Home | About | Donate

Justice for Omar Khadr: Child Detainee to Receive Apology, at Least $10 Million From Canada

Justice for Omar Khadr: Child Detainee to Receive Apology, at Least $10 Million From Canada

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Toronto-born Omar Khadr—who was captured by the U.S. military in 2002 when he was just a teenager and held at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp in Cuba—will receive an apology and reportedly $10.5 million ($8 million USD) from the Canadian government for failing to protect him from abuse while he was detained for more than a decade.

Omar Khadr can never receive justice for all that was taken from him and his family and done to him and his family; but at least this is something. As a citizen of the United States, I offer him and the millions of others who are traumatized by U.S.-led neoliberal imperial "wars" (slaughters), torture, ecological degradation and imprisonment my sincere apology which I will act upon in the streets as I am able.

An excellent example of what happens when you don't follow the rule of law in the first place. Laws, regulations and conventions are built on decades of experience and wisdom. Of course after 9/11, we threw all of that into the sewer and pretended the state could operate lawlessly. Let us all hope that our political class has learned it's lesson. One can't help but see the irony in Omar Khadr being the vehicle that teaches us that lesson again.

Thank you for this article. Hourray for Omar finally after so much abuse! The Canadian media is still being directed to play Omar Khadr as a terrorist rather than for his rightful concern over western destabilization of the Middle-east. As a Canadian, I'm so ashamed of Canada's seamless involvement as arms-supplier in western oligarch directed & US delivered state-terrorism. Western financed-foreign-mercenary-led murder has been unleashed on a unparalleled world scale with: a million western war-death-killed in Afghanistan, a million dead in Iraq, 500,000 dead in Libya, 500,000 dead in Syria & many more elsewhere over just a couple of decades. Benjamin Netanyahu advocated western invasion of all these mostly secular nations over decades previous in support of greater Israel's Oded-Yinon-Plan & its US daughters NWO & PNAC.

General Westley Clarke describing when he was informed of the US role in OYP. http://www.globalresearch.ca/we-re-going-to-take-out-7-countries-in-5-years-iraq-syria-lebanon-libya-somalia-sudan-iran/5166
Israeli Colonel Leading ISIL Terrorists Captured in Iraq, http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13940730000210 Yusi Oulen Shahak, ranked colonel in Golani Brigade of the Zionist regime's army

IGNORANT AGGRESSION BASED IN DELIBERATE MISINFORMATION. Whenever there's conflict both at home & worldwide, we've two main choices to: 1) believe the finance-media-education-military-industrial-legislative-complex, demonize the other, armour ourselves against our perceived enemies, launch pre-emptive war & create hell, 2) engage the other in formal equal-time recorded & published dialogues. Mohandas Gandhi developed 'Satyagraha' (Hindi 'truth-search') based upon simultaneous inquiry with both parties in dispute or re-search asking "What are your best intentions & how can we help you fulfill these?". Gandhi, "I can imagine a fully armed man to be at heart a coward. Possession of arms implies an element of fear, if not cowardice. But true non-violence is an impossibility without the possession of unadulterated fearlessness." We need transparency in all levels of human interaction including military, government, education, business listening to both sides.
DIALECTIC RIGHTS We need to openly engage our own & other societies in dialectic solutions at home, school, media, business for all stakeholders. As Socrates proposed, dialectics (both-sided inquiry) should be the foundation of social & economic literacy. The west plays 'Right-to-Protect' game for 100s of colonial years keeping citizens in the dark staging many 100s of False Flag events, colonial invasions & genocide. NO-WAR until we hear Both-Sides present in Equal-Time, Recorded & Published Debate. Most issues & events in our colonially manipulated & consumptive world are not as they appear. https://sites.google.com/site/indigenecommunity/structure/both-sides-now-equal-time-recorded-dialogues

The rule of law is what separated democracies from tyrannies. The US did not and is not following it. Khadr was a child soldier under the law and should have been treated as such. A child who is delivered by his father, into a dangerous and violent environment at the age of 12 is not responsible because of lack of maturity, for what happens afterwards. The US is not a true democracy, nor is it a shining light. It is in fact a dangerous rogue nation of violent, dysfunctional leaders and pathetic followers.willing to commit every crime in the book because they are told to. Its judicial system is corrupt from top to bottom and its citizens lack of interest in changing that situation shows the rest of the World not to trust it. I would sincerely suggest that no extradition requests from the US be honoured in the future because no one will ever get a fair trial there, never!

Yeah, the Khadr family turned out the be bad investment for the Canadian taxpayer.

So the Americans and Canadians abused and tortured Oma Khadr, but the Antisemite Douglas Jack uses this to launch into an attack on Israel that replicates the classic Antisemitic themes of Jewish power and evil.

Greetings Salzburg Stan, When you draw out the 'Anti-Semite theme' trope, are you of course, also referring to Arabs & Aramaic peoples, essentially all Semites including Jews who fled their economic & ecological disaster in Babylon / Mesopotamia 7000 years ago & then went on as Christians, Muslims & Jews to impose disaster colonially everywhere in the world? Poor Omar Kadhr probably had no clue as to the worldwide Finance-Media-Education-Military-Industrial-Legislative-Complex he was stepping into.
Personally my family is a mixture of Jew, WASP, Catholic & 1st Nation. I grew up among Jewish cousins who were part of Israel's recent invasion of Palestine & at the time, only being exposed to their version of the story, I took Arab genocide for granted. Do you still take genocide for granted? At the time as a recently invading minority convened by Britain's colonial control, my cousins, friends & play-mates, were getting ready to take complete control of a land in which only decades previously they were strangers. Hopefully wise humans move beyond xenophobia & learn to consider issues & engage each-other from all sides rather than perpetual & dominating paranoid aggression & war. You'd think with many 100s of millions killed in genocide through colonialism's funding & execution that we would have all learned a lesson? Are you asking for a formal equal-time, recorded & published debate on this issue? My answer is unreservedly YES! Let's set up the details. I put forth a proposed procedure in the web-link 'Both-Sides-Now'. Or then again, do you just want to play the perpetual victim role in your cold violent aggression?

https://sites.google.com/site/indigenecommunity/structure/both-sides-now-equal-time-recorded-dialogues

It is only when other nations take charge of their own foreign policies instead of supporting US policies that they will regain their own sense of morality and their citizens will not have to be ashamed. And when the US must go things alone and finds that it cannot, maybe then I will not need to be ashamed of my country.

You know damn well that Antisemitism is and always has been about Jews, not
Arabs or other Semitic language speakers, so this red herring just shows
dishonesty on your part.

Stan Nadel
Amazon delenda est

Marthaorne, I agree with you, but what colonial Oligarchs have done over 1000s of years is to manipulate world events & appearances invisibly behind the scenes, hire mercenaries including 100s of politicians to do their many 1000s of 'false-flag' bidding for them. What you refer to as "US policies" probably have next to nothing to do with what most Americans want or vote for. US computerized elections are completely unverifiable as to the true will of the voters. I've lived & worked in the US over years. A foreign power controls the US, Canada, NATO Europe & most of the world as well as Finance-Media-Education-Military-Industrial-Legislative-Complex. Its time we get to the root of the issue, which happens to include resolving our own collusion in violent colonial history today. www.indigenecommunity.info

Who Controls America? List Summaries Internet, Media, Banking, Government, Globalism, Society, 2017 http://thezog.info/list-summaries/

Dear SalzburgStan, Antisemitism is most active among my Jewish family & cousins. They just happen to have the most money & media control to pretend to be victims for ever, even as they continue to commit unparalleled genocide. Indigenous 'Council-Process' 'Debate' (French 'de' = 'undo' + 'bate' = 'the-fight') as all our ancestors practiced is the best option for humanity to end perpetual war, violence & victimhood.

Meanwhile, a certain Toronto liberal chattering-class columnist for the Star cannot seem to tell the difference between someone fighting imperialist invader military forces on their soil and a lunatic terrorist attacking innocent civilians in his own country...

The real reason for 911 was the govt wanting to amp up fascist policies. The PNAC plan in 1997 to have an "event" that would trigger a crackdown on freedoms in the U.S. as well as the "right' to pre-emptively invade the world. It has worked well for the zionists. Iraq,Syria are in disarray, Libya in chaos, and Egypt's puppet regime firmly in check. Iran is in the cross hairs. Well done Bibi, well done AIPAC.

Douglas F. Jack, I am far less informed than you but have concluded by deduction that 'the people' are not running the show. No matter how many people object to war, it doesn't seem to matter. When people come together for change, as in the Occupy Movement, they are allowed to be heard only just so long if their message catches on. Then they must be silenced. My question is how high up in the visible power structure does this go?

Jacqueline Cleary,

RE: ³how high up in the visible power structure does this go?"

Thank you for initiating this contact. From my own study of documents, I can
say this deception for command & control goes back in a concerted strategic
way 100s & even 1000s of years of planned Œcommand-&-control¹. Colonialism
was not planned by European¹s economic-ecological refugees, but they were
strategically manipulated to conquer worldwide by oligarchs. What our media
portrays as governments are owned false-democracies & bureaucracies. This is
a complex question. There are lots of original sources to understand this
wealth collusion for control. Most involved in this charade are unaware or
just simply compliant (desperately lacking in self-esteem) personalities.
It is difficult to understand today¹s perverted Œexogenous¹ (Latin
Œother-generated¹) system without understanding humanity¹s long 100s of
1000s of years of abundant peaceful worldwide universal Œindigenous¹ (L
Œself-generating¹) heritage. We are all indoctrinated to believe our
indigenous ancestry was primitive & not worthy of our attention. Indigene
Community compiles indigenous heritage in 77 web-sections
Www.indigenecommunity.info If you send me your email, I can respond with a
recent article containing many web-links.

Douglas Jack douglasf.jack@gmail.com

commondreams+ec92ad453ffa5cea11a3d7f5b9ea315b@discoursemail.com

Video: Omar Khadr’s ‘Interrogation’ at US Prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba Here is what we did to #OmarKhadr http://wp.me/p8LPJA-1kE