Home | About | Donate

Julian Assange's Life Is at Risk, Says United Nations Expert, Condemning Detention After Exposing War Crimes

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/11/01/julian-assanges-life-risk-says-united-nations-expert-condemning-detention-after

5 Likes

Read this and despair:

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-annihilation-of-julian-assange/

11 Likes

The very real threat is to his life and by extension a threat to all publishers and reporters of contrary news against the State, any State, anywhere. The reach of this long arm of a criminal acting as a law is astounding as well as amazing. It is deadly absurd.

10 Likes

Yes. Thanks for the link from Truthdig. What a travesty!.

3 Likes

Does anyone have an answer to the question asked: “what is so important to the USA for the February date for extradition”?

2 Likes

The State has made their message loud and clear: DO NOT EXPOSE OUR WAR CRIMES!

6 Likes

"The United Nations special rapporteur on torture reiterated Friday a warning that Julian Assange’s life is at risk and said the WikiLeaks founder must not be extradited to the United States as a consequence of “exposing serious governmental misconduct.”

So what is the UN going to do about it???

6 Likes

It sounded to me like they were just trying to speed things up so the evidence in the ongoing Spanish court case would not be available for use in Assange’s defense. Or maybe they think they can get him before the election and Trump will campaign on how powerful he is that he got Assange? I can’t think of any particular significance to the February date, so maybe somebody calculated it’s the earliest they could get away with.

2 Likes

So just another feather in his maga cap?

1 Like

Maybe. I thought Trump voters had more libertarians who would support Assange (if they ever accessed non-fake news), so I wouldn’t have thought that would be something he’d want to campaign on that bad. Maybe it was Trump’s whim of the day at the moment he made the decision, or maybe the decision was made by the Deep State for their own reasons.

2 Likes

Julian Assange is the ultimate whistleblower, who may pay the ultimate price for his honorable service to the peoples of the world.

And it’s the Corporate parties of the United States of America playing Judge, Jury, and Executioner.

And if I’m right, 95% of everyone we know, will vote to support these Stab-in-the-Back politicians next November.

3 Likes

Caitlin Johnstone has been among Julian Assange’s fiercest defenders. She is also sticking up for Max Blumenthal after his outrageous arrest, and she’s calling out a press freedom group for failing to defend him:

5 Likes

She said she would free him, though. She was the clearest of the candidates, though Sanders did later come back saying he would not use the Espionage Act against whistleblowers. Reading between the lines, that would include publishers.

3 Likes

Tulsi muddies the record by not being open the nature about her military history. Miss Proud-to-have-served is a medic.

2 Likes

Lots of people don’t like whistleblowers. Hillary’s supposedly said, “Can’t we just drone this guy?” on a phone call to someone about Assange. This article reviews a number of her suspected escapades.

2 Likes

Kangaroo court is so typical of England.

1 Like

Many years ago, when there was a draft , I was in the army, with many other people from many other walks of life. Today I am anti war.

Tulsi is the best choice out there.

1 Like

Oh…do thy still exist? Never hear a damned thing about them that isn’t negative or disingenuous or just plain WEAK!

1 Like

If it’s any consolation for Mr Assange or other whistleblowers, these words were uttered by Jesus and recorded in the Gospels: “Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for Justice’ sake, for they shall be satisfied.” (Matthew 5:6)

1 Like

Hi wingsofadove:
This is horrifying and what the USA and the UK are doing is torture. It’s all about winning, with a great degree of lying and fabricating. One wonders where the UK scrapped these people from—as they seem sadly inhuman and a horrifying amount of humans who appear to have no souls. It’s all about the winning, through lying, denial, and I wonder what these horrible people think the prize is here?
What has happened to the humanity of both these nations?
I am sorry but your names have changed for me. USA will be further known as the land of Unbelievable Sadistic Assholes, while the UK the Unethical Kingdom. I wonder what will become of those of you who sold their souls for temporary power. You people should probably stop for a moment and think------if human life is this cheap—what in the world makes you think that the system that murdered Assange—won’t turn you also into fish food?

3 Likes