Home | About | Donate

Katrina Pain Index 2016 by the Numbers: Race and Class Gap Widening

Katrina Pain Index 2016 by the Numbers: Race and Class Gap Widening

Bill Quigley

Summary. Hurricane Katrina hit eleven years ago. Population of the City of New Orleans is down by over 95,000 people from 484,674 in 2000 to 389,617 in 2015. Almost all this loss of people is in the African American community. Child poverty is up, double the national average. The gap between rich and poor in New Orleans is massive, the largest in the country. The economic gap between wel

Thank you for this recap. We just saw Louisiana take a major climate change hit, again. I seems it can't get any worse for the citizens of that state, then it does.
I'm a firm believer that the Gulf will eventually be completely consumed by the oil and gas industry. Climate change will hit hard in that region again and again.
It is painfully obvious that the people need to move out, one way or another, this can't get better for them there. I was against rebuilding the storm ravaged areas in New Orleans, as they will be hit again. In fact, it isn't just Louisiana, it's all along the coast lines that the threat increases each year.
The supposedly, smartest minds in the country live on the East and West coasts. Seems like they really aren't as smart as we think since they will go first. Climate change won't recognize race and class.

During the past half century Mississippi has had the most "dead last" rankings. Looks like Louisiana is giving Mississippi a run for its money to be ther worst of the worst.