Home | About | Donate

Legend, Maverick, 'The Best There is': World Mourns David Bowie

Legend, Maverick, 'The Best There is': World Mourns David Bowie

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

The world on Monday mourned the death of David Bowie, the iconic rock star, record producer, artist and performer whose influence spanned generations and whose ideas constantly pushed boundaries of creativity, sexuality, and custom.

Bowie's death was confirmed by a post on his Facebook page, which said that the artist died peacefully in New York on Sunday "surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer." He had just celebrated his 69th birthday on January 8.

Not sure what his politics were, but the man was a truly gifted artist. Loved his music; and I was was lucky enough to see him live years ago.

He will be missed. RIP Mr. Bowie.

The stars are rockin' now, David Bowie!

Perhaps this is just another of your Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes, one of my all-time favorites. Sympathy to your family and friends.

"This is ground contol to Major Tom..." He did make us think!

Yes, he did. Another great song there.

I was very sad to hear of his passing. I remember listening to him in high school and college. "Ground Control to Major Tom. Countdown started, engine on. Check ignition and may God's Love be with You... " Rest in Peace David. :slightly_smiling:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

He stretched the envelope for unabashed love and dignity making the realm of sound dance with equally expansive balances - in stunningly irrepressible harmony. I always felt that this was a guy who had x-ray vision and would see and compose (in every sense of the word) a clear path through hell just to show that love and dignity were on the other side. Condolences to friends and family and gratitude for sharing his life with us. May the joy he brought to so many of us always be enjoyed by you.

An utter original. A brilliant musician, composer, actor. He did it all.
Truly, a life well-lived.
Thank you, David, so much.

"Bowie's career lasted nearly four decades."

Just a note... His career lasted 54 years - into its sixth decade!

To Do List 1/11/16 Dig out old Chuck Taylor low cut red tennis shoes and dance the blues ( the reggae beats, soul music, jazz, rock and roll, too ). Here, spin this, it might help: " Scanning life through the picture window She finds the slinky vagabond He coughs as he passes her Ford Mustang, but Heaven forbid, she'll take anything But the freak, and his type, all for nothing Misses a step and cuts his hand, but showing nothing, he swoops like a song She cries where have all Papa's heroes gone? All night She wants a young American... ". And, that album only gets better some 40 years later. Adios and God's Speed, David Bowie

"I would never have any intention of accepting anything like that. I seriously don’t know what it’s for. It’s not what I spent my life working for."

The next time the msm tries to manufacture adulation of British royalty here in the colonies I'll remember what you said Ziggy... You definitely changed the sound of what we heard, and what we might see in an open world.

My youngest is a very talented musician and I once told him and an equally talented young friend of his: "There is no lack of musical ability distributed throughout the human race, but those with a great abundance of that talent have an opportunity and a calling. We - the ordinarily endowed - don't know what we like, what moves us, what teaches us, until you - the gifted - show us." Bowie hit that mark.

Yes, yes, RIP Bowie. Don't worry, I think most people have forgotten about your Nazi/Hitler adulation phase.

All the old guard are dying off. Will this generation be able to carry the the flame? From what I've witnessed, I have my doubts. RIP, Ziggy.

Sweet, redraven.

"In addition to his artistic prowess, Bowie was known as a champion of the underdog. He famously rejected knighthood in 2003 and declined the royal honor of Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2000, saying: "I would never have any intention of accepting anything like that. I seriously don’t know what it’s for. It’s not what I spent my life working for."

Having celebrities grovel before authority is not nice. I also disapprove of having clergymen at hospitals waiting to pounce on the dying to get them to grovel.