 Like

From ProPublica:

1 Like

This may answer some of those questions.

1 Like

Two years too late.

Even though it is a fairly old report, the info is helpful. Especially about Warren’s bill that would require tax return disclosure for all Prez and VP candidates, as well as federal representatives. That bill needs to be approved by congress pronto before the 2020 election.

3 Likes

This must be a joke, maybe this is April 1st, not March 1st. Dems didn’t need Cohen’s testimony for this information, many have known this for years. As for who to subpoena for information on Trumps finances, no one in the party was smart enough to think about his bookkeeper?

3 Likes

AOC is not playing the game. The Democrats did not take this rout because too many of them do the same thing. There no way in hell anyone can convince me that The Deomocrats were unaware that they could ask these questions.

4 Likes

I’ll have to look up what it is for a congressional suppeona, but if you receive one to appear in a state or local court proceeding you can be held in contempt of court and jailed until you comply.
Remember, Nixon and Reagan’s people didn’t exactly volunteer to appear before congressional oversight committees. Many of them were compelled by the power of the suppeona.

1 Like

I have a feeling that Mueller already has at least some, and maybe all, of the Trump tax returns in question, so all of this may be moot.
However, one can’t help, but ask, why did the democrats wait until the end of the Cohen hearing, during a freshman reps five minutes, to get him to name names? Was it just an adept piece of politicking by Cortez, or a plan by the Democratic leadership? Knowing what we know about the current state of democratic leadership, I’d choose the former.
The bottom line is this, why aren’t there subpoenas flying around DC today like snowflakes? I realized that Nancy has never been that bright, seemingly incapable of thinking two steps ahead, but even she and the gutless, hapless, Democratic leadership have to know that they now have to power to not necessarily remove Trump from office, but to force him to resign. All they have to do is keep up the pressure. The GOP power brokers really want to rid themselves of Trump before 2020 (the Koch brothers are already pushing to back primary challengers) hopefully the democrats will aid them in that endeavor

1 Like

"Michael Cohen’s testimony has confirmed what most Americans already know,…

That’s why it’s best to drag out this topic and avoid discussing the united states as a rogue terrorist outfit that has murdered 21 million completely innocent people since the end of ww two.

Replace the US government with something decent and modern.

1 Like

My point is all of the tax information has been available for a long time, way before he became President. Here’s a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who’s been writing about Trumps crap for 30 years, but dems claim they didn’t know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-2cOAUO_wM
I agree AOC seems like she’s ready to get the show on the road, the rest are playing a game.

2 Likes

Well, one thing I know is that Nancy is smarter than you.

I have no idea where you came up with “dems claim they didn’t know.” Perhaps you can find one idiot who claims to be a democrat who might have said something along those lines, but democrats in general DID NOT SAY THAT. Democrats have only had any power for about a month. Do you understand that? Do you understand that it takes a little time for a strategy and for issuing subpoenas, etc.?

1 Like

What’s with the personal attack? If you’re going to do that, at least back it up with an explanation. Perhaps, some of the rest of us don’t see colors exactly the same way you do.

I think we’re lucky to have someone like Pelosi.

Ooh what a great idea “so the American people know the truth”. That should do it, then Democrats can finally impeach Trump? Yeah they got him now? Hey maybeTrump used a Russian tax preparer. Jackpot! Double Whammy! Democrat fools acting like whiney little children. The smoking gun! The Big Kahuna! Our elected officials hard at work for the common man. What a waste of fucking breath.

The MSM mentioned several weeks ago that a major, foreign-owned bank was apparently resisting a Mueller subpoena, and was being fined $50,000 each day that the requested materials were not turned over.  Couldn’t possibly be Deutsche Bank, could it?  And just a couple of days ago, Rachel Maddow spent considerable time tracing the valuation of a Drümpf mansion from ~$7.5 Million to ~$20+ Million to suddenly $291 Million for a loan application and then back to ~$20 Million for tax purposes.  This couldn’t possibly be part of a Russian money-laundering scheme, could it?  Did Putin “suggest” to Tweetle-Dumb that he exaggerate the value of his big mansion by a factor of 12 to 15, and then tell Deutsche Bank to accept this value and “lend” Drümpf & Company $250 Million or so (a quarter of
a Billion Dollars!) based on this false evaluation of the “security” being put up for the loan??

Only ‘The Shadow’ knows . . .

2 Likes