Home | About | Donate

Join Us on the Journey for Justice

Join Us on the Journey for Justice

Rachel Rye Butler

860 miles. That’s the distance that marchers with America’s Journey for Justice are traveling this summer—and there’s a major movement traveling alongside them.

How many honest participants in this forum don't appreciate the marked difference between a description of events as demonstrated in this paragraph and the usual "blame ALL people" for the travesties being done unto our beloved Earth Mother:

"In a clear example of the connections between money in politics and negative outcomes for people and the environment, Duke Energy has lobbied hard against comprehensive coal ash clean up in the wake of its 2014 Dan River coal ash spill, which resulted in the passage of lax legislation that virtually absolved the company of all financial responsibility for the clean up and instead pushed the cost on North Carolinians. Meanwhile, communities are still reeling from the disaster."

The above points to a common practice. It is NOT the practice of the majority of everyday working persons. It is an industrial protocol that enables Energy companies (along with Big Pharma, Big Agri, past mining operations and D.O.D. weapons contractors) to skim profits off the top and leave the SCAR tissue--in the form of costly chemical cleanups--to the communities ecologically raped, pillaged, and plundered... and then just left behind.

Incidentally, this model advanced during the Vietnam War when Monsanto, acting as a corollary to the Military-Industrial-Complex produced all that KILLER Agent Orange that tainted U.S. troops' mental functions while leaving legions of Cancer-stricken people behind in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc. And NEVER an iota of redress.

This is the model of Domination as practiced by today's Vulture and Disaster-bearing Capitalists as they spread their Shock Doctrine far and wide.

The constant and deliberate use of frames that insist that everyday people are the responsible parties not only keeps the trespassers from answering for THEIR crimes, this verbal jujitsu reinforces the existing paradigm of destruction. After all, if WE are ALL guilty, how is change conceivable? THAT is why it's dangerous and disingenuous to adopt the frame of THE trespassers.

"The same corporate interests that are dumping toxic coal ash in drinking water and polluting the air are also denying health care access, education and voting rights to citizens across the country."

Precisely!

They also no doubt hold stocks in the growing legion of hospitals AS corporate entities that then charge phenomenal sums to "treat" the conditions which these toxic exposures cause!

Also, with so much deregulation allowing for our water, air, and soils to turn into toxic sewers... the CLIMATE of such appalling chemical trespass makes it all the more difficult to prove--beyond a reasonable doubt--that any single toxic offender (and the company that produces it) can be held accountable for reverberations in and through the public's health. As if rising Cancer rates are not themselves equivalent canaries in the coal mine... shrieking.

Not all human beings identify with Disaster Capitalists, embrace THEIR bankrupt morality, profit from their dealings, vote for these actions, or support them. THAT is why it's imperative that people not so passively fall into one uniform, collective WE-camp. The term is being used to wipe out dissent by insisting on a uniform consent that IS NOT THERE! Making that dissent invisible is part of the covert operation of messaging teams who have studied human behavior and understand HOW to manipulate through the subtlest of means.

If you ask questions, be prepared for logical answers: by us ALL changing.
Not that I personally would (oops - edit) say we are all GUILTY. But we are, nonetheless, all INVOLVED. That's just the way that reality is built.

Sorry, but I am suspicious of the mindset that can do nothing other than point fingers.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
I'm no christian either, but can also see how the meek shall inherit the Earth.
The tragedy of the powerful is that they are too busy fighting over it.

As someone once put to song:
There is no political solution
To our troubled evolution...

It has been my long and painful experience that despite Susan Rose's endless stream of crude insults flung wildly about these comment threads for years, the site moderators will not uphold the commenting guidelines.

How many honest participants in this forum don't appreciate the marked difference between the March for Justice organizers who are directly calling on all of us to take action to build democracy and justice in the face of rampant horror, and Susan Rose's endlessly repeated frame that there is nothing that we can do about anything but must wait for societal collapse.

OK - please engage here.

First off, I have no pals. Like you, I find as soon as I go into detail it seems NO ONE agrees with me. That's my problem.

In terms of who is to BLAME, I follow your ideas in this post and have no problem with them. But what I would add is that blaming the more guilty - or even the less guilty for that matter - seems rather pointless as no one ever stands up and says Yes it's my fault. Such blame might be justified, but to what end?

More generally, I can understand your overall perspective which is just another variety of my own and many other posters and writers on CDs in terms of correcting the monstrous bias within the mainstream media and highlighting the fake attempts at legitimacy of those in power, Speaking to people who are supposedly informed via mainstream channels it is natural to want highlight the grand corruption that exists at the top of the pyramid and is orchestrated from there.

But should that be as far as the debate is taken when those at the top are so evidently not listening to any of us on CDs (except perhaps via the NSA!)?

On a more anthropolical front, it seems to me that if anyone wants people to buy into their ideas and analyses as regards what is really going on in human development, then there should be no no-go zones for discussion. So a holistic approach can legitimately use the term WE inasmuch as it is silly to imagine that any parts of society evolve in isolation from others.

In this sense to say that WE have created the current mess is a fact that nonetheless does NOT - as I am sure you will agree - imply that we are all equally to blame. Being obsessed with where to point the finger is, as explained above, not very productive when posting on CDs (no wonder you're pissed off), whereas taking a broader view opens up debate, including allowing you to engage constructively with others as regards issues you obviously feel passionate about such as why we live in such a sexist world.

My favorite historical character, Niccolo Machiavelli, had two favorite sayings: It is better to see world as it is than to assume that it is as it is supposed to be, (by which our too big to fail energy firms deserve quite a bit of blame for mess they make), and results matter more than intentions (by which it is better to figure out how to clean up mess and reduce chances of further mess [all at taxpayer expense] than to waste effort on fighting our too big to fail energy firms). One way to clean up some mess and reduce chances of further mess is for federal government to buy from our too big to fail military industrial complex firms electric grid upgrade equipment and renewable energy equipment (both generating and storage) and place equipment with electric utilities with orders to keep 20% of generation charge for maintenance and operation and pass on 80% of generation charge from this equipment placed by federal government with utilities to too big to fail fossil fuel firms to console them for their loss of sales.