Home | About | Donate

Jeremy Scahill: Gina Haspel Should Be Answering for Her Torture Crimes, Not Heading the CIA

Jeremy Scahill: Gina Haspel Should Be Answering for Her Torture Crimes, Not Heading the CIA

Democracy Now!

Trump has tapped CIA Deputy Director Gina Haspel to replace outgoing CIA Director Mike Pompeo, after Pompeo was named to succeed Rex Tillerson as secretary of state. Haspel was directly involved in the CIA’s torture program under George W. Bush. She was responsible for running a secret CIA black site in Thailand in 2002 where one prisoner was waterboarded 83 times and tortured in other ways. But she enjoys broad support, including from the intelligence community and Democrats in the Senate. For more, we speak with Jeremy Scahill, co-founder of The Intercept.

I feel a bit sorry for those who are tasked with torturing people. Of course you would need to believe in God and comprehend His Law of Karma to understand why I feel that way. Put yourself in God’s position as he hears and feels the prayers and pain of one of His tortured children who is totally innocent of any crime and has no useful information to provide to relentless interrogators. In God’s eye what would now be fitting?

If there is Karma in the universe, they deserve it. Yeah, I guess I should pity them. In Buddhism they come back as ants.

This is what journalism looks like.

If you’re involved with torture, what more likely place to be than the CIA?

Hey, Garry, I’m an atheist. Atheists come in all kinds of stripes and colors, just like any other religion.

I feel pity on everyone. You know the famous children’s storybook “Everybody Poops”?
Let’s write another one: “Everybody Gets Pooped On”.

If what the military is doing is wrong, most military personnel are going to see that very soon. Guilt can be all-consuming. Those for whom creating devastation is not a problem have a different sort of issue, which also needs compassion, but certainly it doesn’t warrant a promotion.

If we look at history, God has allowed them to suffer.

And, frequently at the hands of “Christian” torturers.

Recall, as well, the “Crusades” - “Inquisitions” - “Burning at the Stake”

We can debate karma until the Rapture, but there’s a perfectly good secular reason (in addition to its proven unreliability) to refrain from torture: maybe if our troops get captured, they won’t be tortured because we don’t torture our captives.

I hope it’s not too late to put that bit of toothpaste back in the tube, but Haspel’s nomination gives me ample reason to doubt.

The only thing worse that Trump as president is the cabinet members he selected. They are too much like him, rich and stupid.

Trump to preside over the richest Cabinet in U.S. history
www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-billionaire-cabinet-picks
Trump to preside over the richest Cabinet in U.S … have served in a presidential Cabinet in history," said … wealth of Trump and his White House create …
wealthiest cabinet in American history - CBS News
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-cabinet-richest-in-us
Donald Trump’s Cabinet richest in U.S. history, historians … a group historians say is the richest in U.S. history. … Man dead after shooting himself near White …
the richest in modern history - The Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/30/donald-trump
When George W. Bush assembled his first Cabinet in … The Washington Post) … back in history. Andrew Mellon, one of the wealthiest Americans in the …

I agree with you, Greenwich. In fact, as Jesus was enduring his own death on the cross while at age 33 still in the prime of life, he asked, "Father, why hast Thou forsaken me? Jesus had done no harm to anyone but instead had healed many. It seems suffering in this world is not always easily explained by Karmic Law. But accepting we are eternal beings in Spirit, our next life experience is completely in God’s hands, wouldn’t you agree…

I should add something written in the Bible at Hebrews 12:6: “Who the Lord loves He disciplines and scourges all who He receives as sons. If you receive no scourging are you not true sons but bastards” (this is the word used in the King James)
So one may conclude that a hard painful life in this world will surely lead to something better for those seeking God.

Hi garry –

Just found your reply in my “spam” – glad I didn’t miss it.

Well, I don’t agree on a “god” – especially an all male god. But I’ve said that I feel we all have a spiritual connection to one another and to Nature. I’m not sure that there ever was a Jesus, either. But the New Testament seems to have begun to respond to the very violent “god” of the Old Testament and Jesus did seem to also be responding to the subjugating of females in the OT, as well. Who knows how much of this loving Jesus was edited out. I do very much believe that love is stronger than hate. And that it is in babyhood and childhood where we learn that. That may be why there are so many attempts to do harm to children and youth and to the relationship with parents. Actual physical harm with vaccines and circumcision of males, incest. And parents are made nervous about hugging their children – and are often taught to separate themselves from their children rather than kissing and hugging them every chance they get.

I’ve often thought about Reincarnation – and 1,000 lives seems rather exhausting to me. :slight_smile:

But I wonder who selects the next life for you – or whether you get to decide. It would be nice if we could all on Ole Abe Lincoln to represent us in those decisions, eh? There have been some rather funny movies made about the subject – and the mistakes that happen. “Defending Your Life” was one of the most recent ones I’m aware of.

Best wishes –

Hi B,

And thank you for your message. Many people are now beginning to question whether Jesus ever existed. The problem with that are his teachings to humanity. If you are a leader of a country and you want a strong army should your soldiers be allowed to read these passages: Matthew 5:38-48… (King James version)

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy
cloke also. 41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others ? do not even the publicans so? 48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Jesus was a revolutionary teacher, Barbara, and not all people, maybe very few can live by such teachings. But as someone who is trying I can say with certainty the Angel you will receive from God as your companion through life will spare you by intuition and on rare occasions, by incredible actual acts, from many disasters. With kind best wishes,  ~garry

Matthew 4

Matthew 6

Top of Page

Top of Page

Many have long questioned the myth of Jesus – including scholars who find no record of him.
And, additionally, the myth of his supernatural origins versus his human existence.

Humans do not require a Bible to understand what is common sense behaviors.
And the experience societies gain in watching human behavior.
These are long standing rules which stem from that knowledge of human nature.

Jesus was a revolutionary teacher, Barbara, and not all people, maybe very few can live by such teachings. But as someone who is trying I can say with certainty the Angel you will receive from God as your companion through life will spare you by intuition and on rare occasions, by incredible actual acts, from many disasters. With kind best wishes, ~garry

You, of course, cannot say anything such thing with “certainty” nor guarantee anything you suggest is “god-related.”

If you want truth, justice and fairness in our societies, it is democracy and separation of church which you should seek out and protect. It is Separation of Church & State which guarantees your right to free thought, free conscience and free will.

As we can see, CHURCH continues to try to attach itself to government in any way possible. This is a danger to democracy and freedom and we should all stand against it wherever we see it.

I’m with you, Barbera. I think even God himself is fed up with the divisive nature of most religions as well as their wormy way of trying to affect government. What I was talking about is the very real personal way an acceptance of the nature of and teachings of the son of God can guide you to Father Spirit when it is one’s time. If you find yourself in a real shitty hopeless situation as I so often have, reciting the Lord’s Prayer, the one we got from Jesus, will surely bring you miraculous results as it has done for me too. You don’t have to be a saint under God but it is important that your heart is in the right place when other people need you.

Kind regards,  ~garry

True – if there is a “god” then HE should be ashamed of himself and his religions.

It’s a very serious issue to understand the value of democracy and its protections against
the evils of organized patriarchal religions which seek to gain “authority” by attaching itself
to government – and needless to say which seeks to PROFIT financially from it’s attachment
to government. Currently we are in violation of Separation of Church & State in taxpayers
now being forced to support the RCC’s “faith-based” organizations as arranged by “W” Bush
and approved by our corrupt Supreme Court.

The many questions of tax exemptions for religions (which now extend to the corrupt Scientology)
but for any organization calling itself a CHURCH where not only is the Church and its surrounding
property exempt, but all of its real estate holdings and its stock portfolio. One of the provisos of
these tax-exemptions is that these “Churches” NOT engage in political activity. As we’ve seen
with the RCC they have been in constant violation of that provision.

Personally – remember that true spirituality arises from within – it self-informs. It does not require
any middle-men to be spiritual.

And, I would think we are long past the time when we look to any spiritual guidance from an all-
male source. Whatever our universal spirituality it is male/female not simply male.

Teachings based in “male-supremacist” religion should be a thing of the past.