Home | About | Donate

Japan's Notorious Dolphin Hunt Is Where the World's Aquariums Shop

Japan's Notorious Dolphin Hunt Is Where the World's Aquariums Shop

Peter Singer, Jordan Sosnowski

The notorious annual dolphin hunt got underway last week in the small Japanese town of Taiji. During the six-month hunting season, terrified dolphins are violently herded into a narrow cove. Most are slaughtered — but scores of “good-looking” ones are captured and shipped off to aquariums.

Stop going to Sea World! Watch, " Black Fish, " and " The Cove."on dvd or however. Also for example, Sea World's Orca hunters are not allowed in Puget Sound, Washington, so they hunt in Iceland instead. FU Sea World!

I don't remember if I've ever been to Sea World but I will not go there unless they make drastic changes.I saw "Blackfish" on Netflix. I saw a documentary about an orca in Canada that had human friends but was disconnected from his family & had no orca friends. The town government tells people to stay away from him. I never saw "Free Willy". There are tuna companies that kill dolphins to prevent them from eating tuna & there are tuna companies that say they do not harm dolphins.

The killing if dolphins by fishermen is more a problem with the dolphins being unintentionally netted with the fish then it is an intentional slaughter. I do not mean to say that some fishermen do not target them but that it is no longer an industry wide practice. Japan's insistence on preying on citations is a major blight on their culture.

Killer whale capture ceased in 1988 in Iceland. SeaWorld has not caught animals from the wild for decades. They do not have to as majority of killer whales were born at SeaWorld.

“...dolphin trainers in wetsuits and hats brandishing the IMATA logo stand side by side with the Japanese hunters, choosing which dolphins will live in their aquariums and which will die...”

If this is the case then it would be quite easy for somebody to have taken photographs of these individuals and they could appear in this article. As this has not happened, one could to be rather incredulous about such a statement. Even if this would be the case, the people involved would be individual members of this organisation and certainly not hold organisational membership.

IMATA has indeed made a statement condemning the drive fishery. However, prohibiting the membership of anybody who works in facilities that display animals acquired in this manner seems counter-productive. Particularly in regards to providing these individuals with reliable contemporary knowledge on the care of these animals in captivity. In fact, it could be said that this actually works against the welfare of the individual animals concerned. However, as the animal-rights movement is a political ideology and does not really have an honest interest in the welfare of animals this should come as no surprise. It can be further stated that these individuals and organisations are not interested if IMATA were to ban members involved in animals acquired from drive hunts this is just pious mudslinging from their perceived moral high ground.

Further, the headline is completely misleading, as the world’s aquariums do not go to Japan to obtain animals from drive fisheries - the vast majority of dolphins in the world’s aquariums were born in captive care alongside ageing animals caught decades ago. There are no dolphins displayed in the United States or mainland Europe that have been acquired via drive fisheries. The only cetacean from drive fisheries displayed in United States this is a false killer whale originally acquired by the American Navy in 1986 which is now been retired to an aquarium in Hawaii.

Seaworld never had "Orca hunters". The did acquire wild killer whales from freelance operators such as Griffin and Goldsberry. So did a lot of other marine parks.

I've never seen an "IMATA wetsuit" although I don't know that they don't exist. Wetsuits are usually branded with the particular companies logo. I don't go around wearing clothing with my college's logo.

The idea that "captivity fuels the hunts" rings false on several levels. This phrase comes from rick obarry and is parroted endlessly by his followers.

One, if the hunts were all about captivity there would be no need to harvest dolphins for food. What would be the point? The fishermen don't need an excuse. They are engaged in a perfectly legal endeavor. Wouldn't it be better for them to capture 150 dolphins per year and sell them instead of killing thousands? That alone would take all the steam out of the protestors.

Second, the hunts have been well documented for at least the past 650 years but sales to aquariums only began recently. The theory that "captivity fuels the hunts" is just a catchphrase that holds no water. It's purpose is simply to keep the mob whipped up into an anti-Japan frenzy.