Home | About | Donate

Joe Biden Is a Link to the Past—and Not In a Good Way

Joe Biden Is a Link to the Past—and Not In a Good Way

Paul Waldman

oe Biden is, in so many ways, a man from a Democratic Party of another time. Yet as he inches closer to a campaign to lead the Democratic Party of 2020, he is suddenly finding himself being asked questions that had lay dormant while he served ably as Barack Obama's vice president for eight years, questions that get right to the heart of what his party stands for.

2 Likes

That is to me, exactly why Joe is the darling of the corporate media and they keep telling us Joe is leading all the other candidates in their democratic, polls.

3 Likes

"Say it isn’t so, Joe. Actually, just say you’ll go."

Away.

7 Likes

Based on his past, He is not a bridge to the future. Unless Status Quo corporatism is the goal.

2 Likes

Isn’t it apparent after the last 2 years, that the Democratic Party is intentionally focused on maintaining its ‘centrist’ (really, right-wing neocon/neoliberal militarist austerity) orientation? Isn’t it apparent that the leadership of the party is punching left and elevating right-wingers as much as vigorously as possible? Isn’t it apparent that the Democrats are just fine with Trump winning another term in 2020? Isn’t it apparent that a Republican POTUS provides the Democrats essential cover so that can pass repressive legislation & pick up corporate money & still blame it all on the Republicans?

3 Likes

If Biden pulls off a miracle and gets the nomination, I hope the author comes back to reassess the d-party. Because somehow Uncle “Grab Ass” Joe is polling well in the here and now.

We’ve seen our elections being rigged. I’m guessing Polls are easier. Note how our exit polls have been inaccurate since the Bush Judicial Coup in 2000

3 Likes

To me it is. LOL
Which is why I need to see a serious track record over time of working in my favor before I support. And why I will never Blue no matter who again.

Examples: AOC is getting my attention. She’s building an interesting track record. Tulsi, getting there. On the other hand: Buttigieg not so much. tiny track record no way to tell which way he will fall. And at the bottom of the barre the status quo ‘centrist’ crowdl: Biden, Harris, Beto others. Terrible corporate records.

2 Likes

True. And one could also argue if Joe were the nominee his likely opponent isn’t any better on this issue. But all it takes is a little less turnout and regardless of high polls (e.g., https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html) this guy is going to suppress turnout. I’m afraid he’s another of too many egomaniacs and thinks only he can save us. The sooner his advisors can talk some sense into him, the sooner we get to see where these ~25% of the people will go. But of course they have a conflict of interest, so I sure hope there is somebody who is talking to him to let him down gently. I’m pretty sure he’s in the set that could lose to Trump.

As far as unwanted touch goes, I’m pretty sensitive to this as even as a guy - I can’t imagine what women go through - keep your damn hands off me outside of a handshake unless we are buddies. Funny, I was watching the animated Spiderman movie last night and there is a scene where the main character is told to put his hand on the shoulder of a girl he likes and I wondered if she was going to belt him (she doesn’t, but I would have written in that way) - pretty good movie regardless.

1 Like

I agree, he is the candidate that if nominated, will lose to Trump. It would be like 2016 all over again.

3 Likes

To help assess the reported actions of Joe Biden, imagine if he had done the same things to a male staffer or legislator. Would his actions be assessed as innocuous, gender neutral?

Unfortunately Joe Biden DOES represent the Democratic party of the present. We have barely a year and a half to make him and his ilk history, and by “we” I mean all progressives within the Democratic party, and beyond (e.g., me). I would gladly vote Green again, but the next national election is a plebiscite on the future of humankind and of the planet. I will NOT vote for any of the crowd Phred_Pharkel mentions above or any other such fossils, so what WILL we do if we are unable to drag the Democratic party into the 21st century two decades late?

2 Likes

Tear down the party for a new one. Frankly that is the only solution I see minus full scale revolution.

No mainstream Democrat can claim to be a bridge. At best they are a pier over an abyss.

1 Like

True, but my point is that the window to avert catastrophic global warming, having been open for 30 years and flung wide for at least half that time is closing rapidly. If we (humankind) do not have a fairly detailed plan in place that will start the comprehensive mobilization at noon on 1/20/2021 we will likely be boiled alive.

2 Likes

“Biden is the embodiment of the idea that winning the support of That Guy is the one true path to Democratic success. Not exciting African-American voters, or young voters, or Latino voters. Not engaging the millions of Americans who would vote for Democrats if someone convinced them to register. Not mobilizing the Democratic electorate as the party did so successfully in 2018, but winning over some of those endlessly glorified white working-class men.”

Nothing wrong with winning over the votes of working-class white men. But not on the basis of pandering to macho fantasies, or insulting and writing off other constituencies. Win it on the basis of jobs, health care, education, and being fearless and punching back about the REAL source of their troubles: Four decades of sold-out neoliberal corporatist politicians of BOTH parties, and the predatory corporate ruling class that pays them to divide-and-conquer. Like Joe Biden.

3 Likes

The 2020 Presidential race:

Herr Trump v. Hair Smeller.

Vive les Verts!!

" He proceeded to plant a big slow k-"

EEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!

Good piece. Good point about going for the fictitious white male working class swing voter that supposedly will respond to a right liberal Democrat - when, in fact, that voter is more likely to vote left, given a chance:

But Waldman’s list of Biden’s old-style-Democrat views that ‘don’t look so good now,’ leaves out his influential support for the March 2003 Iraq invasion when - as Chair of the Democratic-controlled Senate’s Senate Foreign Relations Committee - he not only promoted already-debunked WMD/al Qaeda claims, but chose mainly pro-invasion speakers to prop up those fraudulent claims:

When they wheel out their groping, flap jaw warhorse, watch for the apologetics to begin from the right liberal journalist class.

btw - for an educative laugh on Biden, see the left wing comedy/media/political group ‘Chapo Trap House’ on youtube:

1 Like

His advocacy for banks and credit card companies concerns me, when at this point in time those two should be scutinized for many of their actions.
I would hate to have someone in office who would favor them over the citizens attempting to survive in this economy, which I do not think is that great, even though every politician swears it to be true.
That is why I would not vote for Biden if the election were held today.

2 Likes