Home | About | Donate

Latest to Join Nationwide Uprising, Oakland Teachers Strike to Defend Public Education

Latest to Join Nationwide Uprising, Oakland Teachers Strike to Defend Public Education

Julia Conley, staff writer

Nearly 3,000 teachers and other school staffers in Oakland, California are joining the nationwide wave of #RedForEd strikes on Thursday, demanding greater investment in the district's public schools, students, and teachers—instead of a continuation of the recent unregulated growth of charter schools in the area.

1 Like

‘In California a charter school law from 25 years ago has been used by billionaires to make a charter school industry. Charters show a lack of transparency.’

1 Like

Maybe it’s time for Wisconsin teachers to strike, and at least get back what Walking sneakily took away.

Good to see unions going on strike again. Or maybe they’re just being reported again. Seems to me there was a number of years you didnt hear about any.

Im listening. My kids went to voluntary special topic schools in St. Louis before charter schools took off. They were set up to satisfy integration requirements without forced bussing. The one who spend two early years at a foreign language school now speaks ten languages. The one who spent two years at a performing arts school started his own band in college.
I think the big issue with charter is that some of the schools have stripped everything of value out of them to reduce cost. I have seen some sharing a public library, some running on the city sidewalks for gym.
I tend to trust teachers …

1 Like

Yes, Eli Broad has more or less bought his way into the Oakland School System. They want administrators hired who have been patrons and graduates of the Broad Academy. They are all charter school robots. The Public School system in Oakland has been virtually ruined by them. Why we ever let them into Oakland is questionable but the state (and politics with its love of money) has a role in this. It is all about politics and seems like the students, teachers and public have been set up to lose. The last Broad adminstrator hired outside consultants lavishly on a very limited budget and through his efforts the school district was plunged back into financial crisis. He left Oakland and was brought on in DC where apparently they have caught onto his ways more quickly and there he was removed on a ethics scandal.

1 Like

Publicly funded schools MUST be non-profit!!

Anyone remember way back when, when California was the American and world most envied education system? Then California elected a typical non education priority Republican, Reagan, who created massive State debt forcing reduced education funding and since California has been in a decades long slide into education mediocrity. Incompetent Trump’s election has once again proven an under educated naive, and gullible electorate does produce more Republicans but also increases America’s national mediocrity. World class educators producing world class education is the number one national security and continued world leading power priority to prevent making this disastrous Presidential mistake again.