Home | About | Donate

Joan Baez Goes Viral With 'Nasty Man,' a Protest Song for the Trump Era

Joan Baez Goes Viral With 'Nasty Man,' a Protest Song for the Trump Era

Nika Knight, staff writer

Joan Baez, protest singer of the peace and civil rights movements of the 1960s, has gone viral with a protest song for today's Trump era, called "Nasty Man."

The song features roses in the Rose Garden telling President Donald Trump that he "owes the Earth a pardon;" pokes fun at the president for his border wall plans and Melania Trump's notable absence from the White House; and suggests that he "better talk to a shrink" for his "serious psychological disorders."

This is for my generation who began life losing JFK, MLK, RFK who tried to stop the Vietnam War of empire.

" Better talk to a shrink."

From my perspective, Trump is way beyond getting any psychological help from a shrink by talking; I will not feel safe until Trump is frog marched out of the oval office in a straight jacket, and committed to an insane asylum before it is too late!

Locked in Guantanamo would be better than an asylum. Asylum residents deserve better than the likes of Trump.

Perhaps a sequel to this song could be titled "Trump is just a five letter word" ?

:heart_eyes: Joanie! She also wrote a heartbreakingly beautiful endorsement for Bernie Sanders.

Goddess bless Joan Baez!

Injecting ridicule of Trump into the mainstream as springtime advances is a timely essential to seeing the savage, vicious madness infusing our culture undone. The huge backfire generated by and aimed at the elitist Pepsi commercial debacle should be seen as encouraging, but the corporate-speak must be further exposed in order to inform and politically coopt the young for whom it was produced. Time to flush the airhead zeroes (Kardashians) and to expose more fully the phony teen-angst crooners (Swift) who cynically exploit the impressionable among us. Wake up mommy and daddy: finally--finally--the times are changing. But it's only a start. Much hard, determined work remains.

It is just amazing how listening to and seeing her sing her new protest song ... healed a lot of getting old.

She is one of the brave ones like was Pete Seeger and others who helped make the protests of the Sixties - us! The conservative media wants to describe the Sixties as nothing but drugs and dropping out but they were really about protests and civil rights and human rights. Joan Baez graciously brave as always, gave us the blessing of her spectacular voice ... and her dedicated - liberated - heart.

The phrase "go to a shrink" is profoundly insensitive to those living with mental illness - notably depression and anxiety - which claims many tens of thousands of lives a year in both suicide and co-morbid illnesses. it is similar to calling a physically disabled person a "spaz" or a "cripple". I wish Joan had not used that word.

I agree. Insensitive.

Part of the work that remains is to get thee to a rally this Sat 4/8 to remind the lawmakers near you that we need them to pass HR 676, the Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act. This would replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA) or Obamacare with a streamlined plan that researchers estimate will save about $500 billion annually, according to cosponsors at PNHP--Physicians for a National Health Plan. Deborah Burger, president of National Nurses United (NNU), which will also participate in the day of action, adds, "Nurses will never stop fighting until healthcare is guaranteed as a human right, not just as a privilege." More info at the article here on Common Dreams: 'Now Is the Time': Nationwide Medicare for All Rallies to Take Place April 8.

I agree the phrase is insensitive, and as a songwriter myself, she may have needed a short one-syllable. Not to excuse the impact of "shrink," but as a health care provider myself, I would hope those whom the term fits, actively "shrink" depression, sadness, and stress by empowering people, raising self-esteem, and engaging them with others in hope-building and future-oriented activities.

Love Joan - I'm 67 so we are of a generation and we understand where she's coming from. Even at 76 yo she can still sing albeit a bit more hoarse :slight_smile:

Thank you, Joan. Dammit, you are still so cute!! and telling it like it is. Ain't it a shame it hasn't changed and its only gotten worse. We gotta learn to withdraw our labor. It is our labor that keeps this fascist enterprise running.