Home | About | Donate

Katrina and Conservative Failure, Ten Years Later

Katrina and Conservative Failure, Ten Years Later

Terrance Heath

Ten years later, the federal government’s response to Hurricane Katrina is a heartrending example of the consequences and human cost of conservative failure.

Conservatives and failure are so attached that maintaining their label in the face of their constant wars, financial catastrophes and other atrocities is a triumph of propaganda.

It goes both ways, I am a libertarian because I align with most of their ideals and am totally sick of the two party system. With that being said, it needs to be understood that greed and corruption to attain more power and money is always the culprit, not conservatism itself. That's like blaming democratic agendas for the downfall of Detroit(which is an example that holds a lot of ground but in the end, mankind is still ti blame). Mankind is the most fallible of creatures, right and left. The below article is about the Mayor whom was in office during the Katrina disaster. From the charges I would say he is as much to blame for the continual decline of New Orleans as is conservative president, George W. Bush. I am only replying because like most things in life there is always more than one factor that has an effect on causality. From beginning to end the disaster of New Orleans from Katrina was a failure on mankind's part, period. From people not leaving or being able to leave when warned to even building a city that is below sea level. Mankind is to blame for everything EXCEPT the hurricane itself.

By Michael Kunzelman, The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS -- Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin was indicted Friday on charges that he used his office for personal gain, accepting payoffs, free trips and gratuities from contractors while the city was struggling to recover from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

The charges against Nagin are the outgrowth of a City Hall corruption investigation that already has resulted in guilty pleas by two former city officials and two businessmen and a prison sentence for a former city vendor.

The federal indictment accuses Nagin of accepting more than $160,000 in bribes and truckloads of free granite for his family business in exchange for promoting the interests of a local businessman who secured millions of dollars in city contract work after the 2005 hurricane. The businessman, Frank Fradella, pleaded guilty in June to bribery conspiracy and securities-fraud charges and has been cooperating with federal authorities."

I was unable to post the link containing the remainder of the article but it can be found on NBC.