Home | About | Donate

Jimmy Carter on US 'Oligarchy' and Corrupting Power of Money on Politics

Carter tried to be the decent person I think. He will be vindicated by history if not by AM radio and Fox News rightwingnuts.

" We've become, now, an oligarchy instead of a democracy."

I disagree with that statement because I would argue that the US has been, at least for the last 120 years dating back to the Illegal invasion of Cuba in 1898, an oligarchy posing as a democracy; especially in terms of its foreign policy.

You are probably right. But the movement toward oligarchy is a sneaky thing. Up until Citizens United, it was approaching more slowly, but then took off like an explosion. It is absolutely staggering the amount of cash being poured into these campaigns by our corporate captors. Jimmy Carter and Bernie Sanders have called it. Have any of the others

Thanks for your reply.

So many of the things this man has done both in the public and private sector's were and are the correct things to do have been undone by those with less vision and compassion. Not just for people but the Planet as well. He has served our Planet and all human's with dignity and grace. He is not perfect by any means but he is and always will be an inspiration for those that can see.

Once more Jimmy Carter speaks truth to power. Actually, the power is easy to observe as once more, past Nixon, though Reagan perfected the "Southern Strategy," the GOP
continues to combine "Citizens United" and Phillips' "invention" to attempt to control the election of 2016. Not difficult to observe the combination though few pay any attention to the danger of controlling the courts on every level and what it has done to government, quite possibly from the very beginning of our "revolution." Those who signed the Declaration of Independence" were not all that different when creating what was questionably a "democracy."

Will the demographic changes in the voting population be the answer to overcoming the power of the courts and those who provide the cash to hold on to control? How many States will continue to pass legislation to suppress the vote while the courts continue to allow it? Or will those in the so called "red states," along with the oligarchs once more take every possible action to deny those power who would advocate equality of all?

Your playing at least 3 dimensional chess with those very good questions. Citizens United was a final blitzkrieg by the PTB, of course. And, like Hitler's last gasp, it looked like a slick move, at first glance. But it fell apart ( or ran out of diesel ) under pressure and push back. We're now seeing a big economic and income pushback by the general populace. Something besides demographics is moving the people to protest. I think it's called 30 days and a couple of paychecks from being homeless and dead broke. The polarization of the left and right is fairly predictable here, under the circumstances. As Molly Ivins said; " the fight is not between the left and right in America, it's between the ups and the downs. " And, the downs are gaining in numbers and losing the income battle big time, currently. Something is going to give pretty soon and I'm sure Pres. Carter is quite aware, in his soothing and cautious way, that telling the populace of this fact is his duty as a patriot and leader, imo.

Some say it will be 2018 or thereabouts. Certainty in these matters is difficult, to be sure, but if Congress is in the hands of the privatizers party ( DLC Dems/Republicans ) much longer, watch out. The financialization of everything/aspect in our society, or the blocking of much needed across-the-board regulatory reforms/laws, will unravel the whole shebang very quickly. It's no longer a snowball rolling downhill but an elephant accidentally falling on a young calf. The result will be sudden, sad and gruesome for the people Romney called " the takers ". Which is about 180 million Americans, btw.

He is definitely a man of honor and integrity ...A man whose honesty is without question...His duty to his fellow man is something not many if any president has ever done after they where out of office...He has used his influence to make the world fair and just even when it was not to be....He will be remembered as one of the Greats and true lover of humanity.
We have not seen a more honest and true president sense he left office not a single president after him has even been close, all we get now are corporate strawmen lovers of gold ..money...power...We have now only those who would sell out his fellow man for a nomination and even more to get elected..They have no morals and can lie to you all day long whilst looking you in the eye while they take money from the evil corp to do us harm ..the embodiment of evil...I have no faith in our government when all they do is take from us and give nothing in return....Instead of leading us all to prosperity they only look out for the bankers...They burden us with debt let corporate monopolies rob us blind and poison our water and air......And their followers are the craziods of religious communism the tyrants of old like the inquisition....They want to force religion down our throats yet they do not practice what they preach they are anything but Christians they cheat the poor and spit on them.. they are liars and cheats..War mongers they sell death for profit..If evil has a face then it is them.

Many have been suppressed when it comes to speaking truth to power. How many here know the name Smedley Butler?

mrsannhitts, I wish I could agree with you and others who believe those who suffer most might in the end rise up. Perhaps I've grown cynical, but in my experience, it is most often
the poor who just don't vote. Too busy trying to earn a living? Maybe don't see any possibility of change? Some of those in poorest states have been those taken in by the "Southern Strategy" by both Nixon and even more so by Reagan. The same "antigovernment ( Washington) sentiment exists today just as it did in WI where along with Koch and
other outside funding kept Scott Walker in the State House. They are also shopping at Wal-Mart and buying Tyson chicken, two of the other big donors out of Arkansas, even if it helps to make ends meet, paying the donors who would defeat them

In addition there will be many who are preaching the gospel from the pulpit and being told "god" and the GOP will take care of you and abortion and same sex marriage is a sin created by Democrats. Never forget it is the Southern Baptist who have more members in the US than those the Pope is speaking to today. Not to mention the influence of the MSM, but even when some get registered vote, some it seems do so based on the last commercial on the tv prior to going to the polls.

Sorry msannhitts, though there appears little, but turmoil among the GOP candidates at this point the situation IMHO doesn't look much better among Democrats. Also, lets not forget the gerrymandering accomplished in way too many States along with the liars over at FAUX "news" who continue to garner the larger numbers of those who watch. Will the Obama strategy work with those who are hurting most economically and Democrats be able to garner the numbers of vote via the electoral college?

BTW no one hopes I'm wrong more than me.

Yup, its a sneaky thing that touts a rhetoric of linear progression while both generating and exploiting exponentially aggregate, non-linear colonization of everything possible. A vampire in cyclops mode.

Shantlananda, you could be termed correct by a professor, but unfortunately we're never going to start the essential Second (but non-violent) American Revolution by telling average citizens to rally round the Revolution against "Oligarchy" (when few know what that even means) --- but only by starting the Second American Revolution against EMPIRE, since that was the only successful one yet, and since Americans understand in their DNA that Empire isn't a democracy or any kind of a government with the consent of the governed.

Kane, with all that money, why don't we call it a "plutocracy", and then there would be even more terms that average Americans don't understand, and that will never ignite the essential Second American Revolution against Empire.

Hey, here's and even better idea, let's have dozens of validly derogatory terms that many different groups, or even every individual, could use to describe the thing we need to Revolt against --- and then we can argue about which academic and confusing sounding terms are best at distracting average people from doing anything against the Empire that is causing all our superficial "identity issues", subordinate 'symptom problems', and our entire "ailing social order".

Or maybe we could just understand history and go with the universal term that has ignited almost all Revolutions:

As Zygmunt Bauman hauntingly puts it, “In the case of an ailing social order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis…is a crucial, perhaps decisive, part of the disease.”13

Berman, Morris (2011-02-07). Dark Ages America: The Final Phase of Empire (p. 22). Norton. Kindle Edition.

"The U.S. state is a key point of condensation for pressures from dominant groups around the world to resolve problems of global capitalism and to secure the legitimacy of the system overall. In this regard, “U.S.” imperialism refers to the use by transnational elites of the U.S. state apparatus to continue to attempt to expand, defend, and stabilize the global capitalist system. We are witness less to a “U.S.” imperialism per se than to a global capitalist imperialism. We face an empire of global capital, headquartered, for evident historical reasons, in Washington."

Robinson, William I. (2014-07-31). Global Capitalism and the Crisis of Humanity (p. 122). Cambridge University Press. Kindle Edition.

I thought Kevein Phillips wrote A fairly revealing and very brave, for the day, account of the Bush Dynasty- Few Americans at that time really understood that Families rise from Hell....Morally, they started at the bottom and went down...
Unlike the Kennedy's, the Sons were not at all interested in atoning for the Father's sins-

Alan, I get it. I have always agreed with your many posts about the evils of Empire. So what would you suggest as a phrase that would rally the great unwashed to the shores of revolution? Oligarchy and plutocracy are too "hard" for most people to understand, you say. So what would work .... "bought & paid for politicians," "rigged elections," "corporate control of Congress." The problems we face are systemic and come from all quarters of our society and beyond. So maybe just
"You're f***ed" would do it. I think a lot of people are beginning to sense that, even if they don't know the exact meaning of plutocracy.

I heard about Butler on the Thom Hartmann show. Butler sure called it right way back when. War is a sham/scam/racket.

Haven't read any of his other books, but had read A very similar Titled Bush Dynasty book that was nowhere near as in depth, detailed or sourced as Phillips- He had quite A scholarly education if my memory serves me well- The guy definitely did his homework on the book I read....

Yes, the Amerikan fascist, Empire needs to be exposed and nothing will probably change until millions and millions of people realize that truth.