Home | About | Donate

Led by Ted Cruz, GOP Senators Call on Trump to Bypass Congress to Give Rich Americans Another Tax Cut

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/30/led-ted-cruz-gop-senators-call-trump-bypass-congress-give-rich-americans-another-tax

1 Like

Obama, like an idiot, tried to cut deals as advised by his Catfood Commission, that would lower deficits and eventually the national debt because Repubs called Dems “tax and spend” liberals.

So where the fuck are the Democrats when it’s time to label the Repubs “tax cut and spend” hypocrites?

10 Likes

Conservatives realize if their coup is not successful and somehow all their cheating does not give them the power structure that they better get as much rape and plunder as humanly possible before they are removed.

5 Likes

What RAW and BLATANT thievery bu these thugs with their unrelenting greed and hubris!!!

2 Likes

What we are seeing is the end game of America’s longest running war, the class war, which has been waged for over 300 years and counting.
The ultimate goal is nothing less than the complete and permanent subjugation of the lower classes by the 0.1% under whatever system they can be made to accept, which is currently corporate totalitarianism.
This requires corporations “privatizing” every aspect of society and governance, which of course means that existing systems first have to be dismantled. The fastest way to do that is to drain the state of the funds required to operate as a functional state.
Every single “tax cut” for the wealthy is money stolen from society as a whole which in turn weakens the legislative state, empowers the wealthy even further and ultimately brings us one step closer to the complete “privatization” of society.
Treason is the only word for it, and it is now the status quo.

10 Likes

I look on rich people as I would a cockroach in my kitchen. They are parasites and have no evolutionary value for homo sapiens. They manage to convince others that they are necessary for their own good, such as priests being an intermediary to some god. Or kings being divinely appointed to rule the rest of us. Because homo sap has decided to along with this scam, it’s lead us to extinction.

7 Likes

Since we have degenerated into insult names under this appalling Orange Pustule in the Offal Office lets get Cruz in there as well. He has definitely earned the name of “Slimy Ted”. He is so revolting that a fellow senator stated that someone could kill Cruz on the Senate floor and no one would move to convict him. Imagine that.
Lastly, I want to say a big Fuck You to the idiots in Texas who voted for this asshole for another term instead of O’Rourke. Just one of many reasons why you couldn’t pay me to live in Tex-ass.

4 Likes

If the american people do not wake up to this and put an end to GOP rule, we are really looking at a hopeless situation. Not that Democrats are much better but republicans still need to be driven from office in masses in order to end their absurd theft of american wealth on behalf of the most wealthy. Democrats should basically stonewall the whole thing - the government - until the out of control GOP addicts are checked.

2 Likes

The Koch Roach Brothers… fit your description!

4 Likes

I see they’re working really hard to accelerate the collapse of the economy at the expense of average hard working Americans. The whole cabal at the top are corrupt. From the president, treasury, Congress, and a host of lessor actors all acting as vampires to suck dry the regular folks of any capital remaining. Besides Cruz, with his new facial hair, resembles avatars of Satan. Go figure. It will all collapse, like the proverbial house of cards, and soon I suspect. Peace

2 Likes

As the “Gilded Age” railroad man, Jay Gould once said, “I can hire half of the working class to kill the other half.” Welcome to Gilded Age 2.0 where the 0.001% are more subtle but just as ruthless and heartless as their forebears. I still find it amazing that the CEO for financial pirates Goldman Sachs, Lloyd Blankfein, once claimed that they were “doing God’s work”. I guess that makes the Lord the Great Hedge Fund Manager in the sky. That fits in well with the whole idea of the “Prosperity Gospel” that many Christians believe in. St. Francis walked around in a hair shirt but these new Christians prefer Armani and Prada.

4 Likes

Although there’s a speck of reasonableness in the idea of the capital gains tax, indexing it provides an unfair double dip.

First, the reasonable part:
Suppose that someone buys one hundred dollars worth of stock, holds it for three years, and then sells it for 115 dollars. Suppose further that inflation during the 3 years was 15%. The investor would have 15 dollars of taxable gain, and if that gain were taxed at 33%, the investor would be left with a 10 dollar after-tax profit - but because inflation was 15%, the investor has 5 dollars less buying power than he/she had at the beginning. Lowering the tax rate for capital gains offsets this loss.

(I’m dealing here only with the numbers, not with other issues like whether the investor should bear the full costs of his/her own bad investment.)

The capital gains rates and holding periods have been changed over the years, and people may argue that neither reflects today’s conditions. That too is an issue that I leave for another time.

Anyway, you can adjust the rates to compensate for inflation or you can adjust the purchase price to compensate, as Cruz is saying, but you can’t do both - unless you reduce one when you add the other. If Cruz wants to index for inflation AND make gains taxable at ordinary income rates, that might be reasonable - but again, I’m talking only about the basic numbers, not about other issues like which inflation index to use and whether this is a version of privatize-the-profit-and-socialize-the-loss.

Adding indexing to the already reduced rates is just a double dip - but hardly surprising from the Republicans.

3 Likes

Good luck with the stonewalling. The democrats are just as corrupt as they are beholden to Wall Street and the bankers that finance campaigns to get the ‘proper’ people elected to further their interests.

4 Likes

Correct. Loathsome and corrupt DINO-saur Steny Hoyer has already said that the DNC will resist any efforts of real progressives and liberals to exercise political power if they are already in office and to make sure that only acceptable candidates can run for upcoming seats in 2020. The Demo party could really be improved and become an opposition party to work against these appalling Rethugs if we could get rid of spineless sellouts like Hoyer, Pelosi, Schumer and Feinstein.
Even now Pelosi is trying to resist increasing calls for impeachment proceedings to begin from within her party. She is a disgrace and has rightly earned her description as the “Trump enabler”.
What I believe is that the cynical political game being played by these assholes means that they are actually willing to have another 4 years of this monster in the Offal Office rather than see a genuine rise of left-leaning political power and reform from people like the so-called “Squad”. Four more years of Trumpo the Klown would be quite acceptable to the rich donor base that Pelosi courts. She has bragged that since 2002 she has brought in over half a billion dollars from private and corporate sources. That kind of money comes with a price and the ever rightward drift of the Demo party proves that they are willing to pay it.
It would not surprise me if significant effort is employed next year by the DNC to “primary” Ocasio-Cortez and replace her in office with one of the “New Democrats” who think that “incrementalism” and “triangulation” are an effective way to deal with this treasonous bunch of Rethugs.

3 Likes

Other than the small progressive wing, why would the DINO’s smear their partners in crime?
For you, the question is rhetorical.

1 Like

Well obviously the reason why Consumer debt, homelessness , peoples living in poverty ,unaffordable education and health care costs all climb is because the 1 percent does not have enough. The trickle down that was supposed to happen the last go around when they cut taxes of the wealthy did not happen because they did not cut them enough!

Ensure the 1 percent have even more and that trickle down WILL happen!

People still fall for this.

5 Likes

Agree, they’re grabbing all they can before the dollar is de-valued, while the rest of us are holding the deficit bag.

2 Likes

How bout we index minimum wage to inflation and index capital gains to incarceration

3 Likes

Isn’t there a rule that republi… I mean the Duopoly, never attacks itself?

2 Likes

It’s a free country Texans. Vote yourselves into a ditch, but don’t take the rest of us with you.

3 Likes