Home | About | Donate

Let 2020 Be the Year of a Truly Free Press

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/25/let-2020-be-year-truly-free-press

1 Like

A “Truly Free Press” must have a unified populace who believe in them for them to exist.

A nation divided by it’s government is not fertile ground for this to stabilize.

1 Like

Far too late, Amy. Only the very few care about reality. The mass are happiest wearing their MAGA hats…and celebrating their supremacy in one of its many forms globally. (How each of the many supreme ethnic groups can be truly supreme with so much competition never seems to occur…)

His name is Julian Assange.

2 Likes

And Chelsea Manning. Yeah, why didn’t she mention them?
Truly Free Press? It would be nice to think of DN! as exemplars. But no, Democracy Now!, fell into line with the MSM on Russiagate, Syria and Ukrainegate.

2 Likes

And also Gatekeepers for 9/11.

1 Like

Thank you for keeping the names and the reporting of journalist in front of my mind. I am an ignorant person lacking the capacity to see the patterns without your reports. In my ignorance I would like to ask: Is there a relationship between Jamal Khashoggi and Adnan Khashoggi, Essam and Asil Khashoggi, and the Triad Project and Adnan Khashoggi arms dealing and Oliver North and the Iran-Contra affair, Illegal contributions to Richard Nixon’s reelection committee, and Triad Utah? Wasn’t Adnan Khashoggi called the riches man in the world back in the 1970’s and didn’t Adnan Khashoggi have something to do with a HUD grant? Was there a conflict between church and state?
Talking about a truly free press how about all the journalists that were “suicided?”

This story is primarily about Khashoggi but also about CPJ and other cases thrown in. Assanges name doesn’t have to be present in every article. I’m not listening to DN as much as I used to - I’m listening to a lot of podcasts now including real news so I only hear about half the episodes but in the past Julian Assange has gotten plenty of coverage and he was given plenty of time to speak when interviewed. Also CPJ covers his case as well (https://cpj.org/blog/2019/04/why-prosecution-julian-assange-press-freedom.php).

The headline talks about next year being a year of a truly free press. Such a headline DEMANDS Assange be discussed.

1 Like