Home | About | Donate

Lawmakers Introduce Legislation to "Put a Stake in the Heart" of NSA's Domestic Phone Spying

Lawmakers Introduce Legislation to "Put a Stake in the Heart" of NSA's Domestic Phone Spying

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

In a move welcomed by civil liberties advocates, a bipartisan group of lawmakers introduced legislation to end once and for all the National Security Agency's authority for mass surveillance of Americans' phone records.

"It's a welcome and necessary first-step in a longer fight to dismantle the U.S. government's sprawling surveillance state," said Fight for the Future campaigner Laila Abdelaziz.

Congress should pass this legislation without delay. If not, then I ask, just what people do they think they represent? This should also be just step one in proving the security apparatuses are not a paranoid, antisocial obstruction to democracy.

2 Likes

Next, eliminate the TSA. That’s going to be harder. It means putting their brownshirts out of work. But with all the technology to detect contraband, they’ll be out of a job anyway. I just hope they don’t come up with a robot to search my junk.

1 Like

OK, good legislation intent, but a few points on this subject. The NSA is not the only agency doing this, what about the others? All of the agencies have lied about this subject to the citizens and congress (ex-AT&T employees have told us this program started at least by 1998, not 2001 like we were told), why should we believe them now? Will there be inspectors to ensure the agencies have complied with the law? NSA has been passing information on to other agencies (think DEA and FBI), when these agencies use this information in court against citizens they go to great lengths to make sure the defense teams and the courts don’t find out where the prosecutors got their info. from, is this going to stop? There are many other devices used to spy on the American people, will this law apply to all methods of spying? Without these issues being addressed, this legislation wont even come close to the “Put a Stake in the Heart” of NSA’s domestic spying, this article claims.

To those of you who believe of the alphabets are telling the truth, or thinks this legislation will work without severe jail terms for breaking it, I’ve got some waterfront property in AZ I want to sell you.

1 Like

Yes, there are 17 such agencies in all. Talk about overkill! And we have Obama to thank for, by one of his final executive orders, giving the NSA permission to share what they collect, by virtue of Bush, et. al., and the “Patriot Act”, with the other 16. A loophole was even included to bypass protections for Americans which allows for the notification of the DOJ if any so-called evidence of a crime should happen to be detected within the information gathered in this way. All of this as a result of the so-called “war on terrorism”.

1 Like

NSA and CIA should be put in garbage can with rest of fascist intelligence.
FISA was already a violation of Constitution –
See: SNOWDEN – most of the spying is on Americans.
Your government doesn’t trust you!

1 Like