Home | About | Donate

Judging U.S. War Crimes

Judging U.S. War Crimes

Kathy Kelly

Chelsea Manning, who bravely exposed atrocities committed by the U.S. military, is again imprisoned in a U.S. jail. On International Women’s Day, March 8, 2019, she was incarcerated in the Alexandria, VA federal detention center for refusing to testify in front of a secretive Grand Jury. Her imprisonment can extend through the term of the Grand Jury, possibly 18 months, and the U.S. courts could allow the formation of future Grand Juries, potentially jailing her again.

3 Likes

I am reading Stephen Kinzer’s (2017) The True Flag, which is a great read on the evolution of the Empire of USA from its former status as a republic through the undertaking and aftermath of the Spanish-American War. The right debate was held. The wrong side prevailed. It is a great read to help one ponder how we got to where we are. Perhaps with such insight, we can ponder how to steer the course of history to a better destination. With reference to this article, it is clear that censorship is criminal. Sunlight is indeed the best disinfectant.

6 Likes

How is this different than Trump shooting somebody on 5th Avenue?

1 Like

Everyone must totally understand why she spoke out. Why doesn’t the court just look over he transcripts? Why does she have to be in court—when the soldiers in that video act as if this is all a video game are asking, ;“Can we shoot,” That’'s very creepy, very creepy. And it gives a totally different view to a famous line—although I might have it wrong " Give a man a man to fish, he’ll eat for the day, teach a man to fish and he’ll eat for life… weirdly what popped into my mind was " Teach a man to kill and he’ll kill for life----and soon populate the forces of ICE."
When I read about Mai Lai, I read about Hugh Thompson and how he stood up to the military’s love of that massacre. Truth tellers are not welcomed in he military, are they.: (

8 Likes

Implicit in Trump’s comment was that it could have been even a white, Christian person on 5th avenue to take the bullet. Most people in this country still believe that kind of murder is wrong.

0 Likes

There’s a story I heard about Plato–not sure if it’s true or whether it’s recorded in one of his dialogues. Someone proposed to him that the test of morality is when you do what is right even when no one is looking, and Plato countered that a better test is when you do right when everyone is looking.

1 Like

I remember watching that video footage years ago and being disgusted and horrified.

Only in a dysfunctional country and world would such behavior be tolerated. And war be a “solution” to conflict. Or further, a methodology to gain access to resources.

And that particular incident is just the tip. All kudos to those who care enough to speak out against such vulgar and disgusting behavior. And envision and work toward another kind of future.

6 Likes

Great article about Collateral Murder.

I watched the whole thing several times, and the one part not included in Amy’s narrative was what was said by the crew after it was over. Either the gunner or the pilot said with great satisfaction, “that will teach them not to bring your kids to a gunfight”, some crude remark typical of bigots.

Good on Manning for doing her patriotic duty. The brave citizens go to jail it seems.

4 Likes

Chelsea Manning should get the Nobel Peace Prize.

6 Likes

This actually happened.

0 Likes

U.S. War Crimes date back to the Spanish-American War. Imperialism requires the slaughter of the innocents for resource plunder. Why should we be surprised? Dresden, WW2 allied bombers burned alive 100 K civilians for no military objective. My Lai was one of many massacres by our brave killers. The zio NYT has supported all these genocides including the present day deaths of Palestinians at the hands of Israeli butchers.

4 Likes

U.S. war crimes go back to the early days of the U.S., when cavalry slaughtered Native People. Remember the Wounded Knee Massacre!

2 Likes

Several years ago, a friend sent me something his cousin had sent him to show what a good job they were doing in Afghanistan. It just about froze my blood. It was all footage from a chopper, much of it in infrared.
*There was a nomad village of black tents. Some kids ran out of the tents and looked up, then ducked back into the tents.
*Chopper “Don’t hit the tents, there are kids in there!”
*On the back side of the hill, there was a NATO attack force climbing the hill. On the village side, there were armed men climbing the hill, with a few already at the top under cover.
*The chopper totaled the number of defenders and was told to “Light 'em up.” Every warm body was visible in the infrared, including a donkey grazing on the hillside. Somebody radioed, “Don’t hit the donkey!” The chopper replied, “Roger that.” and then carefully killed each of the defenders, hitting them with machine gun fire, cannon fire and, as they were running out of ammo, some Hellfire missiles. The chopper verified that they were all dead. My friend’s cousin said something to the effect aren’t our troops great?
*I said, “What I see is a village of widows and orphans, their husbands and fathers killed by the chopper before they even saw the invaders that were threatening their village.”
*The chopper quit sending after verifying they were all dead, so we didn’t see what transpired after the NATO forces crested the hill and came down on the village.
*That film left me sick to my stomach.
;-})

3 Likes

Thus proving your humanity remains intact, and your sanity as well.

1 Like

Thanks Nighthawk. Watching Chelsea’s film didn’t do me much good, either.
*Then, as a nuclear veteran, watching what these idiots are playing with as they long for a nuclear war, any nuclear war, where they can push the button and cheer doesn’t do much for my equanimity either.
*I think we’re out of luck, but I feel so sad for the rest of the planet. I’m also sad that most of the art, music, thought, libraries, buildings and cathedrals will be destroyed and most of our alleged culture will be gone, regardless.
;-})

2 Likes

I had a similar experience, Minitrue. I was asked to speak at a Rotary Club about the children’s program I run. Before I spoke one of the members said he had a video to share of his son in the military. The son worked in the drone center in Las Vegas. The camera zoomed in on his screen and then he pushed a button blowing up a truck full of people right in front of our eyes. I was so sickened I had to leave the room but no one else responded in any way.

1 Like

Hi Turtle_Islander,
*I’ve had similar experiences. The PTB, especially the military PTB are pretty clever. They’ve desensitized especially the youth with computer games that glorify war and killing, that instill hatred or contempt for other peoples, nations and races. A lot of the commercials that break in on the net are games where you have a sub or a bomber, and you rack up points by torpedoing ships or bombing targets. Nuke a city and get a thousand points! Wow!
*I’ve often thought, and written, on the subject. These kids have killed thousands of “enemies” on the screen. Really neat! Then, with jobs scarce, they go into one of the services. They find out at first hand what it is like, to lose a comrade from a shot, a mortar, a booby trap. They learn the expression in a man’s or woman’s eyes as he pulls the trigger on them. They learn the stench of death and blood, feces and urine. They hear the screams and groans of wounded and dying. Many of them are missing body parts themselves when they finally get rotated home or discharged. They are not the same person that left on that “adventure.” That accounts for a lot of the suicides, the homicides, the broken homes. Many are the broken people who cannot find their way back.
*Every administration we go through, for decades, just steepens the slope into the abyss, filled with money and bodies and blood.
*I don’t know if we can turn it around, but we have to keep trying, for that conditioning seems to have the idea of a nuclear war as something to strive for. It isn’t!
*Wake up America! Wake up, world!

1 Like