Home | About | Donate

John Lennon Still Lives Among Us

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/06/john-lennon-still-lives-among-us

4 Likes

Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King are great examples of fantastic nonviolents who died violently. I can never work that out. We’re pacifists, but I’m not sure what it means when you’re such a pacifist that you get shot. I can never understand that.

• John Lennon

Part of me suspects that I’m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I’m God Almighty.

• John Lennon

My defenses were so great. The cocky rock and roll hero who knows all the answers was actually a terrified guy who didn’t know how to cry. Simple.

• John Lennon, John Lennon: In His Own Words
6 Likes

Generally speaking, you become a ‘media friend’ when you help transmit the interests of the media (i.e. centralized corporate power in the industrial world, and state power in the rest). If you are Assange, the corporate media has a way to unfriend and attack and debase you. John Lenon’s message may have been right, but he was not risking anything by speaking about peace and justice. If you were a singer in Eastern Europe at that time you risked your life for speaking out, and the media would not dare even mention your name. Artificially created ‘celebrities’ today, seem some sort of replacement for the ‘saints’ of yesterday.

2 Likes

Imagine

He made that one word so Powerful and Inspirational that it touched countless people, I being one of them, so much so that the melody, the lyrics, and the Message are forever etched in my brain and heart. RIP John.

10 Likes

I agree with your main message, except the part, “he was not risking anything by speaking about peace and justice”.
The author left out an important part of the Mark David Chapman story in his article. Chapman’s parents were good friends with George H.W. Bush and his wife, and were supposedly going to eat dinner together the next night, those plans were cancelled after the assassination of Lennon to put distance between the two families. With Bush’s background, and Chapman’s erratic behavior, it’s not conspiracy theory to believe Chapman was subjected to some kind of MK Ultra like brainwashing prior to his deed.
Most of the freedom lyric musicians of that era were subjected to harassment by the US government for a variety of issues, Lennon himself had to go to court for citizenship and issues about him living in the US for example.

7 Likes

John Lennon wasn’t my media friend. He was one of my idols. Elvis Presley held that spot until 1962 when I first became aware of the Beatles.

Many of you here at Common Dreams are my media friends.

You know who you are.

10 Likes

the author of this article, as well as the commenters thus far, have all omitted the single most shocking and largely suppressed fact relating to lennon’s murder.

Jose Sanjenis Perdomo was working as night doorman and was outside the Dakota on Dec. 8, 1980, the night of Lennon’s murder. He was at the crime scene when the shooting occurred and reportedly screamed “Leave! Get out of here!” before he asked Mark David Chapman immediately afterwards if he knew what he had just done. Chapman reportedly replied that he had just shot John Lennon. Perdomo was the one who identified Chapman as the assailant.

Jose Sanjenis Perdomo, a man of many aliases, was a Chief of Police during Cuban President’s Carlos Prio’s regime. Perdomo went into exile after Fidel Castro took power and was recruited by the CIA. Working from CIA/Miami station in the early 1960s. He recruited most of the members of Operation 40, a CIA assassination team. (source for this information: wikispooks, an encyclopedia of deep politics, or as detractors would have it, ‘conspiracy theorists’).

given this info., which is corroborated at least in part by other more mainstream sources, and given that john lennon was a very famous, popular, and outspoken peace activist and enemy of the establishment, and given that other very influential threats to the establishment (like MLK jr., for example) have been assassinated under similar circumstances, with ‘lone nuts’ always taking the blame, i think it’s very likely lennon’s murder was also orchestrated by the deep state, with CIA involvement.

6 Likes

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, ‘The Beatles did’.

• Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., Timequake
6 Likes

John lives in my heart and not just on Dec 8th.

7 Likes

Exactly my thoughts too! To this day, I can repeat the lyrics to John’s song Imagine. A very beautiful song and still relevant today.

7 Likes

I asked that question to a very wise man and he answered me: " BECAUSE WE HAVE ALL BEEN SENT TO HELL AND THE DEVIL HAS ARRANGED IT SO THAT WE DO NOT KNOW IT". Maybe not true, but you do have to admit…it makes sense!

3 Likes

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

• Robert Frost
8 Likes

Important information, thanks for bringing it to the discussion.

2 Likes

I still have my “Lennon Lives” t-shirt.
But, at the time of his murder was he still a political threat?
I have a complete body of his and the bands work, including all of the anthology’s.
Listen to something every week or so.

4 Likes

You may say that we are all Common Dreamers…but we are not the only ones. With apologies to John Lennon.

10 Likes

Enjoyed reading your post. Thanks, Shanti.

2 Likes

Surprise surprise.

I was asleep at home when John Lennon shot. I was still in my teens and there was no radio or TV down there. I had this very lucid dream. A series of voices came from deep within me and this was followed by all manner of music. Much of it was by the beatles. Some were songs I had never heard before. It was like I tapped into something deep and great. I woke feeling warm and fuzzy while feeling joyous and sad at the same time. I went upstairs and my older sister came in from her job. She said “did you hear the news…Someone shot John Lennon”.

We are all connected. All of life is connected. John Lennon was taken from us, yet he will always remain.

8 Likes

It is apparently a common pattern in hits on well known individuals to cultivate individuals who will be believable fall guys and who are confused enough to be drawn to the site or even to perform the deed.

Another common theme is to hire it out. You hire some person or group that has no loyalty to the victim. So domestic hits would usually be hired to someone foreign or otherwise distant.

This apparently allows really extreme and even large public actions to take place with relatively little public scrutiny. Some information leaks, but deniability does not have to be very plausible to work as long as certain specifics cannot be easily corresponded.

So, for instance, a CIA doorman to the Dakota is nothing if not suspicious, but forty years later, what can we really verify, and what would be bring to a court case?

1 Like

Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/ The End

“And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.”

3 Likes