Home | About | Donate

'Largest Act of Organized Teacher Political Action in State History' as North Carolina Joins National Wave

'Largest Act of Organized Teacher Political Action in State History' as North Carolina Joins National Wave

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Drawing inspiration from a wave of public education protests that have swept across several states in recent months, nearly 20,000 North Carolina teachers descended on Raleigh, the state capital, on Wednesday to "march for students and rally for respect."

This is wonderful to see. Teachers are taking the lead in this country to fight for a more just America.
We are living in very strange and troubling times in both this country and around the world. We see hatred and contempt coming from leaders of powerful countries. We see innocent people, including young people being horribly treated and murdered. Yet we are seeing many instances that show people are ready to fight back. We see that today in North Carolina. Thank you dear teachers.

“North Carolina Association of Educators (NCAE) said in a statement that laid out a list of expectations for lawmakers.” A truly inspirational statement (sarcasm). According to the NCAE statement, the Association’s highest goal is for NC to become average. The stated goal is to reach the national average in 4 years. Sounds like they took their playbook from the DNC. Be practical. Forget about inspiring our students to be all they can be. Just teach them to be practical and be satisfied with average. This really gives NC educators something to rally around. Something for which to put their careers on the line.

The public schools are basically where the resistance is going to have it’s first big wave. The neglect of schools since Reagan has finally reached critical mass. The horror show of DeVos is in large part with her evil, endless privatization, uber capitalist, and idiot stuff. She is too fucking stupid not to realize–her presence is making this happen. And there are shills in the Department of Education who are right now covering for her. Not teachers. They have daily deal with all of it.

Right on, NC Educatgors!

Teachers are interrupting what is in fact an attempt to overturn public education.

"We saw Kentucky, Oklahoma and Arizona, of course, and that momentum that has been building in these ‘right-to-work states’ is inspiring," Kristin Beller, a teachers’ union leader in Wake County, North Carolina, told the Guardian, which noted that Wednesday’s mass action is "a bold move for North Carolina as teachers in in the state lack collective bargaining rights—something they hope helps launch a political movement."

What of teachers unions? Are they still supporting the Democratic Party?

How are their interests different from the owners of the Democratic Party – the Koch Bros?

When will we see the public facing the reality of “Charter Schools” which are being used to steal the educations of children in public schools in all of our states?

The longer the right wing holds power the more boxed-in we all are.

Get your priorities straight!

Fund education not tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires!

I truly feel for those teachers in NC. What an uphill battle they face!

Truly shocking that teachers there have NO Collective bargaining rights and they have to take a $50 cut out of their own pay whenever they need to take a personal day off, on top of being paid $9,600 less than the national average! Does the Superintendent have his/her pay docked every time they need to take a day off? I would think not, because no salaried professional would consider that reasonable!

I think we should all take inspiration from this and seriously consider using this as a springboard for a national workers’ strike. I know it’s a pipe dream (and I like my pipe dreams!), but wouldn’t it be wonderful if we just shut this mother-effing country down for a day or two?

What specifically would make it wonderful?
“It’d show 'em that we mean business!!”

I suppose you don’t need to work, but not all of us can afford to prance around in the streets wearing pussy hats for a couple of days and then try to make up the difference afterwards.

And you think the 1% would even notice?

That’s OK. I remember being 14 too.
Things just had to sound like fun, not make sense.

If you lived in NC, you’d understand why they are trying to get students to at least be average. Too many people are so downtrodden and feeling hopeless that they don’t even bother trying. As one of my college professors used to say “there’s a culture of mediocrity in this state” meaning that they don’t try to apply themselves.

If that’s your idea of a general strike, you need to read up on some labor history—or even Mario Savio’s little talk about gears and levers.

“FightThePower?”

More like “SuckUpToPower” and hope they even notice.

Thanks for your right on article. The Democratic Party has lost its soul at the most important time in our short history. 100 million voters did not vote in the last election. That is why Trump and his crime family are in the White House dismantling the government.

Workers in the US are overworked and underpaid – and have pretty much lost
all benefits which formerly existed: health care and pensions, vacation time
and personal days. And any feeling of security in their jobs.

Every year the Federal Reserve Bank is reducing national employment by at
least one digit – we’re now some where just a bit over 50% employment which
is of course far below full employment levels. This is a threat to every employee.

The answer to corporate/fascism is non-cooperation with Elites and Capitalism.

At the same time – much of what corporations “sell” to America are harming our
communities, our environment, the planet – and of course ultimately human health.

There are many actions which can be taken which are basic self-defense.

And still corporate actions against unionization of LABOR continue on which also
increase the threat of lower wages for all employees.

We are all LABOR – universally that is understood.

All LABOR has a right to act in its own interests with or without a union.

Insulting someone you disagree with?

That’s OK. I remember being 8, too.

But are NC teachers really under paid?

The current average for a NC teacher is $51,214 a year.
They get 12 paid holidays, 12 days paid sick leave, 17 days paid vacation, $6600 disability and retirement, $5377 health insurance and ~2 months off during the summer.
Fully vested after 5 years, full retirement benefits after 25 years of employment.

This is for around 180 student contact days a year.

It’s not the path to great wealth but I’ve worked a lot more for a lot less.

"North Carolina is one of the worst in the country in the amount our elected leaders spend per student, more than $3,000 behind the national average. Imagine what $3,000 per student could mean for our children. However, we have the lowest corporate tax rate in the country for states that have one–and it’s set to go lower again.

North Carolina ranks 35th for teacher pay, about $9,000 behind the national average. When adjusting for inflation, educators are losing money(almost 12 percent)—the third worst rate in the country.

Our students deserve better. They deserve the resources to help make them successful. They deserve professionally paid educators. They deserve safe schools and schools that are not crumbling and in disrepair. We love our public schools and we demand better!

On May 16, we march for students, we rally for respect, and we advocate for public schools. As you know, we recognize #Red4Ed on Wednesdays. Let’s have a sea of #Red4Ed on Jones Street on May 16."

Can you deny that public education is not under attack and underfunded?

Can you deny that the teachers union – and all unions – are not under attack?

Underfunded? Hardly.
For NC, the education portion of the total state budget is close to 40%, Over 9 billion dollars for public education for this year. The add federal spending to the mix.
From the John Locke Foundation report June 2017 about NC:

Different issue completely.
Unions have never done anything positive for me in 50 years of work life.

And to add to my own post, one must compare costs of living in various states in addition to straight dollars of expenditure.

Also, it’s not a linear relationship of spending to quality of education either:

Some State comparisons:
Lowest expenditure - Utah: $6,575 per pupil, NAEP ranking Math 15, and Reading 9.
Highest expenditure - New York: $21,206 per pupil, NAEP ranking Math 33, and Reading 33.

North Carolina: $8,687 per pupil, NAEP ranking Math 30, and Reading 39.
Colorado: $9,245 per pupil, NAEP ranking Math 16, and Reading 17.
California: $10,467 per pupil, NAEP ranking Math 41, and Reading 44.

Fight –

Ok – so you’re on the record now – on a good number of issues –

You will deny that public education is under attack and underfunded –

And you will deny that all unions are under attack –

and you make clear that you don’t support unions.

Thanks.