Home | About | Donate

'Lawless' and 'Despicable': Harvard Freshman Deported After Immigration Agents Search Social Media and Find Friends Critical of US Policy

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/27/lawless-and-despicable-harvard-freshman-deported-after-immigration-agents-search

2 Likes

Well, one can only hope that Harvard will use its influence – and regret that so few victims of U.S. actions have a Harvard to back them up.

2 Likes

This is FASCISM. PURE FASCISM.

13 Likes

This is disgusting and horrible. I hope this young man will pursue his education in a civilized country.

15 Likes

" Immigration agents search social media and find friends critical of US policy".

This is what fascism looks like! How long before the fascists change their lawless and despicable narrative from immigrants to progressives?

13 Likes

It is all about being Palestinian. In his brief stay, he got a glimpse of whan an evil country we havw become.

9 Likes

First they came for the Muslims. Since I am not Muslim, I did nothing. Then they came for desperate migrants from south of the US who were poor and non-white. Since my home is secure and I’m white, I did nothing. Then they came for what remained of the free press. I did nothing since I don’t read a newspaper anyway. Then…then they came for me…

7 Likes

anyone care to bet his semitic heritage was part of the consideration that lead to his being persecuted for the beliefs of his friends?

9 Likes

already happening, along with escalations in how poorly they treat immigrants.

it’s important to remember that the holocaust began as an immigration crises.

6 Likes

President Trump truly is the chosen one. He shall make a great King both of Greenland and of Israel. My two daughters are both beautiful and friendly.

Not taking any chances here.

5 Likes

True, it is not a stretch to say that Amerika in 2019 is not much different than Nazi Germany was in the 1930’s.

4 Likes

…then the fascists came for the Progressives.

3 Likes

During the Italian fascism, students of occupied countries were seduced with scholarships to Italian Universities, as long as they wore the black shirts i.e. adhered to the ideology of the fascists.

This case is extremely strange on several aspects. He received a visa from the US embassy where he lives, and it was vetted by them, why on earth does a border agent have more power than the US embassy? Imagine being 17 years old in a country all the way across the world and being treated like this.

18 Likes

Please keep in mind this is a quite deliberate campaign of fascist habituation, getting accustomed to how you get by in a “papers please” state. That’s who we are, now.

I’d expect all the prezcans, including Sanders, to not touch this one with a ten foot pole. That nasty word “Palestinian” has been such a boon to encroaching fascism. First they came for the Palestinians.

7 Likes

Small aside here: when you’re put back on a plane you are paying for it, and at the outrageous ticket prices airlines charge for last minute bookings. When Alternative Radio’s David Barsamian was denied entering India a few years ago for his previous critical reporting on Kashmir that one way ticket back cost $6500. Adding injury to insult.

9 Likes

Jesus Christ! That sounds like exact text of the registration form. You’re scaring the shit out of me.

Don’t we remember the grade school daily pledge. The “Pledge of Allegiance?”
“I pledge allegiance too the flag no matter fucking what my government says.” I am the countries slave and bitch.
Draft me, racially profile me, and screw me out of my livelihood. After all, that’s being an American.
I guess if we can’t sign on to that shit we are not wanted.

5 Likes

Took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to say it will be us next!!!

1 Like

Do I hear a knock on MY door ?? …

2 Likes

You raise a key point about that pledge. Thank you.

My hunch was that it couldn’t go back all that far in USAmerican history, because your earlier settlers were not the kind of folks you could coerce into some damn pledge. They were a bunch of irrascible sons of bitches. You couldn’t tell 'em anything. Wiki backs up my hunch, it’s fairly recent:

It was originally composed by Captain George Thatcher Balch, a Union Army Officer during the Civil War and later a teacher of patriotism in New York City schools. The form of the pledge used today was largely devised by Francis Bellamy in 1892, and formally adopted by Congress as the pledge in 1942. The official name of The Pledge of Allegiance was adopted in 1945. The most recent alteration of its wording came on Flag Day in 1954, when the words “under God” were added.

4 Likes