Home | About | Donate

Leading Civil Rights Lawyer Shows 20 Ways Trump Is Copying Hitler’s Early Rhetoric and Policies

I’m glad to see this discussion as I’m Canadian and the disease has spread to our provinces. Indeed, the Trump vision—I don’t know what to call it—has given license to too many, in loose terms, public servants, all over the world. As well, we have a federal election in a couple of months and the right-wing is getting ready, in spades.

But, I don’t understand. What’s the purpose and the intention of today’s right-wing politicians? Why do they seek power and what do they intend to do with it?

Fear is the entire rhetoric of populists or whatever, to bring supporters, the most vulnerable and the most desperate to heel as neoliberalism has taken all their hopes and dreams, and worse, their kids’, to bleed them for the 1%, taking them and the country back to the Middle Ages and serfdom. What will Trump, et al, have when everything is consumed and his legacy is an impoverished nation?

To deny climate change, (no one is that stupid), to stand by and watch, even encourage young American men and boys kill each other, to foster isolationism, bigotry and ignorance, invade constituent’s homes with surveillance and kill the golden goose, the masses, the source of his great wealth, unpaid and short-paid workers. Anand Giridharadas quotes Michael Porter in ‘Winners Take All.’ “We sort of created a cartoon…if you can force your employee to work overtime without paying them, then you should do it—that’s free markets(sic), and that’s profit maximization.” It’s also fascism, which T. Douglas said: destroys political democracy “in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege."

So many millions have been sapped of a decent life and have so little left they are turning to the far right in their hopelessness and a creature like Trump calls it a love affair.

My question is a serious one and I’m open to all ideas. I need to fight this aberration and I can’t unless I understand it.

3 Likes

Deep seated envy is one aspect. That one they fight by going after what ever government relief they can get. Be it loop holes or just plain elimination of paying taxes.
Fear of “the other” is another.
Commodity control and price controls that facilitate capitalistic economic manipulation.
Just my opinion. No links or hard facts, but they abound if you look for them.

And the same can be said for Bojo the bozo, who is another brown-noser of the trump thing. This fascist needs to be taken out as soon as possible and I just hope that he is kicked out at the next presidential election as he is a threat to both democracy and to world peace.

1 Like

Alan, just read your post, and the link to article written by Michelle Goldberg, whose writing and opinions I do admire. I, too, think she really was spot on in her piece. Strangely enough, I have friends who do support trump, how rabidly i’m not sure, family also. Wishing it weren’t so, but, like “they” say, " Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up". Really did like your post though!

1 Like

It is time to start putting on performances of Eugène Ionesco’s play “Rhinoceros”…

Janet,

As a fairly frequent visitor with emigre family in Canada (who came to Canada due to revulsion with Bush’s war and Canada’s respect for same-sex marriage), I have ben following the developments in Canada and the upcoming federal elction - from the Fordists and the Jordan Petersonists in Ontario to the neofacist “Yellow Vests” in AB and SK, with considerable anxiety. This is likely to be the most important election Canada ever had. Somehow you need to keep the split vote of Liberals, NDP and Greens from sweeping in the neofascists. I know, Wynne tried that in Ontario - imploring the left voters to NOT vote for her party but vote for the NDP instead - but it was too little, too late.

As far as fighting it at the person-to-person level, one thing that does not work is thinking that you can engage in an intellectual debate and convincingly disporve fascist ideas and conspiracy theories, becasue fascists and global heating denialists do not debate in good faith - and most of their whacked “ideas” are non-disprovable assertions of the Russel’s Orbiting Teapot variety anyway. They will make a little retreat, making you think that they realized the errors of their logic, but then come back the next day spouting exactly the same nationalist, racist, global heating-denialist nonsense without acknowleging you ever debated them. Get on the Yellow Vests’ Facebook page to see how it works…

The only way to defeat them is to (nonviolently, but forcefully) deplatform them both rhetorically and electorally - with an understand that their repeated cries of “Free speech!” are in utter bad faith and totally bogus - becasue history teaches again ahd again, that once they gain power - they will throw all their claims of “respect for free speech” out the window.

This is also no time for left-perfectionism and absolutely the time for strategic voting and forming alliances with people that we can resume fighting once the election is over. Yes, Trudeau is pathetic, but Sheer and his fanatics - who is playing coy with how hard-right they really are, must be stopped.

It is centrist liberals who seem to have the hardest time with the first two concepts above - when they say that Antifa and the fascist are the same it especially makes me want to scream.

TRUE!

Maybe now is not the time for gun control.

Every Communist must grasp the truth, ‘Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.’

– Mao Tse-tung, 1938

Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of the citizens to keep and bear arms. […] the right of the citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government and one more safeguard against a tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible.

– Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don’t have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

– Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

You know why there’s a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one.

– Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity 17 Aug 1993

https://theliberalgunclub.com

Someone needs to get creative with drumpf’s lame speeches …

The Eggs/Balls Of Satan

Half a cup of powdered sugar
One quarter teaspoon salt
One knife tip Turkish hash
Half a pound butter
One teaspoon vanilla-sugar
Half a pound flour
150 g ground nuts
A little extra powdered sugar
… and no eggs

Place in a bowl
Add butter