Home | About | Donate

It's Time. We Must Jam the 'Demonic, Destructive Suction Tube'

It's Time. We Must Jam the 'Demonic, Destructive Suction Tube'

Robert C. Koehler

Suddenly America’s political cauldron bubbles with hope and possibility — not just because the Democrats have won races across the country, but because voters pushed back in record numbers against the forces of Trump and racism and the long-standing lies of entrenched wealth.

Now the work begins: to hold our political leadership accountable for real change —the sort of change that is too easily ducked by the powerful. The time has come to change who we are as a nation, to transform the national identity.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the dominant feature of American “culture” is war. Think about the flyovers before major sporting events. Think about the mindless repetition of “support the troops” sans the idea that to really do so would mean to bring them home. Think about military commercials that are played before movies at the theater. Think about those god-forsaken flag pins that are supposed to prove patriotism. Think about how the peace sign is reviled by arm chair warriors, whose combat experience is strictly limited to their video-gaming “life”.

“We like war. We are a warlike people.”
–The Late, Great George Carlin

10 Likes

Laconic you are Bob, but America’s war psychosis goes deep into the demonic and in world history it’s always self-destructive (“contrary to form,” Paul Tillich).
In June of 1963 JFK’s address at the American University denying the righteousness of the Cold War then, well; then there was November 22nd 1963.
Bernie has an F-35 air force plant in Vermont; he’s not going against the
military-industrial complex; while its corporate media and Democratic Party leaders stir the brew in the witches’ cauldron (Macbeth 4.1). And the “voice crying in the wilderness” (Julian Assange) is soon to be silenced.
“Men worshiped the dragon . . . and they worshiped the beast” (Rev.13.4).

2 Likes

Think how in the work world, “You’ve got to take one for the team.”
For career advancement, “Winning at all costs.”
For political domination, “Follow the rules, but when the refs aren’t looking, do what you have to.”
Sporting and militaristic memes pervade culture and mutually support each other in their dark vortex of suck.

1 Like

Indeed it is. Just study US history and you discover that Empire building was always its agenda and began in earnest after the so-called “Revolutionary” War and exploded after WWII.

If the WP fails to challenge this it also, simultaneously, posts a recent study: U.S. life expectancy drops again. I quote: "Life expectancy in the United States declined again in 2017, the government said Thursday in a bleak series of reports that showed a nation still in the grip of escalating drug and suicide crises."It’s as if our entire nation is suffering from PTSD because of such perverse and inverted priorities. And yes, at the core of its rot is capitalism that consumes Life much as a vampire.

4 Likes

Why is military spending and the waging of war the one topic that is verboten in national discourse

just yesterday i told my son that one great opportunity now between thankgiving and january first is we can utter the word PEACE without fear of being called anti-american or a commie sympathizer! why, i even heard that in one of the recent political campaigns one campaigner called for an end to uncle sam’s wars of aggression to which the opponent responded by calling that speaker dangerous and unamerican.

i watched a democracy now! interview earlier this week discussing the military’s firing tear gas at asylum seekers still inside mexico you know that’s and act of war, don’t you? a guest proclaimed, "This is not who we are really?

so, while i can still say this without being dragged to gitmo let me wish all of us
PEACE ON EARTH!

4 Likes

Are the democratic apparatchiks going to respond here? You know who I mean.

As I wrote on another post, my new democratic rep (young) in Congress is an ex-CIA, military war woman.

But, hey, she’s a woman, and women are always for peace. It’s progress.

Uh, I forgot; is the US fighting communism in Afghanistan? If you are for peace, you are a communist! So I am told.

1 Like

Amen WiseOwl, you speak my long standing truth as well, and in particular as a Vietnam vet. And don’t leave out the NASCAR Confederate flag lovers that go overboard on the military as well.

2 Likes

That leopard has to die…it’s a revolution. This money, these digital funds, could be invested in the future needs of our country as our country is burned and flooded and swept away by violent winds. We need to build better and smarter. We need to stop building in and insuring areas that are too high risk for flooding and fire due to the natural forces of nature; call it what you will. As habitat changes, so must our city planning. That’s why we need visionaries in Washington. These things need to happen. And along with that comes wealth building through jobs. Real hand and feet jobs. Dump Trump and dump corporate exploitation of all working folks. Demand better. Be best! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yes, Robert Koehler, yes. A thousand times yes.

1 Like

The “Lucifer effect” stretches across the entire spectrum of Society where there unequal distribution of wealth and power. The 1 percent of the Worlds richest are every bit as “demonic” when they exercise their power over the worlds poorest as is the US Military to all those other nation states. This also an observation I have made regarding our Politicians. When first elected they can be nice men and women truly desirous of doing good. Once they get into POWER they change and devolve where they begin to think they are deserved of having that POWER over others . A few years in office and a simple traffic stop by a cop, or delay boarding an airplane can lead to a “do you know who I AM ?” outburst.

Power corrupts and this in power or who exercise power tend to be corrupt.

You DO remember what the Greens were called when it was Hillary v T-Rump, and oh, wait, wasn’t there that group of cuckoos that couldn’t understand the necessity of voting for evil, albeit lesser?!