Home | About | Donate

Jorge Ramos Commits Journalism, Gets Immediately Attacked by Journalists

Jorge Ramos Commits Journalism, Gets Immediately Attacked by Journalists

Glenn Greenwald

The Republican presidential candidate leading every poll, Donald Trump, recently unveiled his plan to forcibly deport all 11 million human beings residing in the U.S. without proper documentation, roughly half of whom have children born in the U.S. (and who are thus American citizens).

Thanks Mr. Greenwald. I can imagine Trump or any other of these fascist clowns claiming that human skin lampshades and human fat laundry soap would be good for the U.S. economy and the Mediocre Stream Media would nod their heads and say, Yeah, OK, I have to be objective.
Another instance of "there's not much more to say".
Peace
Po

After Shrub was caught oh-so red-handedly seeding the questioning "journalists" does anyone really watch this stuff anymore? Sadly, probably yes... (Nice headline, by the way.)

Trump's arrogance is disgusting. And viewing his big daddy know it all approach to politics as having any value at this stage of the game walks the line between laughable and tragic.

And then there's forcibly removing 11 million human beings from the country?!! That's got to be problem solving at it's best.

This is FAR too kind and it's also naïve:

"A Good Journalist must pretend they have no opinions, feign utter indifference to the outcome of political debates, never take any sides, be utterly devoid of any human connection to or passion for the issues they cover, and most of all, have no role to play whatsoever in opposing even the most extreme injustices."

Actually, in today's corporately-controlled news MARKET, only those journalists willing to repeat Official Narratives and decidedly dishonest TWISTS on actual events get to hold their positions.

In a phase that has all of the markings of Inverted Totalitarianism, journalists merely recite what they are told to recite. They are obedient sycophants.

How else to explain--as Robert Parry so often does--the lock-step nature of their news analyses as pertaining to Syria--where the Talking Point du jour was "Assad gassing his own people," or the news about Ukraine featuring Putin AS aggressor. And so much of this goes back to 911 when to question THE STORY was to be tarred and feathered as an un-American (Hello, ghost of McCarthy!)--GUILTY of siding with the terrorists--journalist.

Check out what the charismatic Naomi Wolf has to say about all this. It goes far further than any journalist's version of "political correctness":

And to show that IT continues under Obama's administration (as carried over from The Bush Junta):

While there are many good journalists, American journalism is in dire straits. The corporatization of journalism has voided the profession of ethical commitments and critical values. As Mr. Greenwald notes, the spurious doctrine of journalistic "neutrality" has been elevated into a dogma. But when those in power are dedicated to lies and secrecy, neutrality is not a high principle indicative of "professionalism"; it is rather a craven and opportunistic concession to the interests of the powerful, who do not want the public informed, but prefer them to be distracted, entertained or simply kept confused or ignorant. Mainstream journalists wrongly conflate neutrality with objectivity. One can be objective in the way one reports a story, but one cannot be neutral on its moral and political implications, unless one is lacking in all that makes for ethical and social responsibility.

Can you imagine a mainstream corporate journalist in the ante bellum USA or in Nazi Germany? These worthies would offer up the proslavery view and abolitionism as if they were moral equivalents. After listening to one of Hitler's racist rants they would probably describe him as an "impassioned patriot" who commands 33% of the vote and they would leave it at that, as though the mad monstrous demagogue was just another politician canvassing for votes.

I'm not saying that Donald Trump is Adolf Hitler, but there are Hitleresque elements in Trump's rhetoric that ought to trouble any person with an ounce of moral decency, regardless of whether they consider themselves "liberal" or "conservative." Alas, decency is a dead dog in today's United States: the Republican Party is fundamentally INDECENT and the Democrats are hardly better when it comes to certain issues. I mean Obama is as bad as George W Bush and his fascistic advisors when it comes to propagating the criminal violence of the Empire.

These are surreal times: a candidate for the Presidency says we need to deport 11 million people to make our country "great again" (!!), and some journalists are more concerned that the candidate was disrespected by a maverick member of their own profession. They seem to think that it's more important to preserve good manners than to get at Truth and Right. Trump is asking us to entertain a police state in which armed agents of the state forcibly remove people from their homes; in which concentration camps are set up; in which the whole populace is subjected to surveillance and discipline. What has been the historical record of states which engage in these kinds of practices? The answer is easily had, and yet we have to spend time lamenting Jorge Ramos' "rudeness" rather than debating Donald Trump's madness!

Mainstream journalists think highly of themselves as "media professionals," but their self-congratulation is unwarranted. The US has the greatest communications industry in the world and one of the most ignorant political cultures. The media are most likely a central cause of political illiteracy and apathy. The media parrot every mendacious lie of the government, even when it's obvious to all that the lie is absurd. Colin Powell's performance at the UN, when presenting the argument for war with Iraq, is a case in point. Powell's "evidence" for Iraqi WMD was so ludicrous that I almost laughed into my cornflakes when I heard his testimony. But the media treated Powell as though he were an honest man, who knew what he was talking about. The same ridiculous "neutrality" (which is really pro-government bias) can be seen in the media's handling of the Iran question. The media keep speaking of Iran's nuclear weapons program, when even the CIA says that Iran does not have such a program. The American media have basically been behaving as a propaganda mouthpiece for the lunatic Neocons and their fellow lunatics in Israel. No wonder a sizeable number of Americans think that Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11. The more TV you watch, the more you are made an inhabitant of that make-believe land where so many of our fellow citizens have taken up residence.

If you want to know something of the way the world really works, turn off the television and radio, and open your eyes and ears. You have more reason to trust your own senses, your own experience, than the nonsense which is daily conveyed to you by the so-called "free media."

What do you think if a Muslim journalist had questioned any of the R or D candidates in the manner that this Ramos dude interrupted Trump? Let's cut out the PC crap!

Illegal immigrants--out!

The Yes Men have a video in which they are speaking to a well-heeled crowd and on the table are candles. The crowd does not know who the Yes Men are, thinking they are speakers at this event. When the Yes Men say that someone (Manuel? who was a maintenance man?) somehow gave his life happily (perhaps he was sick and couldn't afford care, i can't remember)--anyway, gave his life and was gratified to know that his flesh would be rendered as candles and those were the candles burning at the tables, you might be surprised at how many people in that room seemed okey dokey with all that. Some did register some shock and some "ewwws," but a lot of them seemed to take it in stride, like it was fine.

Soon after, they realized they had been snookered and i'm sure that some were ashamed, but it was a real eye opener. I think it was their first film?

You rock, Mr. Ramos!

Forget the pop "history" about Hitler--how do you think our leaders would have reacted if a Treaty of Versailloes was shoved down their throats? Hint--think of our response to 9/11...

No, he does NOT

Settle down. My bet, most, if not all, American Journalists believe Trump has no chance of being the Republican nominee.

As for "neutrality," there is no such thing.

With all the money Trump has, he could probably bribe his way to get elected. I think about those voting machines people were so suspect over during the Bush elections, too.
The fact is that enough people in the US support this man and the things he says, that he hasn't been shamed or relegated into the extremist bozo category and rendered into obscurity - says a lot about the cooperation and/or tolerance of the American people, to allow him to come this far.

About journalism: during the 1996 Olympics, I moved out of my home city and to this small town to stay with my mother. I easily found stringer work at the flagship newspaper in town, at the bureaus. The bureau chief I worked for then was promoted to a senior editor position on the daily, eventually. This man published op-eds in support of Pat Buchanan for president. What is more is that he published an article in the daily supporting the National Alliance. The Neo-Nazi National Alliance. He is also a member of the League of the South.
While working under him, as I was preparing my return to "the Big City" I mentioned something about the conservative nature of the publication, not necessarily critical but stating an observation.
Many years later I moved back to this town because of hardships and once my health improved I tried to apply for a position at this newspaper and the others managed by its corporate owner. Under no uncertain terms I have been barred from working from any newspapers locally under this enterprise.
Not that I would want to work for any bona-fide Neo-Nazi and his ilk.

If by chance Trump is elected, I am going to gather up whatever resources available and I am leaving the country. If my health allows, I will - by hook or by crook, even if I have to stow away on a cargo vessel. Then, I'm gonna squawk.

All illegal immigrants and their offspring, OUT!

BACK TO EUROPE!

Yes Bear,

Trump and Wall Street are O.K. with human lampshades for profit. The Yes men had spoofed a fake website and got invited to the Oil Baron's Ball to speak to 300 oil men. Wiki said:

Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonanno pose as ExxonMobil executives.

On June 14, 2007, the Yes Men acted during Canada's largest oil conference in Calgary, Alberta, posing as ExxonMobil and National Petroleum Council (NPC) representatives (in the top photo.) In front of more than 300 oilmen, the NPC was expected to deliver the long-awaited conclusions of a study commissioned by U.S. Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman. The NPC is headed by former ExxonMobil CEO Lee Raymond, who is also the chair of the study.[22] When the Yes Men arrived at the conference they said that Lee Raymond (the promised speaker) was unable to make it due to a pressing situation with the president.

The Yes Men then went on to give a presentation in place of Lee Raymond.
In the actual speech, the "NPC rep" announced that current U.S. and Canadian energy policies (notably the massive, carbon-intensive processing of Alberta's oil sands, and the development of liquid coal) are increasing the chances of huge global calamities. But he reassured the audience that in the worst case scenario, the oil industry could "keep fuel flowing" by transforming the billions of people who would die into oil.[23]

The project, called Vivoleum, would work in perfect synergy with the continued expansion of fossil fuel production. The oilmen listened to the lecture with attention, and then lit "commemorative candles". At this point, event security recognized the Yes Men and forced them off stage, and the 'punchline' — that the candles were made of Vivoleum obtained from the flesh of an "Exxon janitor" who died as a result of cleaning up a toxic spill — was not delivered to the audience, but only to reporters.[24]

Gotta love those Yesmen! They are now on the Corporate CIA chit-list for exposing the barbarism of Oil Men, so I think they are shut down. The corporate CIA is called Stratfor (Strategic Forecasting) and wikileaks exposed that they were rigging the stock market, delaying trade executions until they could bet against them.

Yes. But I find that journalism no longer exists. It seems that journalism has smoothly eased into product placment, a Public Relations tool, and of course ubiquitous over-marketing to slack jawed American consumers. And we can easily graph this situation starting in the early 1990s as Murdock's Fox News completed this slide into a steaming pile of excrement. However, excrement appears to be the most useful product of Free-Market Kapitalism..

Perhaps what Trump and you fail to comprehend is that Ramos was treated like a non-citizen, the way a Fascist dictator would treat any one who dared question his statements. How dare a reporter ask questions! God forbid that a journalist ask questions at a press conference. For Christ sakes!

There is a great deal to unwrap with your lack of critical thinking skills, but I will keep it simple. Trump wants to dictate who can ask questions. That is the very basis of his apathy directed toward Ramos, or any "foreigner" who would dare question him. Gosh, but Trump lets us all see how thin his skin is! Massive weak spot. Most would see this as an indication that such a person is not a real quality person by most any measurement, let alone someone who should be president.

wow. even worse and more complex than i remembered. Interesting, too--didin't know about StratFor. thx.

The usual unthinking words of someone descended from the white invaders who destroyed the native populations, the environment and any "different" human who happened to arrive or be brought to the exceptional country.