Home | About | Donate

Justice Neil Gorsuch Has Landed, to the Delight of the American Right

Justice Neil Gorsuch Has Landed, to the Delight of the American Right

Bill Blum

The biggest story coming from the Supreme Court these days doesn’t concern the cases the court decided during its recently completed October 2016 term. The biggest story—and it’s one that will resound for decades—is that Neil Gorsuch has replaced the deceased Antonin Scalia as the panel’s ninth member, giving the court, once again, a solid 5-4 Republican majority. If he stays healthy, the 49-year-old Gorsuch could serve for another 30 years or more.

Gorsuch was the last piece needed to install theocratic rule in this country. What's the Christian equivalent of a burka? When do they start rounding up atheists like me?

Gorsuch does not have a mean or stupid looking face like most conservatives.

Somehow I don't find that very reassuring.

I don't even know what it means.

I, for one, would like the court to be involved in more urgent issues, such as the Constitutionality of Citizens United, the Constitutionality of The Patriot Act (The Governments right to disappear American Citizens with out Cause/No Habeas corpus/ just flat out disappear someone), and then there is the Military's Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) that conveniently lets the Congress off the hook and allows perpetual Warfare for the Arms Industry and the Pentagon- Then of course there is the nagging problem of inequitable, prejudiced Taxation and Money only going to the top ONLY to serve the fiction of AUSTERITY-

The Growing Surveillance Society is another HUGE transgression against the American people- Phones tapped, computers bugged, all being recorded in that fancy complex our tax dollars paid for in Utah- What A fucked up World/Country we live in that would allow this...Nothing is sacred, there are no secrets any more.....

These are the things that really bother me- The turn key totalitarian rulings made after the fictitious events of 9-11- Nobody seems to be talking much about this?

Just to name but A few- But I guess it's too late for all of this as our brain dead Voting block gave the Republicans total power over our Government, but was anything that would change all of this on the table when Mr. Obama was running things???

I, for one, would like the court to be involved in more urgent issues, such as the Constitutionality of Citizens United, the Constitutionality of The Patriot Act (The Governments right to disappear American Citizens with out Cause/No Habeas corpus/ just flat out disappear someone), and then there is the Military's Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) that conveniently lets the Congress off the hook and allows perpetual Warfare for the Arms Industry and the Pentagon- Then of course there is the nagging problem of inequitable, prejudiced Taxation and Money only going to the top ONLY to serve the fiction of AUSTERITY-

The Growing Surveillance Society is another HUGE transgression against the American people- Surveilance cameras on every street corned, facial recognition, eye scans,Phones tapped, computers bugged, all being recorded in that fancy complex our tax dollars paid for in Utah- Cops gunning down people every day because they are "Afraid" (conditioning for A police State is the intent!) -What A fucked up World/Country we live in that would allow this...Nothing is sacred, there are no secrets any more.....

These are the things that really bother me- The turn key totalitarian rulings made after the fictitious events of 9-11- Nobody seems to be talking much about this?

Just to name but A few- But I guess it's too late for all of this as our brain dead Voting block gave the Republicans total power over our Government, but was anything that would change all of this on the table when Mr. Obama was running things???

In order for the Court to address these things, someone with standing needs to bring a lawsuit. Standing involves some direct harm to the individual or group from these laws.
Then the suit needs to wind its way up through the lower courts to the Supreme Court.

First, though, where to find an individual or group that has been directly harmed? Whose rights have been infringed? So many of the cases you cite are not done in public. For instance, how to prove that your rights have been violated when surveillance is done secretly? Who knows if they are targeted? Or someone disappears. If they disappear, how can they bring a lawsuit?