Home | About | Donate

Kerry's Bold COP21 Speech Can't Hide US Pledge of "Pennies", Say Activists

Kerry's Bold COP21 Speech Can't Hide US Pledge of "Pennies", Say Activists

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Speaking at the UN climate change conference in Paris on Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry announced an $800 million climate pledge by 2020 from the U.S. and slammed deniers of global warming, stating, "Make no mistake: If, as a global community, we refuse to rise to this challenge—if we continue to allow calculated obstruction to derail the urgency of this moment—we will be liable for a collective moral failure of historic consequence."

"Make no mistake: If, as a global community, we refuse to rise to this challenge—if we continue to allow calculated obstruction to derail the urgency of this moment—we will be liable for a collective moral failure
of historic consequence."

The man would seem to be stumbling through full blown delusion. First - 800M is not even the dust of a crumb of the necessary backfill desperately needed to just for the hole dug by corportate, academic and governmental abuses, delusions and omissions.

That doesn't even look at criminality and identifiable, not to mention yet-to-be-tried, DAMAGES that are crippling the natural social and biological capacity of biomes to maintain and regenerate the integrated balances necessary to maintain living equilibrium, which are already divided, degraded, extracted from dumped on and subsequently abandoned by predatory capitalism.

In the face of changes already occurring - not to mention this and NEXT SEASON when mining disaster such as that in Brazil, having already introduced a malaria vector by the death and destruction being carried all the way to the sea - not to mention the biomes impacted by the massive scales of flooding worldwide this year alone.

800M is dust in the wind

"Make no mistake." "Collective moral failure of historic consequences." These are two examples of tired, not powerful language. I didn't read farther. Did I miss anything?

...while they run Petroleum Industry ads on the Mainstream Media.

Is anyone familiar with Plasma Reactor technology? It is better than solar or wind power and requires no fossil fuels. Ah, I forgot who would pay for the loss to the corporations?

Only politically feasible way I can see to reduce emissions is an emissions or carbon tax with all revenue used to buy fossil fuel as mineral rights from too big to fail fossil fuel firms. When revenues peak (due to emissions peak) add tax on energy regardless of carbon footprint and keep increasing tax rate until revenue peaks and use to buy fossil fuel as mineral rights until federal government has bought all fossil fuel reserves. Then can use revenue to capture CO2 from ambient air to get concentration down to 320 ppm, for dikes to save high-price real estate from flooding, and for desalination of seawater for all freshwater needs.

I'm tired of our being used as guinea pigs of the Nuke industry.

Talk, as it turns out, is cheap.

This $800 million really says a lot about the American priorities and hypocrisy.
Over 5 years it works out to 34 cents per American per year, yahoo, or less than 2% of what America spends on military 'solutions'.
What a country!!

As always with American privatisation, that 800 million isn't even eight hundred million, who will get the money, how much profit will be sucked out of it 10% 30% 100% with the bulk spent on feel good messaging marketing (don't worry little sheepies go back to sleep the shearer and the butcher will look after you for the whole rest of you life, short life).
The US government white house media channel, just one empty commercial after another, whilst the psychopaths at the top get richer and destroy our future in the process.