Home | About | Donate

'Just Count the Votes': Where Voter Suppression Not Quite Enough, GOP Now Trying to Stop Ballot-Counting in Multiple States

'Just Count the Votes': Where Voter Suppression Not Quite Enough, GOP Now Trying to Stop Ballot-Counting in Multiple States

Julia Conley, staff writer

As Republicans in several states attempted to halt the tallying of votes in some of the nation's closest midterm election races, watchdog groups and Democratic lawmakers condemned what they called attacks on the electoral process and democracy itself.

3 Likes

Since the majority of the country favors Democrats it seems clear that the Republicans have adopted a strategy of reducing the number of voters or votes counted. And this also helps them politically with their base since their supporters don’t care about democracy but simply want to live in a country where they are on top and blacks are on the bottom and they elected Trump to carry this out.

5 Likes

It won’t be the first time particularly in FL

3 Likes

And here in Maine, the republican candidate for congress has just stated that he will challenge the ranked choice voting law itself (after the fact of course) if it turns out that the voter’s choice is anyone other than himself.
He is a sore loser and has not even lost yet!
The vote tallies are predicted to be complete by sometime next week.

3 Likes

Any politician that believes all votes in an election should not be counted, must be fired from their position.

No respect for our Democracy and our Constitutional form of government and it’s rules and regulations, is more than enough reasons for losing a job in public service.

5 Likes

Count ALL the votes. That’s a no-brainer. In other words, even the no-brain repubs can understand that.

1 Like

This defines just one example of what has been “business as usual” with every election for decades. America has established a routine. Election years are dedicated to virtually ordering people to vote while stressing the importance of every individual vote. The years in between elections are spent showing how and why our system is illegitimate, and our votes really don’t count… There’s a 100% chance that the party that loses will focus on blaming anyone other than their own candidate/party.

1 Like

Sometimes there’s a big gap between perceptions and reality. There’s no way around the fact that Democrats split apart their own voting base in the 1990s, mainly middle class vs. poor, and the Obama years confirmed that this split is permanent. (In other words, Democrats divided and conquered their own voting base.) We could have learned some things from the 2016 election data. Roughly half of all registered voters (both parties) rejected BOTH Clinton and Trump, for some of the same reasons. They voted third party or withheld their votes. The final outcome was a bit more complicated: In the end, Clinton did get more votes, but Trump got the most electoral votes – and the utterly confused blamed Russia.

1 Like

I just noticed that the districts and counties in Arizona that directly border on Mexico, and would be most effected by da’ silly wall, all went heavily for Democratic candidates. So much for the caravan issue.

4 Likes

“Hanging Chad 2; The Mid-Terms.” The newly release Republican horror show paid for by the people who brought you “Hanging Chad; Bush v. Gore.”

3 Likes

Aye. I’ve been wondering if JustUs O’Kavanaugh, LLC has been maybe working to get the Brooks Brothers Band back together for a return engagement in Florida.

1 Like

Isn’t this kind of strange when the gov of a state calls the election system a fraud----ow and his party controls the legislature??? DON’T BE FOOLED-----THE ELECTION IN FLORIDA AND GEORGIA HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY REPUBLICANS------and the issue isn’t Broward County—there are still seven counties in Florida that have yet to finish counting< but I would bet in Georgia and Florida you want to look at the strong republican areas for OVER COUNTING!

Rick Scott is an expert at FIXING elections.

3 Likes

Vote in Texas with Beto O’Rourke was also very close –

DWS “won” her last election over Tim Canova by destroying ballots. To avoid an accurate recount they just destroyed the ballots, no recount. It worked to perfection. They might do it again this time too.

Brooks Brothers = brown shirt bullies

I think the caravan propaganda was more for those older, non-border state white voters in places like Missouri who don’t know much about the Southwest. Sadly, it seems to have worked in a few states.

1 Like

I think there is something to that, and you can’t fix stupid.

I have voted since 1966, in Canada. Parents’ advice got taken at the age of 23. I have yet to hear claims of fraud with regard to an election whether rural municipal, city, provincial or national. I have to state my utter consternation at that Florida fellow who is running for re-election and remains as the chief electoral officer at the same time. Kind of an insecure chap?
Maybe a few sessions with a dale Carnegie public speaking group is what he needs. Maybe his supporters, who would be highly likely to support the need for umpires in baseball or referees in hockey might just want to think about how this analogy could apply to democracy. if America is a cradle of democracy it seems only right.
I have travelled in usa since 1960s and have had so many good experiences I can’t count them and this behavior I see now has caused our families to rediscover Tourism in Canada.
Yes, I’m currently a critic of events south of 49th, but hope dearly for a positive future for you, our closest neighbor. Dave in Saskatchewan ( a free Tim’s coffee for all who pronounce it right)

I hope the good will of Canadians continues. We need your example of good governance, regardless of election outcomes.
I also never miss a chance to apologize to Canadians for America’s atrocious behavior and boorish manners after 9/11. I spent time in 2002 exploring your beautiful nation and the people were very cordial. However, they pointed out how the Police & Security State were not. The unnecessary harassment and suspicious nature of their border policy was not helpful, it was downright insulting to many good, caring and considerate Canadians.
Sorry about the past incivility. We’ve got some big issues to work on down here in the lower 48.

Maybe your talking about Kemp in Georgia ??? This so called county official your talking about from what I understand was appointed by Gov. Bush.

And just understand my friend this all goes back to 2000-----when the republican controlled Supreme Court refused to count all the votes in Florida----and this in part because of bullying tactics by republicans-so it worked then—just keep doing it.

9/11 happened because of 2000. The Iraq and Afghan war happened because of 2000. The housing meltdown in 2007 happened because of 2000. The massive debt the US now has is BECAUSE OF 2000.

WE ALL KNOW WHAT REPUBLICANS HAVE BEEN DOING IN FLORIDA AND GEORGIA.