Home | About | Donate

Justice Denied, Delayed, or Done Right? Serious Concerns as Prosecutors Throw Out Charges in Flint Water Crisis Cases

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/13/justice-denied-delayed-or-done-right-serious-concerns-prosecutors-throw-out-charges

2 Likes

Somehow this makes me think of a Bob Dylan line. “Everybody has to serve somebody, everyone has to serve someone.” (likely paraphrased)

1 Like

Was there ever any doubt? Why wait for the law when there is no law?

3 Likes

Since there is no law, Flint residents would be wise to collectively take matters in their own hands.

Seems the only way justice is ever rendered rightly so.

3 Likes

This is what happens when people do nothing and wait for corrupt Politicians to decide the fate of the people. The People never win. This goes far beyond Flint. If we don’t start going after the Culprits, who are the source of the problem immediately, it will always be to late. Peaceful anything with these disasters will amount to failures. So they walk away as free murderers? No! Find out who the individuals are, track them down, deal with them when they least expect it. Our country IS Flint… and we have nothing more to lose as it will happen again in your town.

4 Likes

It is a case of Colonial Genocide policies being used in the 21st century

1 Like

apparently the scuttlebutt I’ve heard is that the previous charges would likely have resulted in not guilty verdicts in courts had they proceeded because of the quality of the investigation.

I don’t know if that’s true or not, but if it is, then this is the right decision.

We can’t forget that there are all sorts of ways to protect the powerful, and one of those is to set up investigations in a way that assures the accused walk.

4 Likes

It strikes me as naive to expect any justice in America to come from its captured courts, corrupt politicians or the militarized death squads currently masquerading as police.

1 Like

On her program tonight, Rachel Maddow said that apparently a device of Gov. Snyder’s had been found, thus lending credence that the new prosecution will be better, not worse, than the rejected one. it’s been over fifty years since I was born and raised in Flint, but I’m really pulling for Justice in this Republican-led mess.

1 Like

It took 5 years for someone to figure-out the original “investigation” was a white-wash and the “prosecution” perhaps intentionally flawed/sabotaged to assure a not guilty result wanted by the corrupt politicians, police, prosecutors and all others involved? Not the first time officials have manipulated justice to assure there would be none!

IF this new prosecution is actually a response to the “fixing” of the investigation, prosecution, evidence gathering and tampering, that is one thing - if a different delay and cover-up, quite another; I can only hope the current investigation will sort-out the intentional “flaws” and ALL those responsible for poisoning people will pay the highest price. Justice? 5 years delayed and perhaps intentionally sabotaged with other crimes committed, demands that those responsible for that crime are also held to account and pay the highest price for their collusion and complicity with the original! Both the original crime and the cover-up/sabotage, and all the players must be prosecuted and facts revealed!

5 years delayed? BS! “The law” is not to protect the people, but those that prey on them! The poor pay and the rich evade!

3 Likes

"The people come to understand that wealth is not the fruit of labour but the result of organised, protected robbery. Rich people are no longer respectable people; they are nothing more than flesh eating animals, jackals and vultures which wallow in the people’s blood.

Frantz Fanon, [The Wretched of the Earth]

4 Likes

Methinks the lady (Hammoud) and her ironically named sidekick (Worthy) do protest too much. It is apparently true that the original investigation was flawed, but it is equally apparent that the flaw was not that it incorrectly identified the guilty parties, but that it failed to uncover all of the evidence against them, likely for lack of resources. Alternatively, depending upon one’s perspective, the flaw was that it DID correctly identify the guilty parties.

This will certainly occur at some point unless we can somehow reverse the course of our entire society and soon, but I am not convinced that it is wise.

Guitman:
“This is what happens when people do nothing and wait for corrupt Politicians to decide the fate of the people.”

Such efforts seldom end well. The problem exists because the power relations are so skewed in favor of thieves and vandals. “The people” can only prevail before the power relations reach that point, or through novel and highly creative non-violent tactics.

1 Like

How can there be any Justice when every person who is supposed to uphold laws is corrupt? Who are we to trust? Who is ever on our side? No one… So I assume hopelessness over rides Action.