Home | About | Donate

Keep Border Spy Tech Out of Dreamer Protection Bills

Keep Border Spy Tech Out of Dreamer Protection Bills

Adam Schwartz

If Congress votes this month on legislation to protect Dreamers from deportation, any bill it considers should not include invasive surveillance technologies like biometric screening, social media snooping, automatic license plate readers, and drones. Such high tech spying would unduly intrude on the privacy of immigrants and Americans who live near the border and travel abroad.

I’m thinking that in exchange for passing a clean DACA bill, the Democrats are going to ‘negotiate’ away all of the Republican priorities on immigration.

I put ‘negotiate’ in quotation marks because I could easily have substituted ‘cave in’ or ‘pretend to care, to provide a smoke screen for conservadems who need to look tough on this issue.’

We expect our government to enforce laws against illegal “knock-off” name-brand products to protect American corporations. Shouldn’t we also expect our government to enforce laws to protect American labor? I think he American worker has a right to be protected from illegal competition as much as the American corporation. To me, amnesty in exchange for future enforcement seems like a good deal for both political sides and for America.