Home | About | Donate

Jeremy Corbyn’s Surprising Gains

Jeremy Corbyn’s Surprising Gains

Robert Kuttner

Something strange appears to be happening on the way to British Prime Minister Theresa May’s anticipated victory after her clever strategy of calling a snap election.

The ploy could backfire on her—just the way her predecessor, David Cameron, got caught when he thought he could shut up the ultra-nationalists by calling a referendum on British membership in the European Union. The result was Brexit, and Cameron’s own hasty exit.

Don't jinx him !
Seems like all the election headlines I've read lately are "Dems poised to win special election" They never do.

Just watch this video....then I'll stop posting it!

Interestingly enough, the only "populist" candidate to overcome a nearly unified media assault against their candidacy has been Trump. Everywhere else, they've lost. In some cases, big.

Corbyn faces the same withering barrage that Trump did. More so, since he has no pockets of safe space at Fox like Trump had.

I'm leery of hoping too much for this to happen. But Corbyn's done everything a mortal can do. The manifesto was timely and desperately needed. It's a large part of his surge. This is what people want to hear right now. Not Russia. Not "we're not them!". Not "it's her turn!".

They want to hear a plan to save them from increasingly dire straits. And the bearer of that plan---real or not (in Trump's case)--is going to get a lot of support.

Good luck, Labour. We could use the good news right now.

I never tire of watching this video. It is a classic! More than humor, much more, it condenses most of the truth one needs to know about our system into a 3 minute rant by a master of the form.

When Justin Trudeau ran in October 2015, he promised to run a (actually, increase the) deficit, increase infrastructure spending, and tax the rich. His Liberals won a majority.

But since then he has done nothing but be a darling for the tar sand miners and pipeline layers and the high-finance yuppies.

But there IS progress at the provincial level...In Ontario they will get $15 an hour in 2019, mandatory 3 weeks paid vacation, tougher labor law enforcement and mandatory card-check union certification. And there was not even any controversy about it...The most strongly worded opposition was this....

"The Ontario Chamber of Commerce expressed concern about what it called “unproven sweeping reforms” and warned of unintended consequences."

I guess I'd have to disagree that the media was "assaulting" Trump. They treated him like a celebrity and gave him more time than any other candidate. Joking about a candidate's quirky obnoxious personality is not an "assault".

Real media "assaults" of candidates consist of the silence of the memory-hole....i.e. "Bernie who?" "Global what-ing?" "Single-payer what?"...

Melanchon, in France, supported a maximum yearly income of 400,000 Euros, and he won 19% of the vote coming in fourth place behind the winner, Machron, with 24%. This was the first round of the French election. The populist backlash against extreme inequality will continue to make a strong showing, and Corbyn is a good candidate.

etc etc etc

Well if Corbyn does indeed have a broad negative reception from the media like Trump did maybe this is a good sign. For all of the negative media, it had the opposite effect, it gave Trump more of the image of the "anti-status quo" candidate. However unlike Trump, Corbyn isn't a faux-populist.

No, Corbyn is very different. For a start Bernie wouldn't pay homage to an organizer of the Munich Olympics massacre and then lie about it, he wouldn't work for Iranian TV, and he wouldn't refer to Hamas and Hezbollah as friends. Corbyn has a great domestic platform but his Third Worldist ideology is pathetic.

it's certainly worth hoping for, but mind my original post here: Trump was the only one that won. And of the lot, he was by far the least sincere and most likely to turn tail and bat for the enemy.

But ultimately, those of us hoping for a Corbyn win AND a successful cold purge of Labour are hoping that the dynamic that got Brexit to win might also emerge for Corbyn. He just needs to stay bold, on message, and campaign his tail off. May is a pathetic tool. She's the perfect candidate for a left upset.

Rob,
You failed to note the big difference between Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn, which is that Corbyn has consistently throughout his political career been a peace advocate, and THAT is what really is supported by a vast number of Brits. Unlike in the US, where all too many people have bought the kool-aid that the US military budget has to suck up 54% of discretionary spending -- a view that Sanders never really challenged in his career or in his recent primary contest with Clinton -- Corbyn has always made cutting Britain's military budget and ending it's lab-dog support for US militarism, central to his politics.

Hopefully this remarkable Labour leader, who wears his views openly on his sleeves, will pull of a surprise win. Maybe Bernie could learn something from him.

Dave Lindorff
founding editor of ThisCantBeHappening.net

I agree completely. My immediate point was that you can win elections by not using the usual tropes (tough on crime, cutting the debt, austerity, etc, etc).

Negative press coverage is still coverage that becomes become positive in a restive populations mind ("she doth protest too much"). that is why memory-holing is so much more effective. Recall how the Chomsky-Herman propaganda model works.

Well, Trump's major opponent faced a pretty withering assault too. But now that Trump's president, I've seen very few articles on server and email information management despite him using an old Android phone and RNC servers (private) to communicate. Good thing the issue is resolved and we are back to no-big-deal-he's-a-Republican thinking.

The primary purpose of Brexit is to get the UK out of environmental, worker and consumer protection laws. While EU membership can be problematic for poorer peripheral countries like Greece or Portugal. The UK withdrawal was deeply reactionary - similar to the Trump election.

The British are not voting for Corbyn (except this few 10s of thousand of his constituency), but rather only their own MP seat and more broadly, the party. In parliamentary systems, the MP's of a party are required to vote as a bloc with only rare exception when the party leader permits a "free vote", so the presence of more conservative individuals is not important. If they don't vote with the party leader, they will not be allowed to run for their seat in the next election - so the purging is pretty much built into the system.

Although he did, as a political calculation, assure UK military intervention in Syria by declaring a rare free vote on the issue, rather than ordering a party-bloc vote.

Yes. In Canada, following almost 10 years of an unpopular right-wing government. And what is supposed to be Canada's "real" left-wing party the NDP, did terribly.

It will be somewhat tougher in the US.

I am going to go out on a limb and predict the loss of the conservative government on June 8. Labor won't win a majority either, but will form a coalition with the even further-left Scottish SNP (about 52 seats). As part of a the coalition deal, Scotland will promise to stay in the UK if they cancel Brexit - through a new vote if necessary.