Home | About | Donate

Largest US Oil Worker Strike In Over Three Decades Continues to Spread

U.S. oil workers will lose this battle as their employers have too much power in Congress to allow fair treatment of their employees. Unless they can elect people who are not beholden to special interest groups,we can only expect conditions for all workers to get worse over time. Big Oil especially despises democracy and the 99% and will do whatever it takes to stick it to the little guy. Expect corporate media to demonize the workers involved, twist public opinion to direct the blame at the employees for making "unreasonable demands" and resort to State violence if any of the oil production is disturbed. Obama, Big Oil's favourite man in Washington, will side with his corporate master's wishes as the country takes yet another step towards a return to pre-civil war, unregulated capitalism.

Space Cadet,

Please take you negativity somewhere else.

The lack of comments to this article and all articles about labor actions in Commondreams, tells me all I need to know about the class interests of the Commondreams readership.

Hello Yunzer...
You wrote... "The lack of comments to this article and all articles about labor actions in Commondreams, tells me all I need to know about the class interests of the Commondreams readership." I'm not sure what you're implying here. What are the class interests of the commondreams readership? Please enlighten me.

Comfortable liberal-bourgeois class interests who treat workers struggle as just an armchair-and-keyboard spectator sport at best, and mostly care not a whit about it. I refer you to the classic Phil Och's song about bourgeois liberals

And no, I'm not referring to you (you are the only other person who commented here after all) although your comment was a bit off the topic and contained the sort of negativity that I suspect CD's reorganization of the comment section was intended to reduce.

Hello from me too Yunzer,

First of all, speak common English. It is obvious that you are not in touch with the "common" worker at all. According to this article, the strike is picking up momentum and is "full steam ahead". Well, guess what, it isn't. I am one of those directly involved plant workers that isn't seeing hardly any support for the "Cause". The plants are operating normally. The Strikers at Marathon, one of the largest plants in the United States, in Texas City, TX, doesn't seem to be able to put more than 16 people on the strike line (approx. 14 city blocks, real intimidating), while all the Contractors that are working in there, are still working in there, making money!! So when you talk about those "Comfortable liberal-bourgeois class interests", look in the mirror cuz son, it sounds to me like your one of those non-participating people shouting your support from your laptop, while sitting in a chair, during a commercial break, on the TV. Just saying......