Home | About | Donate

It's Time to Speak About the Economic Cost of Sexual Assault

It's Time to Speak About the Economic Cost of Sexual Assault

Sheetal Dhir

I recently did a straw poll of the women in my life and realised that I know more survivors of sexual assault than I do mothers.

3 Likes

I am sorry. Must everything has to have a price tag? Isn’t it enough to say that Sexual Assault is an attack
on the dignity of the attacked person and is reprehensible on that count alone? Otherwise how do we counter the logic of Larry Sumner wanting to relocate polluting industries to the third world?

Peace.
ths.

3 Likes

“…sexual assault exacts a heavy toll not only on the women who have gone through it, but on our society as a whole. And it is time this becomes part of our national conversation.”
Gratitude to this author, Ms. Dhir, for your resilience and your work to date in nonprofits, social justice, advocacy and media. You are a generous voice for those of us who hesitate–unable to trust, feel safe, have confidence, or forge connections that build political power, social recognition, and financial acumen and assets.
Would that US economic measurements, indicators and investments be redesigned to soon include long-term financial-equivalent vehicles for kind (beyond “in-kind”) contributions of:

1. self-care;
  2. direct care to others; compassionate service in nearby communities;
  3. provision of necessities in real-time service for vulnerable populations seeking refuge, livable conditions, and preservation of their cultures; and
  4. collaborative action for cleaning and conserving our environment.
    From all citizens, not just from wealthy celebrities and corporations.
    Beyond “socially-responsible” to socially-RESPONSIVE investments: human capital that grows compassionate care into our future.
4 Likes

I wholly concur with your post. It might be an interesting intellectual exercise for some to study, but the root cause of sexual assault is the issue. I grew up with parents who worked as a team. There was very minimal tension in the home. I credit that with helping to inculcate in me a healthy respects in my relationships–family, friends and colleagues.

HI healthierall ----latest news. California just passed a law-----women must be included in what were previously all male boards! : )

3 Likes

Incidentally, the more female-inclusive the Board, the more profitable the corp.!

3 Likes

YEAH!! A step toward the parity as demo’d in Iceland. Dare I wonder, how many women?

1 Like