Home | About | Donate

Jim Crow in our Climate Crisis

Jim Crow in our Climate Crisis

Alycee Lane

Critics of House Resolution 109 (H. RES. 109)—the “Green New Deal” (GND) introduced in Congress by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.)—have condemned this nonbinding resolution for its inclusion of aspirations which, in their view, have nothing to do with climate change.

1 Like

There’s a more general tactical question raised by the GND: Should demands start from the general, or from the specific?

That human dignity needs to be addressed simultaneously with climate change was eloquently established in Pope Francis’ Laudato Si. Life on Earth is imperiled, not just humans. Solidarity with each other is simply a matter of survival.

But that doesn’t mean that a sentimental resolution in favor of everything good deserves to be taken seriously. Indeed, this is the very form of meaningless sense-of-congress fluff which dishonors sincere activism. Because a well-advised activist knows this much: make it one clear, courageous demand.

Humanity bears a moral responsibility to categorize fossil fuel extraction properly, as the crime of ecocide, the one violation more heinous than a crime against humanity. Perpetrators of ecocide, extractors of fossil fuel, should be arrested, tried, and punished under laws proportionate to the situation we face. This is serious business.

That’s what a real demand looks like, kids.

1 Like

This is my subject. I will answer how “high quality health care” and “affordable, safe and adequate housing” for all relates to global climate collapse and destruction of Earth’s life support systems.

The first thing a young couple does when they are secure is promote a good education for their children.

Education leads to smaller family size and that reduces stress on Earth from resource extraction to expanding habitat for biological diversity which makes the atmosphere we live in.

2 Likes

It would be wonderful if these city councils would decide that where ever a plant is built, that a CEO or other suitable higher up had to move there with their family to be close to the facility. Perhaps then, companies might realize that "establishing justice, " is very far out of reach for so many----And perhaps the threat of imminent bad health to their own families might motivate them to consider that “all men are created equal,” and keeping the equal is the objective.

2 Likes

Thanx, I’ve been screaming that for years. Let the CEO’s live in the filth their corporations create. Let them factor clean up costs in their product they produce. Don’t allow them to file for bankruptcy and have taxpayers fund the cleanup. Let them try to count their money while submersed in their toxic soup when holding their breath. I’m guessing a few hundred $'s at most.

1 Like