Home | About | Donate

Landslide Win for 'Ruthless and Vindictive' Prime Minister Stokes Fears of Further Division in India

Landslide Win for 'Ruthless and Vindictive' Prime Minister Stokes Fears of Further Division in India

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

Right-wing Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi claimed a decisive re-election victory on Thursday, raising fears that his government's assault on minorities in the world's largest democracy is just beginning.

Modi, whose Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is headed to a clear majority of seats in the Indian Parliament, tweeted that "India wins again!" as results came in Thursday. At press time, the BJP had strong leads in 299 parliamentary districts; 272 seats are needed for a majority in the parliament.

What the he!! is going on around the world, are we loaning our voting machines to these countries?

2 Likes

“Landslide Win for ‘Ruthless and Vindictive’ Prime Minister Stokes Fears of Further Division in India”

“Further Division?” So, my dear Mr. Higgins, is that what you choose to call resistance to the fascist (not just “right wing”) Modi BJP Regime - “division”???

If that is what it is called, then we should be hardly fearing it - we should be fully supporting lots and lots of “division” in India!

Of course, as far as real division, the opposite is more likely. The resisitance to fascism is going to spawn a great unified movement of everyone on the Indian left and center against the BJP.

I know you were joking, but the left needs to get over its US-centrism and start gearing up for an totally new struggle where none of the old assumptions are going to apply.

The conditions and tools that led to the rise of the fascist-populist BJP (and neofascism elsewhere, like Hungary and Turkey and the Phillipines) have nothing to do with the USA save for the emboldening morale-boost they get with a protofascist leading the USA. Ms. A. Roy herself would tell you that.

In the U.S., the prime minister can count both Republican President Donald Trump and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) as vocal supporters.

That’s some weakass associative bullshit, Higgins.

Tulsi Gabbard has a record of supporting authoritarians and fascists and various nationalists regrdless of their human rights record. Modi is an “anti imperialist”, you see…

I didn’t the people of this world were stupid enough to blow it up or kill it in some fashion. I apologize for my mistake.

1 Like

And she has, quite a few times, apologized and said she was wrong in the past.

A very disturbing period. We are seeing all of these type of regressive leaders rising up around the world. What we may be seeing in the unveiling of the mask meaning the our governments have always been very regressive, violent and fascistic but they have put a happy face on the surface so that we thought they were forces for good.

a “record” you say?

Any chance you can give any examples from the last 6 years or so?

Nothing wrong with supporting anti-imperialists, anti-war-mongers and the like.