Home | About | Donate

Laying Groundwork for 2020 Run, Sanders 2016 Staffers Launch 'Draft Bernie' Campaign

Laying Groundwork for 2020 Run, Sanders 2016 Staffers Launch 'Draft Bernie' Campaign

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Beginning to develop the organizational muscle for Sen.

Uh, staffers organizing a “draft Bernie campaign” sounds a lot like a campaign.

What It Means That Hillary Clinton Might Run for President in 2020

If anything, from my perspective, Bernie showed me in 2016 that we have an unjust, and corrupt democracy!

Unless Hillary Clinton runs again, which I believe is highly unlikely, there will be no clear favorite this time around as there was in 2008 and 2012, when Clinton started out as the clear favorite. If Sanders runs he might have to share the progressive vote with others like Elizabeth Warren and those who have positioned themselves as progressives by backing Medicare for All. Age is obviously a big problem for Sanders if he runs, and many of his supporters from 2016 will not forgive him for supporting Hillary Clinton. This should be the most wide open Democratic primary in awhile. Will another Howard Dean emerge out of nowhere? This is not 2016 with only five candidates including two with virtually no chance. It should get pretty interesting later next year when a number of candidates have declared and are off and running.

It’s too early to say only 5 candidates and Warren’s record cancels her out as a liberal and as anti-war. How about a few years back when she gave Trump MORE money than he was asking for the war budget.

We need to get non corporate candidates and I no longer trust Democrats. They after all kept telling us Bernie couldn’t win - when he absolutely could have and it was Hillary that couldn’t win. As for now, I will be voting Stein or who ever the Greens throw forward. I don’t trust the “new” Democrats because they are Democrats. And I stopped being a Democrat the day Bernie conceded.

This should be interesting as both Hillary and Biden (he said there is no one more qualified than he) may just be running.

Can’t see Bernie getting the nomination in 2020, for many of the same reasons he didn’t get the nomination in 2016. He’s no more popular, now, with the Democratic party establishment than he was in 2016. The centrists that control the party view him as a threat as much as ever. As we’ve seen, before, they’ll do whatever it takes to deny him the nomination. Even if he went on to win the presidency, that same party power structure, a la Pelosi and Schumer, would make it very difficult for him to enact needed change. Given a choice between a winner and a loser that can bring in a pile of money, the party will pick the loser, every time.

How about the voters? They vote, right? If Bernie gets more voters behind him, he’ll get the nomination. If he doesn’t and someone else does, then they will get the nomination.

You make a valid point about potential, self identified, progressive candidates flooding the stage. Who needs a third party to confuse the voters when you have twenty factions of the one you planned on voting for in the first place?

These things sort themselves out, someone has to win, right?

I don’t think “voters” have much to do with the nominating process.
The Repub machine killed Ron Paul’s nomination in 2012 when he had the most delegates and the Dims co-opted Bernie in 2016.

The Democratic machine would rather have a corporate Republican as president just like the corporate Republicans would rather have a Democrat as president than someone who might disrupt the gravy train.

Voters still vote, including in states that aren’t controlled by Democrats. Of course, Sanders did well in those places where the party runs the process too—caucuses. He didn’t do as well in primary states where, generally speaking, more people can participate and states, Republican or Democrat or a mix of both, run the process. If he flips that, he’ll win.

Which would be the Democratic National Party committing hari kari.