Home | About | Donate

Justice Democrats, Sunrise Movement Applaud Latest Economic Council Picks by Biden as 'Major Win'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/21/justice-democrats-sunrise-movement-applaud-latest-economic-council-picks-biden-major

2 Likes

WE JUST NEED TO KEEP PUSHING THE OLD MAN. maybe he will step down and let Kamala carry on.

2 Likes

Wow, Biden just remembered the working class he must have put his Scranton hat on; keep it up, there is hope yet. One good thing is they are advisors not cabinet members; the Senate Repugs. can’t nix their appointments.

5 Likes

i don’t know of Bharat Ramamurti, and I see he gets lots of praise, but one of his accomplishments listed was his appointment to the Congressional Oversite Commission for the CARES Act. That’s not a good thing IMO, they allowed corporations to run out the door with the majority of the funds set aside for small businesses. Where was the oversite?

5 Likes

25.7% of U.S. population live with incomes below 150% of the OPM, Official Poverty Measure, poverty. That’s the number from the latest, 2020, Supplemental Poverty Measure, SPM. That’s 85 million. That’s about poverty. An author of the SPM, Kathleen Short, wrote in 2013 that 140% of the OPM poverty level meant that people were “unable to achieve a safe and decent standard of living.” That’s from a 30 year veteran of the U.S. Census who wrote the SPM. Meaning, nearly 25% live in poverty, according to the author of the SPM.
Let me mention savings, also.
The average household savings is $926,000, believe it or not. (Look at Fed Reserve’s Flow of Funds, page 2, and divide by total households, 128 million) But the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in 2017 released a report saying that 24% owned less than $250 in “liquid assets”, and 54% lived with less than $5,000 in “liquid assets.” The report is “Household Financial Well-Being” in 2017, page 80. See for yourself.
These articles are good, and we must continue to pour this information into the public’s ears. The Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis, Table 2.1, Personal Income says that the “disposable income” (meaning after paying federal taxes income) per capita (meaning, per human) was over $55,000 in 2020. You can look it up. A family of four therefore, on average, has an income (average income) of $220,000. And the OPM level is below $26,000. Imagine! My blog is Economics Without Greed, Part Two. Check it out.

2 Likes

Fuck the Sunrise Movement and Justice Democrats. They are co-opted and anyone who doesn’t see that yet are beyond hope to wake from their delusion.

3 Likes

Who the hell wants Kopmala carrying on?

2 Likes

Everyone (except Republicans) has to compromise to ACHIEVE advancement. Ideals and perfection are serving suggestions - but rarely look like the real deal. Even FDR compromised to advance our social safety nets.

Being angry at and attacking the Left is what establishment pols and rightwingers do. Don’t allow perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Advisors don’t have a public voice for us to hear. And Biden doesn’t have to listen to them.

Agree. And working for Warren is a dubious thing to brag about.

2 Likes

Amen.

They cheer ecstatically over crumbs that are nothing but optics and empty platitudes.

2 Likes

This is an article to make Biden seem like he cares about progressive issues.

To be honest, I prefer Trump to Biden.

I voted for Howie Hawkins btw. The only good presidential candidate.

2 Likes

The left wing of neoliberalism. “Nothing will change.”

1 Like

Doesn’t that tell you just a little of why the Republicans are winning? Did Mitch compromise on the relief bill? Did Nancy’s compromise achieve the spectacular?

True. Perhaps a demand by progressives is opening things up a bit and make public some key points that these advisors are working on and be willing to comment on public input. This line from the article grabbed me:

Biden’s choice of Ramamurti to play a key role in protecting working Americans from fraud and corporate malfeasance “shows a clear intent to be very aggressive in this arena,” said Adam Jentleson of Democracy Forward, […]

I suggest to reduce fraud, we need much bolder action on how companies can contact people. Our federal no call list is a joke (I re-enroll all the time and still get plenty of junk calls) and the idea that spammers can get phone numbers close to your own is embarrassing. I want an overhaul of the entire operation and I want to be able to set up my parents life so that they never get any Medicare Advantage people calling them or sending them anything in the mail. People must opt in from a commercial they saw on TV or the internet to get any correspondence and opt out requests after they are no long interested in the topic must be immediately handled correctly or companies need to be shut down.

This guy seems to be about as good as anyone Biden would take any advice from so I applaud the appointment. I am much more disappointed by Governor Newsom appointing Padilla to take Kamala Harris’ Senate seat. Having someone even less progressive than Harris in the seat is the worse news of the day.

1 Like

Ouch. We should have had a special election. This move, his previous veto of RCV, and his moronic restaurant visit give me plenty of reasons to never vote for this guy again.

1 Like

With Capitalists-to-their-bones like these in charge of the Progressive push of the Biden economic agenda the GOP should be as excited about the next four years as the DNC is, but progressives (I guess) are just supposed to be “grateful” that Biden didn’t just follow his inclination to make actual conservidiot republitards in charge of his economic transition team, …not that there’s a hill of beans difference between the reichwing killers and their right of center DINO corporatist crapulencies in charge of what used to be the Democratic party of the people.

1 Like

That Biden is taking on people who are welcomed by the progressives is a very reassuring action. I will be pleased to see a real balance in the appointees that he chooses for input. Now all he has to do is listen. Something his predecessor seemed to consider an example of weakness.

Neoliberalism is a farce, created by conservatives and introduced by Ronald Reagan as trickle-down economics. When combined with the idiocy of the Right to Buy Congress Supreme Court decision our minimum wage was stalled and is less than half of a useful income. We now have lost our ability to choose our candidates. The Parties choose who will run and primaries seem to be ignored. I’m hoping that Biden has learned a lesson that Obama seemed determined to ignore. Republicans never work to a fair compromise. They except an attempt at compromise then rewrite part of the bill with what they gave up somewhere else. This lack of balance has become toxic.