Home | About | Donate

Killing Democracy in America

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/27/killing-democracy-america

2 Likes

Graham Greene’s (1955) The Quiet American and William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick’s (1958) The Ugly American foretold how unprepared the American mind was to engage in Indo-China. America, being such a new nation had not yet produced a diplomatic sophistication competent to contemplate the cultures beyond western civilization (and barely that, I would argue). We became the world’s largest bully, buffeted by two vast oceans, two docile neighbors, vast natural resources, and an industrial might wound up yet untouched by WWII. A veritable bull in a (into-)china shop one might say. And we learned nothing. With Granada we announced our revival!? (WTF?) And were off and running. The rest is merely detail. I shall leave the editorializing to Peter, Paul and Mary: “Oh when will they ever learn, when will they ever learn?”

11 Likes

We were bullies well before messing with a colonial war in Indo-China. We’ve been at war with someone or something since the first Europeans stepped foot on Turtle Island.
Cytokine Storm, a/k/a sepsis, does apply to the health of the US of Abuse. Our vital organs have failed. Who trusts the institutions anymore? Church, neighborhood, court system, police. Congress, SCOTUS, and POTUS have always been contentious. Back in the 60’s, the State did manage to rough break us to the point the riots stopped, but the unrest just went underground.
How do medical providers deal with sepsis with major organ failure? Well…you’re blasted with wide spectrum antibiotics, put on a ventilator to keep breathing, dialysis to ease the load on failed kidneys, and a lot of crossed fingers that this one patient will pull through, and that the organs return to a minimum level of function. For the US, we need the equivalent of this treatment, cut the military budget to a size it can be drowned in a bathtub. And stop using war metaphors for dealing with issues. War on this, war on that…when perhaps learning what causes the problem is much less costly and more effective.
FYI, my kidneys are barely functioning, lungs are compromised, heart is in widow-maker mode. For the US, we won’t be the world’s only superpower, able to bully everyone else. We’ll be content to keep roads in minimal repair, bridges under load restrictions, and no more Black Fridays.

4 Likes

Well intentioned article. But it’s underlying assumption is that the Republic is a democracy. Is it?

1 Like

When was the last time a MSM long form program focused on what’s actually happening on the ground in Afghanistan? All we consumers get is a 90 second snippet here or there. A mention of possible bounties after two decades?
Well, what do think might happen or escalate into over there? Polo contests and backgammon games?
The world outside the U.S. has pretty much disappeared lately; like a sunset on a postcard, it’s generally only mailed-in now. And, with Trump’s continuous and complete domination of the 24/7 news cycle, when will we be able to rid ourselves of the plague he has become? Show us anything besides that horse’s arse, please. His presence really is COVID-19 like in its constancy.
How about some news coverage of the collapse of Libya after OhBummer & Sarcozy sicced NATO troops on that country? Seen any footage of the ongoing Yeman or Syrian debacles? Hell, even N. Korea and the requisite response from S. Korea are completely off the radar lately.
Now, this newly created version of Lost World is a very frightening development, imo. Really!!!
When The Empire has to fixate on its horrid domestic situations, to this very myopic extent, we average citizens should probably be on the edge of our collective chairs. We are in very dire straits, indeed. Apparently our homeland is on the edge of such a colossal collapse the normal misdirections are being put to the side. No need to go there, right?
Do we live in a democracy or in a dystopian funk?
Frankly, I’m not sure this country will even be remotely recognizable in 18 months. When the only word on your fortune cookie message is BLEAK…well; anyone seeing and foretelling our future is a hoodwinking, bamboozling grifter.

5 Likes

I think it was Gandhi who was asked what he thought of “western civilization”. I think he said it would be a good idea.

4 Likes

That quote popped into almost everyone’s head here. Thanks for the notation.

1 Like

Coroner’s report:

“…subject was drowned in a bathtub…”

Analogies are like what Einstien meant by imagination being more important than knowledge. And he meant it, he cracked the code of reality by imagining situations, relations, relativities. Works for non-geniuses too, just sayin.
I have been analogyzing the now, as Dr./patient, progressive WE as the doc, the symptomanics in need of remedy.

“Do No Harm”

• Hippocrates

Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster… for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• Friedrich Nietzsche

" You are what you do, not what you say you’ll do."

• Carl Jung

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

• Albert Einstein

We don’t have to like them but we better love our enemy or we will find out the enemy is us, just ask Poco.

pt. 1

4 Likes

No —it is the Vultures are circling=====

Nothing on who Biden might pick??? This pick could set the agenda for years to come------I just saw a thing on Harris --MSNBC- she had a history of hiding evidence -----if this is really true she does not belong on the ticket.

I suspect most of us sometimes fall in love with ideas. We have an idea that seems perfect and we dwell on it, come to believe in it and reflexively reject any hint that it could be wrong. Intellectual maturity would make us question the idea, to examine it and refute it if that is possible, but being in love with the idea we fight of that urge to question. Eventually though, this narrowness of thought can come back to bite us hard and we should learn from that experience to maintain more skepticism in the future.

Somehow though, our political leadership seems incapable of that kind of learning process.

Commonly attributed to Gandhi but not substantiated.
+ttps://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/04/23/good-idea/

Something has to be ‘alive’ before you can ‘kill’ it.

1 Like

Those uniformed, weapons-carrying thugs, paid every cent by our taxes … are the terrorists attempting to hold America hostage to the agenda of the 1%!