Home | About | Donate

'Large Heart and a Loud Voice': Pro-Labor Radio and TV News Host Ed Schultz Dead at 64

'Large Heart and a Loud Voice': Pro-Labor Radio and TV News Host Ed Schultz Dead at 64

Jon Queally, staff writer

Radio host and former MSNBC anchor Ed Schultz has died. He was 64 years old.

According to RT America—where his show "The News with Ed Schultz" airs on weekday evenings—the pro-labor journalist died from natural causes at his home on Thursday.

"We are devastated by the news of the sudden death of our brilliant anchor, one of the best TV-Journalists in America, Ed Schultz," said RT editor-in-chief Margarita Simonyan.

As RT noted in response to the news:

Astalavista, Ed.

You mind taking Trump with you?

Oh, that’s right. He’s going downstairs.

RIP Mr Schultz.

Didn’t know that MSNBC told him not to cover Bernie Sanders – !!
Ed Schultz tried harder than most at MSNBC –
I tuned out long before he was fired.

You have to start asking questions when someone who is even a little left of center dies of “Natural Causes”.

My wife an I enjoyed his show. We did not always agree with him and felt at times he was not sincere but he had our respect. RIP Ed. Sorry to see you go so early. Thank you for your time here.

An old line Republican progressive, turned labor rights/advocate for unions; a real good ol’ boy Midestern Democrat.
A fisherman but not a big environmentalist; never the less, he was persuable and you didn’t need a Google algorithm to figure out who his listeners were.
As one jock to another, god’s speed and at least you showed up, which is more than those you defended can usually say.

Weird, I never heard of him, but I liked him in the 1st tape, but not the 2nd one. Mr. Scahill was right after all.

I liked Ed. I use to watch RT during mid-Obama years but stopped 2013 or so. I found out he went to RT after MSNBC tried to quiet him.

Hearing him on the radio, I felt he was in tune with whoever he was in discussion with. He listened. He had passion, and I also got the message that he was going to tell the truth. Lucky you. You are doing bigger and better things.

I saw him at a health care (as subject) appearance in Boulder. You could tell, he not only loved being with people, he really did listen, and he really did care about people. Last I recall at the event, he had interviewed a local family (Mom and Dad) of a young and very ill baby, who was in danger of death if they did not have an opportunity for a change in health care status. He found their story so compelling he asked them to be on the show that week. I did not get to see them but would love to find that episode. RIP Big Ed.

Ed went to Wisconsin to support the teachers’ protests a few years ago and spent several days there reporting live, one of the few news reporters to do so. He openly criticized Obama for promising to march with union workers, but then totally ignoring union issues once in office.

:heart:️:heart:️:heart:️:heart:️:broken_heart:

Seriously?

Ed was one of the first shows on Air America’s KPOJ in Portland, Oregon, in 2004. At that time he was still broadcasting his local show in Fargo as well as his new national show - he was grateful to his local audience and understood that they had given him this opportunity. He told the story of his first date with Wendy, how she took him to a soup kitchen and he realized what this country had done to vets. It was a Paul on the road to Damascus story. He was a voice of our best bed-rock values and was always open to the genuine complexity of our economic and social realities. He lived big and true and I am sorry he did not have more time.

Especially when that person dies well before the average life expectancy. On the other hand though as much as we wish it was otherwise the simplest answer is often the correct one. In either case the world is a little darker now with him gone.

Ed Schultz was the most genuine champion of the Working Class on the air and the loss of his ongoing commentary is immeasurable. Thankfully, his message will live on because he’s inspired countless people who’ve wisely tired of the corporate controlled mainstream to tune into the superior journalism practiced at RT, an outlet that welcomed his honesty when he couldn’t abide MSNBC’s appalling censorship.

On the day Ed passed away, I tuned in to a few of the nightly MSNBC shows to see what they had to say.
I only watched the first 10 minuets of those shows, but I never heard any mention of him .
Most likely they got the same message about Schultz as they did about Bernie Sanders…“Don’t say anything about him”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if among themselves the staff, especially the CEOs, popped a bottle of champagne once they learned of his death.

As time goes by, his legend will grow and the fearless words and actions of Ed Schultz will forevermore be synonymous with the spirit of ethical journalism,… in spite of the poorly disguised glee displayed by the unwitting ghouls who’ve orchestrated the corporate takeover of the mainstream news…and its inevitable demise.