Home | About | Donate

'Kill the Filibuster': Senate Democrats Urged to Act Quickly to End Era of GOP Obstruction

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/01/06/kill-filibuster-senate-democrats-urged-act-quickly-end-era-gop-obstruction

1 Like

Unfortunately not happening. Because the real winner of the runoff was… Joe Manchin. He is now basically second most powerful Democrat out there. The first is Biden, and even that is debatable.

2 Likes

I believe Biden has already done his job. He was supposed to run for POTUS, offering a tired electorate stability instead of change, and after beating Trump without even trying, he is now only expected to keep the chair warm for Harris and her new VP, Mayo Pete.

3 Likes

All the democrats have to do now is simply follow the Mitch model for running the senate.
Always emulate the other guys success, and build on it.

1 Like

Matt Bruenig nails it:

“Don’t let them spin some narrative that they can’t get this or that done. They can get what ever they want done. If they don’t, it’s because at least some of them don’t want to.”

After what the people have been through with McConnell, if the three listed, Manchin, Sinema, Tester refuse to get rid of the filibuster, it’s long time past to boot them from the party with intense campaigning in their states in their next election cycle. Or perhaps we will have a viable Peoples Party by then.

8 Likes

Yes, Manchin has already said he’ll shoot down killing the filibuster or any other significant election reform. He needs to be booted too.

4 Likes

yep. it’s 08-'10 over again. and all we got from total control of government was a GOP health plan from hell. That was it.

And partisans get mad when we keep hammering at the simple point that their party isn’t what they think it is, and it doesn’t want what they want.

And here goes the second historical lesson in just over a decade. Let’s hope this is the charm.

3 Likes

i’ve been saying this since 1994 but if the dems get nothing done before 2022 and make the usual excuses, i’m voting third party for the rest of my life. ah who am i kidding…

1 Like

i have a repeating daydream of schumer calling manchin, sinema and tester into a room and going full al capone on them, vowing to destroy them and their families if they don’t fall in line

2 Likes

That is foolishness… Manchin can simply threaten to switch parties, and hand the gavel back to McTurtle, who will amply reward the traitor.

1 Like

Then let him. Does that other party not need actual moderation? The Democrats are a right wing party, and the Republicans are fascists. The Democrats help to create a good context for fascism to grow. If he went to the other party, he would be a little less right wing than the rest. So, let him. What is it going to matter anyway? He is going to be horrible regardless. At least that party can actually start to stand for SOMETHING and have some ideological coherence. But, it isn’t going to happen, so it is all academic. The Democrats in power are almost all corrupt, right wing and rich. They don’t care about anyone outside of their class any more than the other rotten party.

I am happy that Mitch is not the majority leader, but on policy, I expect almost nothing to change, and things will likely continue to get progressively worse. This will not change until the damn rank and file Democrats stop nominating these rotten people in their primaries over and over again. And I am sorry, but it is a situation where older voters do in fact vote time and time again in large numbers for right wing Democrats. If there isn’t an awakening very soon, outright fascism is coming.

6 Likes

The parting on the left is now parting on the right.

3 Likes

If Manchin joins the Republicans, McConnell will again be Majority Leader, and that lets the Democrats blame Mitch for blocking legislation that the DP establishment doesn’t really want to support anyway.

As a Democrat, Manchin will block progressive legislation, but Schumer will get the blame for weak leadership.

I’ll bet that Schumer and McConnell are both working to get Manchin to flip.

4 Likes

As a voter for neither major party , I can see that this election was obviously rigged for the non-campaigning demented one and his cohort who could not even garner primary votes. When half the country feels cheated ,the USA should never lecture any country on fair elections.

1 Like

it’s a daydream
in the imagined scenario manchin would fear for the safety of his family
a man can dream…

1 Like

who said that

Pete Townsend

The Who

2 Likes

There is one more task for Biden. He has to die before the next election.

Nice dream, but back in reality, this only happens if the scene is filmed, and at the end Schumer is not caught winking at Manchin. :))

1 Like

Smile and grin at the change all around