Home | About | Donate

'Kicking Ass for Her Generation': Applause for 16-Year-Old Greta Thunberg as EU Chief Pledges $1 Trillion to Curb Climate Threat

'Kicking Ass for Her Generation': Applause for 16-Year-Old Greta Thunberg as EU Chief Pledges $1 Trillion to Curb Climate Threat

Julia Conley, staff writer

Sixteen-year-old climate action leader Greta Thunberg stood alongside European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker Thursday in Brussels as he indicated—after weeks of climate strikes around the world inspired by the Swedish teenager—that the European Union has heard the demands of young people and pledged more than $1 trillion over the next seven years to address the crisis of a rapidly heating planet.

1 Like

“, the EU will devote a quarter of its budget to solving the crisis.” (From the article)

Great. What about the rest of the world? Climate change is all encompassing. Not just in europe.

7 Likes

‘"Unite behind the science, that is our demand,” Thunberg told a plenary session of the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) Thursday.’

EESC, start by using science-based algorithms to remove the externalities from the economic system. Otherwise the euros will be spent in vain. Economic models and targets based upon maximizing activity are intrinsically foolishly criminal to the morality of Pacha Mama, who knows that judicious use of energy is the key to harmony.

6 Likes

Can we clone Greta? Will she inspire someone here in the States? When will she come here to teach us? I find it encouraging the mentioning of air and sea travel, they are a must.

3 Likes

This little girl has done more to combat climate change than all politicians in America and the EU combined.
The desperate need for a large scale political revolution could not be more obvious.

13 Likes

We’ll see how this all plays out, but it does show the extent that one person with real vision, one person who fully comprehends, to the marrow of her bones, the crisis that is in front of us, can have, even on the establishment.
The fact that Greta Thunberg is a child, and seems completely serious, sincere, and even ego-less, has helped the cause also.

7 Likes

Obviously a single sixteen year girl is smarter than every American politician in history multiplied together. I really wish we had a person or two that genetically uncompromised on this side of the pond.

4 Likes

Not smarter, she’s just not corrupt.

5 Likes

Write Greta!

I’d give a fig to see how she’d deal with Dump…and vice-versa.

Seems? She IS serious. The kid is awesome. Gandhi would be proud of her.

8 Likes

I think this is making me cry because there really isn’t any time remaining to save life on this wonderful planet.

2 Likes

I bet she’s smarter. And a lot more courageous. More common sense. And more…

2 Likes

THUNBERG and JUNCKER—that sounds good-----kind of like Wonder Woman and Superman! Yes, Yoda is right again. " Do or do not—there is no try!" GRETA IS and the EU better be serious because-----whoa---- all those kids in the streets can stop commerce ! YEA!

1 Like

People can knock her all they want, but I don’t see anyone else stepping up to the plate.

2 Likes

It’s impossible for a smart person to be corrupt. Smart means not self destructing. The Europeans just destroyed the American economy hands down, left it little more than a smoldering ruin, a sideshow to the biggest economic and environmental movement in the history of global economics and movements in general, and all the bankers and oligarchs and oil companies and banks and insurance companies, and car manufacturers completely missed it. By the time they figure it out they’ll be little more than a spectator, way way behind the curve. Thanks Greta. A classic example of self defeating conservative myopia. Here’s the American equivalent of Europe’s delayed response to the crisis :

4 Likes

I don’t dispute the other character issues, you’re right , hands down.

Can’t agree with that, guess it depends on you’re definition of smart.

1 Like

Nobel Peace Prize anyone?

Why tarnish this wonderful person’s efforts by associating her with a propaganda tool designed to whitewash war criminals?

5 Likes

I think that we are going to have to do the best we can for now with the bogus economic system we have, based on extraction in every respect. There are a few prominent and honest economists (Joseph Stiglitz, Jeffrey Sachs) who have some talent and experience at working around the externalities, and hundreds if not thousands of less prominent ones in the US alone, including many who earned their “union card” (PhD) within the past decade, some of whom might be willing to work cheap for the cause! But we might do well to try to work realistic correction for externalities into whatever Green New Deal may emerge. That has been a part of the standard “theory” (“neoclassical”) for more than a century, but conspicuously absent from most of the practice. On the other hand (hey, I’m an economist), it might be better (as long as we’re wishing) to scrap[ capitalism entirely and consider what has resulted in far better outcomes in other countries for decades.

2 Likes