Home | About | Donate

'Just Reciting White Nationalist Talking Points': Trump Immigration Chief Says Statue of Liberty Poem Only About Europeans

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/14/just-reciting-white-nationalist-talking-points-trump-immigration-chief-says-statue

I’m sick of polite…it isn’t “dismay”…it’s bullshit.

8 Likes

This Trumper’s interview should be used by DNC and Democratic presidential candidates to educate all non-Europeans that Trump’s administration is publicly racist.
It’s also anti-Semitic. We must remember that when Hitler started killing Jews, the USA initially turned away refugee boats filled with Jews. The exact same rhetoric was used then as now, about who is welcome and who isn’t.
My neighbors across the street are second generation immigrants from Ecuador. They’re better people than the white trash who vote for Trump.
The good news is that Trump and his gang are publicly stating things that can be weaponized against them.
And one other thing–the movie Gangs of New York just how welcome European immigrants were.

5 Likes

The statue has been in place since 1903, so what people are just now noticing what it means. Can the original intent still be valid to reflect new consideration and still be humane. Immigration has been idealized in the U.S. and it is more than past time we took another look at it. The poem was part of a contest to raise money for building the base.

If this is up for negotiation, I suggest including an environmental responsibility section to the application process.

1 Like

Here is the entire Poem:

The New Colossus

By Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she

With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

And by this standard, the homeless still have the right to be homeless and go unnoticed as well.

8 Likes

Cuccinelli isn’t looking quite “white” enough -

And, how about drug tests for the White House occupant and staff?

4 Likes

“Europeans were welcome because they came from class based societies” is more GOP deception when you consider that the largest wave of European migration occurred during the gilded age when the US was as much of a class-based society as it has ever been, albeit less formal than the titled royalty of Europe.

Viewed on a global scale gilded age robber barons’ influence was limited mostly to the US, whereas today’s robber barons influence extends to every corner of the earth.

Except for the half century following FDR’s New Deal the US has always been a class based society and is becoming more of one with each passing day as Cuccinelli’s 1% paymasters expand their wealth as the 99% loses theirs.

6 Likes

Next up: The Bill of Rights of the Constitution only applies to White Men.

Note: I just had a person argue with me that the Declaration of Independence’s statement that “All men are created equal” was referring,exclusively, to white European men.

7 Likes

fern –

GOP is famous – or notorious – for reforming programs by turning them into
the very opposite of the original intent – i.e., destroying them.
Democrats have also certainly helped and colluded with them in doing that.

The Statue of Liberty represents an ideal which we embrace and try to live up to –

but no one is really looking behind the immigration problem existing right now which
is based in the violence of the US and its wars and policies - all of which are cruel
and inhumane. That’s what we need to be looking at – and we’ve had over 50 years
of US/CIA creating problems all over the world.

800 Military bases around the world – and who has the power to challenge the US/CIA?
Pretty much no one, including the United Nations which was created with the idea of
stopping any nation engaged in “aggression” towards another nation.

Certainly the idea of the United Nations was to prevent another WWII being triggered –
and it looks more like there’s been a war on the United Nations itself to disable it by the
US/CIA.

This is a little difficult to get as to what you’re actually suggesting …

If this is up for negotiation, I suggest including an environmental responsibility section to the application process.

Can you elaborate a bit on your thoughts?

4 Likes

Ok, I will give this a try. True, we have some bad history of wars and implicit violence, all true. And now facing some of the consequences of those actions, from dealing with the symptoms without real change in behavior or policy. So how best to change that outcome. Probably not through immigration but it is a focal point. Examine social changes by revolution historically. Pros and Cons.

There is power in immigration but it has grown and should reflect the issues at hand. It does little good to give someone a home by taking it from another as a solution.

Calling a change in social benefits into question has some potential. No, not using the paradigm in this article. The environmental issue should be obvious and it should be included in all the decisions we make. I still have some work to do on this issue, I hope you get the idea.

1 Like

I think you are right about that and most of those European societies were in decline and facing social justice issues reflected by violence.

Serial wars throughout Europe during that era also drove a lot of immigration to the US. In addition to World War I there were many more local wars that have been ignored in the history books.

3 Likes

The “Cooch” might want brush up on history. First lesson: Italians were lynched, bombed, and deported.

6 Likes

After the Irish completed the east half of the transcontinental railroad and Chinese completed the west half in 1869, recall NINA ? No Irish Need Apply
Signs on buildings across Murka reminding Irish not to bother applying for jobs offered on the premesis.

The Chinese were persecuted (or massacred) up and down the west coast for the subsequent half century.

8 Likes

The same is true of the Central American societies from which the current immigrants at the US southern border come. And, unlike the European societies you mention, the social justice issues and violence are, for the most part, a direct result of US policies in those countries. A great read that highlights this phenomenon-- in the most recent US-backed coup and its aftermath-- is Dana Frank’s “The Long Honduran Night”.

5 Likes

Kenny, you can quit sucking up to the klan. They don’t want people with papist sounding names.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reference, I’m writing that down. It is an interesting point you make about this being a continuum, first by colonialism and then by other means including economic.

In Los Angeles there are 2.5 million undocumented immigrants (probably more and not all from Latin America) during the same time the homeless population increased by 10,000. I’m not assigning blame but I think there has to be a better way. Other variable apply too.

“GLOWS WORLD WIDE WELCOME”

Cooch, you lie.
My home town has 68 heritages. Competitive, hard working, smart, integrated schools from day one, 140 years ago.
I grew up in the mafia neighborhood. Not one of the guys followed that path. Business, medicine, mailman as examples.
Walking home from school, we wrestled the polish, hungarians, italians,etc.
After quick snack, we put on our pads and went to football practice.
Aw, you already guessed !
All these guys are on the same team.

fern –

"True, we have some bad history of wars and implicit violence"

Rather, it looks to me like the “White Male Supremacy” that soaked the soil of
Europe in blood with Crusades and Inquisitions was brought here – and basically
that for more than 300 plus years it has used its violence against those they consider
“others” just as they did in those old dark days.

And there are still existing systems here which empower “White Male Supremacy” –
Patriarchy which was put in play by our own Founders, for one.
And this is true all over the world, especially where organized patriarchal religions have
ruled or still rule.

But systems of “Patriarchy” aren’t original to Our Founders – they merely carried forth
the systems they favored and which were taught by "Christianity.

So we come to the question of “whether man created god, or whether god created man.”

Since “Christianity” underpins “White Male Supremacy” it seems clear that the “Wizard”
behind the curtain is the White Male Supremacist who wrote the play in their own interests,
but still they required an untouchable and unaccountable “god” to proclaim their worthiness.

Inspired, they also used “Christianity” to issue a LICENSE for themselves to permit them
to exploit all of Nature, all Animal Life, all Natural Resources – and even other HUMAN
BEINGS according to various myths of 'inferiority."

Until all of the systems which support “White Male Supremacy” - Elitism - are overturned
they will continue to create conditions which favor themselves – and oppress others.

Just a PS on this –
War in Spain remained a mystery to me until I read the report below by George Seldes.
The “mystery” was well hidden because our newspapers little reported (to my knowledge)
the underlying cause of the war as the masses rising up against the Catholic Church in
Spain for their support of Elites/wealthy in all issues.

Spain – after 75 years of unrest by the peasants burning churches and making clear their
disdain for the RCC and its support for the upper classes – responded by declaring itself
a Republic – a democracy with the protections of Separation of Church & State –
and Spain immediately stopped funding the Catholic Church there.
Only a fascist war would work to shut down the uprising of the masses against the RCC.

For anyone who hasn’t seen this before . . .

George Seldes
The Vatican Propaganda Machine: The Spanish “Civil War” Lesson

From George Seldes, the “dean and granddaddy of investigative reporters,” when it comes to issues important to the hierarchy of the Catholic Church, “… there is no free press in America.” Seldes’s extensive study of the Spanish Civil War and the related control of the American press by the Catholic hierarchy is exceedingly instructive for all who are concerned about this freedom.

In 1931, Spain became the Republic of Spain, a liberal democracy that separated church and state, ended State monetary support for the church and adopted the principles of Freedom of Conscience, Freedom of Religion, and Freedom of the Press. The Vatican feared for the Church’s very survival in Spain. There had been four insurrections since 1835, and it was the Spanish people, the poor workers and poor peasants, who burned the churches because they blamed the hierarchy for having persistently backed the upper class. The latest uprising against the Catholic Church took place throughout the country in July, 1936. One historian described it as “the work of masses of common people, a spontaneous uprising.” The Vatican feared that the liberal democracy with its freedoms would spell the end of the Church in Spain.
http://churchandstate.org.uk/2012/10/the-vatican-propaganda-machine-the-spanish-civil-war-lesson/

AND …

American Civil War – Assassination of Lincoln

The Vatican HATED the U.S. before the fall of the Papal States!!

Before the fall of the Papal States in 1870, the Vatican HATED the United States and its Constitution. The U.S. was a haven for many of the refugees who fled Europe after the Revolution of 1848. Garibaldi and Gazazzi were welcomed as HEROES by the Protestant U.S. Many in the U.S. supported the liberation of Italy and contributed to its success with soldiers and money.

The Vatican NEVER forgave the U.S. for that support to the liberators.

Thank God we didn’t have the 20th Amendment when Lincoln won the election. He needed a lot of time to select patriotic and qualified men to help him save the Union. If the 25th Amendment was in force then there would be no United States today!!
http://www.reformation.org/lincoln.html

Though the Vatican’s armies disappeared, as Geroge Seldes makes clear at that time
control and influence by the Catholic Church over our governments and societies and our
free press still existed at the time of the War in Spain and WWII –

and I think that “SPOTLIGHT” made clear that it still exists in present day America.

We may take solace in an unarmed Vatican, but we should understand that our CIA is
referred to inside the CIA and outside the CIA as “Catholics In Control.”

The CIA replaced the OSS - both of which served and continue to serve the interests
of Elites. The intelligence services of all nations are linked in that interest.

3 Likes

Ok, this is going to take some time and consideration. I will get back to this.