Home | About | Donate

'Just More Hot Air'? Utility Co. says Methane-Spewing Porter Ranch Well Plugged

'Just More Hot Air'? Utility Co. says Methane-Spewing Porter Ranch Well Plugged

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Southern California Gas Co. announced Thursday that it had "temporarily controlled" the massive Porter Ranch gas leak, but the mood for many is nowhere near celebratory.

Dear Porter Ranch people
It doesn't matter what you think as long as we are making a profit and not held accountable for any disaster created through our reckless use of the resources we extract.
Sincerely
The Fossil Fuel Industry

The scuttlebutt is that the gas company was running their underground storage facility right at the limit. Their facility was an old gas field that also has a lot of other wells drilled into it. The company may have fixed their big leak, but if they put kilotons of fracked natural gas back down into the field, there's no guarantee that the other pre-damaged, closed wells aren't now also on the edge of popping. This big old balloon has had it.

Hey now! I would recommend reading "Vulture's Picnic" by Greg Palast. A very telling tale about the energy industry. I worked for Stone and Webster on the North Anna Nuclear Power Station outside Mineral, VA for about three months in 1976. What I witnessed scared the crap out of me and I walked away from a very well paying job, choosing not to participate for any amount of money. This is the same plant that, a few years back, faced major disaster when an undiscovered fault line decided to become active. So much for the smartest guys in the room actually being the smartest guys in the room. I believe we all really need to slow down and really try to understand and comprehend our actions before we implement those actions, because once the horse is out of the barn, it can be very difficult to get it back. In my opinion, there are no such things as "experts". We are all really just beginners. [Borrowed from Michael Franti and Spearhead]. Peace and blessings to all, Tom Evans

And of course there are no other wells like this one.
It must be an anomaly...Right?.