Home | About | Donate

Leading Civil Rights Lawyer Shows 20 Ways Trump Is Copying Hitler’s Early Rhetoric and Policies

I’m glad to see this discussion as I’m Canadian and the disease has spread to our provinces. Indeed, the Trump vision—I don’t know what to call it—has given license to too many, in loose terms, public servants, all over the world. As well, we have a federal election in a couple of months and the right-wing is getting ready, in spades.

But, I don’t understand. What’s the purpose and the intention of today’s right-wing politicians? Why do they seek power and what do they intend to do with it?

Fear is the entire rhetoric of populists or whatever, to bring supporters, the most vulnerable and the most desperate to heel as neoliberalism has taken all their hopes and dreams, and worse, their kids’, to bleed them for the 1%, taking them and the country back to the Middle Ages and serfdom. What will Trump, et al, have when everything is consumed and his legacy is an impoverished nation?

To deny climate change, (no one is that stupid), to stand by and watch, even encourage young American men and boys kill each other, to foster isolationism, bigotry and ignorance, invade constituent’s homes with surveillance and kill the golden goose, the masses, the source of his great wealth, unpaid and short-paid workers. Anand Giridharadas quotes Michael Porter in ‘Winners Take All.’ “We sort of created a cartoon…if you can force your employee to work overtime without paying them, then you should do it—that’s free markets(sic), and that’s profit maximization.” It’s also fascism, which T. Douglas said: destroys political democracy “in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege."

So many millions have been sapped of a decent life and have so little left they are turning to the far right in their hopelessness and a creature like Trump calls it a love affair.

My question is a serious one and I’m open to all ideas. I need to fight this aberration and I can’t unless I understand it.

4 Likes

Deep seated envy is one aspect. That one they fight by going after what ever government relief they can get. Be it loop holes or just plain elimination of paying taxes.
Fear of “the other” is another.
Commodity control and price controls that facilitate capitalistic economic manipulation.
Just my opinion. No links or hard facts, but they abound if you look for them.

And the same can be said for Bojo the bozo, who is another brown-noser of the trump thing. This fascist needs to be taken out as soon as possible and I just hope that he is kicked out at the next presidential election as he is a threat to both democracy and to world peace.

1 Like

Alan, just read your post, and the link to article written by Michelle Goldberg, whose writing and opinions I do admire. I, too, think she really was spot on in her piece. Strangely enough, I have friends who do support trump, how rabidly i’m not sure, family also. Wishing it weren’t so, but, like “they” say, " Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up". Really did like your post though!

1 Like

It is time to start putting on performances of Eugène Ionesco’s play “Rhinoceros”…

1 Like

Janet,

As a fairly frequent visitor with emigre family in Canada (who came to Canada due to revulsion with Bush’s war and Canada’s respect for same-sex marriage), I have ben following the developments in Canada and the upcoming federal elction - from the Fordists and the Jordan Petersonists in Ontario to the neofacist “Yellow Vests” in AB and SK, with considerable anxiety. This is likely to be the most important election Canada ever had. Somehow you need to keep the split vote of Liberals, NDP and Greens from sweeping in the neofascists. I know, Wynne tried that in Ontario - imploring the left voters to NOT vote for her party but vote for the NDP instead - but it was too little, too late.

As far as fighting it at the person-to-person level, one thing that does not work is thinking that you can engage in an intellectual debate and convincingly disporve fascist ideas and conspiracy theories, becasue fascists and global heating denialists do not debate in good faith - and most of their whacked “ideas” are non-disprovable assertions of the Russel’s Orbiting Teapot variety anyway. They will make a little retreat, making you think that they realized the errors of their logic, but then come back the next day spouting exactly the same nationalist, racist, global heating-denialist nonsense without acknowleging you ever debated them. Get on the Yellow Vests’ Facebook page to see how it works…

The only way to defeat them is to (nonviolently, but forcefully) deplatform them both rhetorically and electorally - with an understand that their repeated cries of “Free speech!” are in utter bad faith and totally bogus - becasue history teaches again ahd again, that once they gain power - they will throw all their claims of “respect for free speech” out the window.

This is also no time for left-perfectionism and absolutely the time for strategic voting and forming alliances with people that we can resume fighting once the election is over. Yes, Trudeau is pathetic, but Sheer and his fanatics - who is playing coy with how hard-right they really are, must be stopped.

It is centrist liberals who seem to have the hardest time with the first two concepts above - when they say that Antifa and the fascist are the same it especially makes me want to scream.

1 Like

TRUE!

1 Like

Maybe now is not the time for gun control.

Every Communist must grasp the truth, ‘Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.’

– Mao Tse-tung, 1938

Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of the citizens to keep and bear arms. […] the right of the citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government and one more safeguard against a tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible.

– Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don’t have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

– Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

You know why there’s a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one.

– Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity 17 Aug 1993

https://theliberalgunclub.com

Someone needs to get creative with drumpf’s lame speeches …

The Eggs/Balls Of Satan

Half a cup of powdered sugar
One quarter teaspoon salt
One knife tip Turkish hash
Half a pound butter
One teaspoon vanilla-sugar
Half a pound flour
150 g ground nuts
A little extra powdered sugar
… and no eggs

Place in a bowl
Add butter
Add the ground nuts and
Knead the dough

Form eyeball-size pieces from the dough
Roll in the powdered sugar
and say the Magic Words:
“Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim”

Place on a greased baking pan and
Bake at 200 degrees for 15 minutes
…AND NO EGGS

Bake at 200 degrees for 15 minutes
…and no eggs

This scene in Schindler’s List always reminds me of our Presidents Rhetoric and Policies: JEWISH WOMAN: “They come into our house and tell us we don’t live there anymore. It now belongs to a certain SS Officer.”

CLERK: “Please, I only know what they tell me, and what they tell me CHANGES from DAY to DAY” (Very Trumpish).

JEWISH WOMAN: “Aren’t you supposed to be able to help? I mean, what if I just took this thing off, what are they going to do about it?”

CLERK: “They will shoot you.”

You put my thoughts in writing.
I have to distance myself because as a senior citizen, the stress affects my health. I run a private FB page in our community in SW Florida…all I can say, although we live in a very conservative community, we have an active resistance here in Lee Co. We are next door to Sanibel. A bit of little known trivia…there are more registered Dems in FL than Republicans. (I hope in my lifetime that I see FL and TX, now purple, turn blue. )

We do have well raised kids who have well raised spouses…progressives all. It gives me a bit of hope.

Two things…thanks for coming on board here, welcome.

Thank you for your kind words. Being a progressive is a mixed bag isn’t it? How do you fight off all the hate without being just as ugly? Very carefully, as you well know :)))

Are you kidding me with this garbage?? Trump won the electoral vote which is needed to win the election therefore he is like Hitler, Trump uses Twitter therefore he is like Hitler. Trump has never criticized someones race therefore he is like Hitler, Trump enforces immigration laws like he is required to do therefore he is like Hitler. Trump supports law enforcement and the military, therefore he is like Hitler. F off you freakin wacko. And BTW, I can’t say I ever recall Trump using Holocaust victims to make himself $4 million. To me that is a HELL of a lot more like Hitler you dick.

“In 1998 Neuborne won a $1.25 billion settlement for Jewish Holocaust survivors in a lawsuit against Swiss banks who helped the [Nazis]steal money from Jewish victims. After undertaking the initial litigation [pro bono] Neuborne gave notice that he intended to be paid for his work on the settlement. He applied for $4.1 million in fees for “8,000 hours over the past seven years” of work he did in the settlement against the banks. Some Holocaust survivor organizations in the United States filed an objection to Neuborne’s claim. The editorial board of *[The New York Times]admonished Neuborne, stating, “The dollar amounts are troubling and so are the slipshod hourly records that Mr. Neuborne submitted,” and criticizing his $700 hourly rate as “unseemly” and more suited to corporate clients.”

Donald Trump, His Administration, And His followers Are Going To Continue Hurting People

As a boy, I discovered the holocaust by accident. I was at a library and, like many boys, I was drawn to the books about war. The books with photos were of particular interest and while thumbing through one about World War II, I stumbled on a photo of a pile of bodies at a German concentration camp. I was stunned. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. And when I read the caption, I could not believe what I read - I could not believe that human beings could do such horrible things to other human beings.

Now that I’m an adult, I’ve come to know that though the Holocaust was uniquely horrendous, in both its planning and in its application, it was far from unique in being an example of what human beings are capable of doing to each other.

Human beings have the capacity to be the most brutal of animals. All throughout history and around the world today, one can point to events that confirm this fact. But human beings also have the capacity for great empathy and compassion. And two of the primary things that separate the brutal beast in us from our capacity for empathy and compassion are the conditions within which we live and the social contracts and structures that monitor and manage those conditions.

When our social contracts and structures are based on empathy, compassion, and concern for the general welfare of the people and the environments within which they live, the beast in people is calmed and the best in people is allowed to come forth and thrive. But when those contracts and structures are corrupted, compromised, and unstable, and division, fear, suspicion, and mistrust are allowed to grow, the brutal beast in people begins to come forth, and the potential for a holocaust is increased.

Leadership is a key factor in whether the beast or the best is made manifest in the social relations of the human animal. When leaders exhibit wisdom, intelligence, and effectiveness, and project a calming, reassuring, and unifying aura, the beast in people remains dormant and the best in people is allowed to awaken to meet life’s challenges and flourish. But when leaders behave foolishly, lack intelligence, are mendacious, and project a disturbing, doubtful, and divisive aura, the best in people is discarded and the beast begins to awaken. When this happens, meanness, cruelty, and violence start to increase, and the potential for some form of holocaust becomes more evident.

In properly functioning democracies, the optimum conditions for bringing out the best in people ideally exist. But, by their very nature, democracies are also vulnerable to conditions that can lead to the worst in people being drawn out. The very fact that in a democracy people are allowed to pick their leaders, leaves a democracy open to the people voting for leaders who ultimately may not act in their best interests, or the best interests of the majority of the people, or even in the best interests of democracy itself. This can lead to the potential dissolution of democracy and its replacement by some form of totalitarianism, with the potential for perpetrating some form of a holocaust.

We are now living in a time where the negative conditions of which I write appear to be upon us. And those conditions have allowed an angry minority of the American electorate to place in the White House an apparent demagogue and narcissist, who is foolish, unintelligent, and mendacious and projects a disturbing, doubtful and divisive aura. And what is worse, and most disturbing, is that this man, and the people he is hiring to work with and for him, are now beginning to do things that hurt people.

Donald Trump, and an administration that includes sycophants, neo-fascists, and crooks, all of whom represent the worst human impulses, are committed to actions, starting with the attempted Muslim ban and then with the ICE roundup of undocumented immigrants, that are hurting people. While Trump befuddles politicians, the news media, and the rest of us, with his ridiculous, unstable and mind-numbing executive actions, statements, and tweets, real people are being hurt by real actions. And these actions appear to be coming right out of Mein Kampf, the personal diatribe and playbook left behind by Adolph Hitler, which Donald Trump is said to have read.

The promotion of German nationalism and racial purity, the destruction of liberal democracy and communism, and the bringing of a new order to the world were all priorities of Hitler and the Nazis. And the German People, after the humiliating loss of World War I and the suffering brought on by both the war and the depression, had no faith in the fledgling, ineffective Weimar Republic and no unity with each other. Hitler offered them greatness, unity, and a new world, and they either voluntarily or involuntarily accepted it.

When the Nazis came to power, some folks liked what they were doing, some folks laughed and scoffed at them, some folks went along to get along, and some folks just kept their heads down. And little by little, Hitler and the Nazi Party enacted their mad agenda until it was too late to do anything and a second world war, that killed many millions, through combat, starvation, disease, and murder, was foisted upon the entire world, all in the name of making Germany great again.

When Hitler came to power, he made the German people an offer that they ultimately could not refuse, and he used lies, laws, brutality, and murder to cinch the deal. Donald Trump and his cronies are using lies, laws, the likes of ICE, and, if there was even tacit approval of the Khashoggi fiasco, complicity with murder to move their agenda forward.

Hitler got control of the press. So far the American news media have resisted Trump, but one wonders how long it will be before the press rolls over for him. Hitler convinced the politicians and capitalists to join him. Most Republican politicians have already joined Trump, and though, so far, Democrats are resisting him, one wonders how long before a weak Democratic Party rolls over for him as well. Many crooked capitalists have not only joined him but they are already in his cabinet.

And what about the bulk of the American People? How long before they stop protesting and some start to join those who put Trump in the White House? How long before confusion or fear gets the better of the rest of us and we all roll over just to survive?

Those of us who recognize what is happening must remain united and strong, and we must continue to resist the administration and agenda of Donald Trump. We must never tire and never give up or give in. We must work all day, every day, and in every way, to stop him from hurting people. Whether it’s resisting a Muslim ban, or ICE, or the destruction of Obamacare, or the building of a wall, or the pollution of our environment, or an attack on LGBTQ people, or an attack on a woman’s right to choose, or an attack on people of color, or an attack on Native American rights, or an attack on entitlement programs, we must fight every step of the way - and we must never lose heart or faith in each other, because each other is all we‘ve got.

Mark my words, if we do not nip the insanity of Donald Trump in the bud before it grows any further, we will all regret that we did not act sooner and more decisively, both to save our democracy and ourselves.

This is not a drill. This is not a false alarm. Donald Trump, his administration, and his followers are going to continue hurting people.

JRB

My only complaint is a technical one:
“the Nazi Party gave out radios with only one channel, tuned to Hitler’s voice”. That is not true. The Nazis made available very cheap radios, named “Volksempfänger” - “People’s receiver”, but those were tunable. In fact, many Germans used to listen to BBC under the blankets, so the neighbors wouldn’t find out. If they were caught, they were “disappeared” into a concentration camp. But they still did it. Here’s a story i came across on the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/history/story/2007/02/070122_html_40s.shtml):
The BBC’s policy of honesty in its reporting and openly admitting defeats was in marked contrast to the propaganda of Germany’s radio stations.

But as the war began to turn in favour of the Allies, this paid off. More and more Germans tuned to the BBC to hear accurate news, in spite of harsh penalties and jamming of the frequencies.

One of the Service’s programmes would feature the names of German prisoners of war; and from 1943, a quarter of an hour each night was spent relaying messages recorded by PoWs to their families.

On one occasion a family in Germany arranged a Requiem Mass for a soldier believed to have been killed.

When they heard over the BBC that he was alive, their first thought was to cancel it – until they realised this would let the authorities know they had been listening to illegal broadcasts.

The family went ahead with the service – but when they got to the church, nobody was there – because others had heard the broadcast too.

Trump began studying the early speeches of Adolph Hitler in the 1980s. It was documented in Vanity Fair as the only book in his bedtime nightstand in a photo shoot. Trump is not smart enough to mimic Hitler without copying him, and the behavior is indeed startling. BTW, $4.1 million in attorney’s fees for a case that recovered over a BILLION is not unreasonable. Just sounds like sour grapes to me. And 10 million more voters voted against Trump than for him. How’s that in any way democratic?

Flawed article for a number of reasons given many arguments are easily attributed to the Democrats;

Bernie uses his twitter vehmently the same to attack and rally up his supporters with extreme economic measures that are more associsted with Hitler’s nationalisation program vs Trump’s pro eco-liberal stance.

The comparison of the EC results is also flawed as it is no doubt one sided on the basis that if Clinton had achieved those results, no doubt Democrats overall would be justfying the election and telling disgruntled republicans to accept the USA’s vote.

Furthermore the article is flawed on the basis that Hitler was beyond doubt a hater of Jews even in those early years vs Trump’s position on Israel and defending Jewish citizens that are becoming further sidelined by democrats who wish to impose hatred on Israel (omar for example). How many socialists wear marxist symbols alongside images of Chai (a known socialist dictator notably killing homosexuals) - more like Hitler.

Whatever the expertise of this supposed historian, he fails to grasp actual historic events and has i’m afraid added to irony a left-wing extreme spin on it. Indeed the Nazis used the media to fuel their propaganda of which is no different to how the mainstream media is used by the ruling elite in snubbing and slaundering Trump supporters.

The Nazis were afterall the Nazi Socialist party.

TRUMP REPUBLICANS ARE REMINICENT OF 1930’s GERMANS - THEY BELIEVE THE BEAUTIFUL LIES BUT IGNORE THE UGLY TRUTHS.