Home | About | Donate

Labeled 'No Vacation Nation,' US Still Lags Behind Other Wealthy Countries in Giving Workers Paid Holidays

Labeled 'No Vacation Nation,' US Still Lags Behind Other Wealthy Countries in Giving Workers Paid Holidays

Julia Conley, staff writer

Just ahead of Memorial Day, a new report out Wednesday reveals that workers in the U.S. continue to lag far behind those in other wealthy countries when it comes to paid vacation and holidays.

Vacation, what’s that, something you eat?
The “boss lottery”, what a joke, I’ve seen people called into work while on vacation because of management screw-ups. I’m talking about vacations planned and submitted to management months in advance.

Ew, Memorial Day. I don’t celebrate it. Can we dump war celebratory and congratulatory holidays, please. Those days I would work! Let’s make up some new holidays. Plant a garden holiday? Recycle holiday. Any others?
Anyway, as the world moves toward gig economies, there will be no holidays unless you skip pay.

High wage workers? How about salaried workers? The people I’ve known with top salaries over the last fifteen years, and it is quite a few, are working incredibly long hours, like often 60, 70, 80 hours per week, or more. Apple employees is an extreme example of this common pattern. It is rough on home life. Sure, they have vacations when work slacks off, but this kind of lifestyle is not healthy for body and family. This allows the company to pay fewer benefits, saves on training, and provides continuity on projects. All company benefits, not worker benefits.
One of the reasons the 40 hour work week began, if I remember right, was to spread around more jobs.

(For salaried workers,_this article says salaried workers work longer. And I wonder if it averages in holiday time. Probably does. I remember how companies fought to keep the minimum amount to qualify for salaried workers low so they wouldn’t have to pay overtime.)

This is the article I was really searching for:
http://www.nber.org/digest/jul06/w11895.html
Explanation of why salaried workers have been putting in incredible hours. The office expects it. The work needs to get done. The rewards are forthcoming.