Home | About | Donate

Know Where You Stand: Decades Ago, the Prescient Daniel Berrigan Lamented The Dream of Israel Had Become A Nightmare

Know Where You Stand: Decades Ago, the Prescient Daniel Berrigan Lamented The Dream of Israel Had Become A Nightmare

We mourn the indomitable Daniel Berrigan, who serenely deemed his decades-long fight for peacemaking "tough, unfinished, blood-ridden" - and vital. Among his keen insights, he denounced an Israel that even by 1973 had become "a criminal Jewish community" embarked on an "imperial adventure...The model is not the kingdom of peace; it is an Orwellian transplant, taken bodily from Big Brother's bloody heart." On Israel as elsewhere, he counselled, "Know where you stand, and stand there." May he be, at last, at peace.

And Israel is on the verge of receiving another $40 BILLION in US weaponry and direct aid while hundreds of thousands of Americans go homeless.

Our politicians, Democrat & Republican keep on giving Israel all that aid when it oppresses the Palestinians & says Iran wants to nuke them & wipe them off the map. Iran never said it wants to wipe Israel off the map. It says Israel wiped the Palestinians off the map.

When Fr Berrigan spends two years in America's jails while Cheney and Bush et al are at liberty something is drastically wrong with the United States. If any journalists at the paper of record had any integrity, peacemakers like Dan and Phil Berrigan would be celebrated instead of incarcerated.

May the trees all shake for Daniel Berrigan.

I wish I had known the truth about Israel when I was younger. I spent years wondering why apparently sane people were supporting Palestinian terrorists. It took decades for the blinders to come off.

MSM is still pushing the same narrative that had me fooled, but now fewer people are listening. They can get different viewpoints - worldwide viewpoints - and make up their own minds.

That's why Israel is so desperate to portray BDS as anti-Semitic. Too many people are hearing the truth.

BDS: People powered economic diplomacy

I wish you could have too, then I wouldn't have been so all alone on the left.

Dan Berrigan was a true saint for our times.