Home | About | Donate

'Last Decade to Save the Planet': Group Puts Forth 50 Bold Climate Actions for Biden

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/03/last-decade-save-planet-group-puts-forth-50-bold-climate-actions-biden

“Biden” and “bold” in the same sentence?

6 Likes

The path being laid out here is so obvious and fundamental that the question really becomes why does Biden even have to be told this to begin with? The unfortunate answer is of course that they’re capitalists! And capitalists just don’t get it because their objective in life in the end is making money and retaining power.

2 Likes

Hi F_DN:
sigh—it does seem obvious to cut pesticides and give the EPA real power after Trump leaves. I read about the West Coast coho salmon dying in huge numbers—it appears that car tires and something in them called 6PPD breaks down through use and ends up entering rivers and streams —killing huge numbers of salmon. Everything including plastics has to be reviewed, as the world is drowning in plastics, and apparently we have lots of plastics in each of us.
I would like a reporter to ask Biden what kind of world he wants to leave behind for his own grandkids.

4 Likes

Name one person Biden has named to fill a position who is going to go after large, fossil fuel companies? John Kerry? Janet Yellen? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Name one concession Biden has made to Bernie Sanders or Our Revolution? Biden might as well have Neera Tanden walk up to Bernie and kick him in the nuts. The only change will come from social disobedience and street action. Joebama isn’t going to do squat to save the planet.

4 Likes

There’s no way Ol’ Sleepyhead Joe will enact anywhere near the measures that will even make a dint in either toxins, industrial processes, GHG’s, or any number of actions to save Earth from human industrial, capitalist, civilization’s activity before a collapse, ecologically or economically. It’s like trying to stop a runaway locomotive with a VW Bug pushing against it. The gang of goons stocking the Biden administration may be women and other minorities, but they are still neo-liberals through and through. I’m saying that 2020 will look like a Sunday picnic before the decade ends. My outlook is glum indeed.

2 Likes

Something etched into my memory is Orin Hatch at the podium speaking.
He bold faced just blurted out that anyone getting any assistance is unworthy.
Kind of sets the tone for my lack of respect for this bunch of financial winners, but moral losers.

1 Like

The only thing one needs to know about the hatchet man is that he was one of the very first of the old republicans to switch over lock, stock, and barrel to the koch brothers tea party ideology of winner takes all corporate capitalism. Oh, but I’m certain he attended church on Sundays.

1 Like

I hope we changed the recipe for car tires to something much less toxic to fish. If I am not mistaken, baby salmon swim downstream to spend most of their lives in the ocean. Then at breeding age they get an urge to swim upstream to someplace near where they hatched as baby salmon.

1 Like

Hi Grace_Adams:
I hope so too, but I don’t think that the tire makers care. : (
If something is not impacting their bottom line—then a problem could not possibly exist for many corporations. : (

1 Like

Also, federal government ought to check for toxicity of all products and ingredients for all animals including humans. I believe FDA already checks food for humans for toxicity to humans.

Hi Grace_Adams:
Read up on Round UP and weep. : (

1 Like

We will just have to cross our fingers and pay attention. He will definitely do better than the current “president”.

That’s an incredibly low bar.
Even a dangerously low bar

1 Like

RoundUp is a weed killer that is too strong to be used safely anywhere near either humans or most animals you would rather not kill.

Hi Grace_Adams:
Yes, you read and you wept. Remember too , that farm workers deal with this stuff too. : (

Indeed it is. I believe that progressives will have to goad Biden to use his inherent desire for a healthy and secure general population.