Home | About | Donate

Just Two Days After Man Sentenced to 10 Years for Violent Hate Crimes, Collins Says Maine Doesn't Have Issue With Systemic Racism

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/29/just-two-days-after-man-sentenced-10-years-violent-hate-crimes-collins-says-maine

1 Like

Sorry Susie, but you are toast. Not the one we really wanted, but welcome Sarah to the Senate.

4 Likes

“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

8 Likes

And where does Collins come from in Maine? The answer is Caribou where she was born and Caribou is way up north in the place they call Aroostook, a whole different part of Maine. So, yes, there are not many real instances of racism up there or in much of the rest of Maine, which is quite a rural state, because there are very few people to be racist about. Once again Collins, one of Trump’s most shameless brown-nosers for Trump has the limited perspectives of what passes for thought in the minds of so many, many Republicans.
As a fan of Maine after making several trips there I can only hope the people will get rid of Collins and replace her with someone who actually lives in the 21st century. Sure, Collins finally did something right and voted against the despicable Coney Barrett but it was too little and too late and I can’t help but believe that there was a certain amount of posturing in that vote to help swing some people back to voting for her. So long, Susie. Perhaps you could be a different kind of politician in Maine. How about running for Mayor of Caribou?

5 Likes

How about just getting out and retiring.She’s already “stolen” enough.

4 Likes

The Bangor Daily News saw fit to print that Diggins was convicted by an all-white jury.

Gotta make sure those “darkies” know who to thank for the “justice” they were so generously given…

But, no, there’s zero systemic racism here! 🤦

1 Like

I suspect the motive was to cut the ground out from under the idiots so that they couldn’t blame the conviction and sentencing on Black jurors.

1 Like

Well said Bruce and that is true about northern Maine, and Maine in general. I grew up in central Maine and never saw a black person until I was about 14 y.o. Back then, Maine was as white as they come and to this day is still the whitest state in the US by some accounts. Given the paucity of minorities in Maine, it is easy to believe that systemic racism is rare, but as an Asian American growing up post WWII, Korean War, and during the Vietnam War, I can attest to us having our share of racist people. Racist jokes about blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, and especially French people (there’s a large number of French Canadians in Maine) were commonplace. Mainers are some of the kindest, most down-to-earth people you will meet, but racism exists and where racism exists, systemic racism exists.

3 Likes

Hope you are right – so many of these races have tightened up as more
GOP money has been thrown into these races –

Trying my best to support Sara Gideon –

1 Like

Why is she there again? I mean beyond the desire to line her pockets.

These people have the moral fiber of cheese cloth.

1 Like

Feeling gracious today I see.

2 Likes

He was talking about religion, obviously.

Prior to Martin: “Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit” There is nothing more frightful than active ignorance.

Also: “Gegen Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens”. Against stupidity even the gods themselves fight in vain.