Home | About | Donate

Landmark Human Rights Complaint Lodged Against World's Worst Polluters

Landmark Human Rights Complaint Lodged Against World's Worst Polluters

Nika Knight, staff writer

The world's 47 largest producers of greenhouse gases must respond within 45 days to an unprecedented legal complaint filed Wednesday by the Philippines, which alleges the fossil fuel behemoths have deprived millions of residents of the island nation of their human rights through catastrophic global warming.

If I'm not mistaken, the US military is the largest single producer of greenhouse gases in the world. Each of these "worst polluters" pales in comparison to US troops in over a hundred countries fighting wars and turning hundreds of thousands of people into refugees. This is not to mention the pollution produced by the MIC in providing them with the latest and greatest weapons. How about we bring the troops home and have an actual DEFENSE budget for a change.

tcarlson, you're not mistaking.

This statement or complaint is opening up a whole can of worms regarding who is responsible for what can be effectively described as a massive anthropocentric carbon dump into the Earth's atmosphere. The extractors (Shell, BP, ExxonMobil, Chevron, and many other oil, gas, concrete manufacturing, and mining behemoths), the motivators of the extraction (wars, industrial innovators, those who gain financially from firing the engines of industry), the controllers of extraction and consumption (governments and state regulators), and of course the human consumers of carbon based energy conversion, a burning of carbon that has the potential of destroying most higher forms of life on Earth, life forms by which I mean any living entity of a higher order than a nematode.

The fact that all of this warring for resources has never been officially acknowledged by the bipartisan PTB (We always fight for democracy and freedom, right?) tells me that things are not going to change until we bite off more than we can chew, WWIII with Russia and China for instance. It will then be abundantly clear to whatever is left of the world that WE have been the war criminals all along. Our leaders will be hauled off to some international court and charged with crimes just as the Nazis were in the Nuremberg Trials.