Home | About | Donate

Kent State and the Frisbee Revolution

Kent State and the Frisbee Revolution

Michael Winship

Thinking I’d write a piece on the 45th anniversary of the deaths at Kent State, I realized I’d already written it – five years ago. There’s not a lot I’d change in this, although there’s some comfort in the knowledge that unemployment has dropped from the 9.9 percent of 2010 cited below.

Comparisons between "then" and "now" are tricky for a number of reasons. For one thing, the climate has dramatically altered since conscientious citizens know themselves to be living inside a state under surveillance: a/k/a the belly of the beast. That level of scrutiny along with today's type of militarized domestic policing forces were not yet in place during the Kent State matter.

Consider, too, that people are fighting on NUMEROUS fronts since the MIC-corporate covert takeover of our nation has forced millions to fight for all sorts of things which previously were not under attack by that same corporate state.

People are:

1. Fighting for fair wages
  2. Fighting police brutality (this mostly impacting the Black community)
  3. Fighting for women's reproductive rights/birth control access
  4. Fighting ridiculous standardized testing and rating teachers, of all absurdities, accordingly
  5. Fighting the deportation of Hispanics who grew up in this land
  6. Fighting NAFTA and now TPP and TIPP
  7. Fighting the attacks on unions and the closing of public facilities and resources (Scott Walker's game)
  8. Fighting to get Big Money out of elections
  9. Fighting Big Oil to make sure that conversions to wiser fuel sources get underway
  10. Fighting Monsanto and the gen tech companies tainting the public's food supplies--without any warning labels
  11. Fighting Fracking and oil train spills, etc.
  12. Raising $ for one calamity (this week it's the quake in Nepal) after another
  13. Fighting against the odious trade treaties that have decimated U.S. industries and knee-capped Labor and Unions

People DO get tired when forced to fight the same battles they already won. There is exhaustion and a sense that our nation's power structure is inured to citizen unrest.

My point is that there are SO many battles going on and so much citizen opposition--mostly balkanized since a number of issues hit home and take direct aim at specific demographics--that it may not all show up in ONE (say, anti-war) venue.

Besides, the 911 counter-intelligence agenda so profoundly tied militarism to shows of patriotism that it became taboo to question state policy out loud. So few in media did so...

Nor do we have TV shows or radio hosts featuring anti-war voices, songs, or debates.

Add in the fact that so many are also struggling financially with Temp Jobs and wages that have not kept up with cost of living increases (and thus fear rocking the boat and losing what little security they have) and a different picture emerges than that which was the case in the l970s.

don't forget we no longer have a civilian army we have an all "volunteer" mercenary army.

To add to your statement.

The MIC adapted to the students revolutions of the 60's and 70's. They did not want their ability to wage war abroad limited by those at home.

That why those that ran the system decided the Middle Class must be weakened and that when the process began. Right around then the International banking system seized complete control of Central Banks the world over and in the USA that is when those "welfare queen stories in Cadilllac" stories started up. It took about 30 yars to dismantle the middle class and load them so far down with debt they could not afford to protest.

I was looking for a campus commemoration of the shootings for Monday, but it turns out that Kent State's President has declared that the day will be "kept within the university family" and there would not be any events for the 45th anniversary open to the general public. Trying to suppress the memory I guess. 45 years would have been a good time for a more significant ceremony, a lot of those who were there might not be around for a 50 year commemoration. It would have been nice to hear Neil Young sing Ohio on campus (especially since he rarely does it in concert), maybe with then-Kent State student and Akron native Chrissy Hynde, NE Ohio's member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Glad you brought this up. I think it's one of many strategies with the "War on Drugs" being HUGE in creating an incarceration infrastructure that TARGETED left-leaning students, novel thinkers, and far too much of The Black Community.

Also, I appreciate that you pointed this out since posters like "Atomsk" love to bash the Middle Class and prior posters like Rosemarie Jackowski always pushed the power of the 1%/corporatists aside to instead push the idiocy (right wing talking point) that "The Middle Class hates the poor."

So many Trojan horses... disinformation is EVERYWHERE!