Home | About | Donate

Let Donald Trump Be Our Unifier

Let Donald Trump Be Our Unifier

Eve Ensler

Donald Trump is not a leader or a presidential candidate. He is an outcome, a viral manifestation of a serious malignant illness. He is the mirror of our emptiness, the emptying out that has been happening to our country for a very long time.

He is an outcome of a two party system that has consistently ignored the needs and wishes of the majority of Americans for generations.

I concur with the author that Trump provides the country with an opportunity for some useful introspection.

You want to unify?

Fine. Let's 'unify' behind Sanders.

'Cause I will NEVER vote for Clinton.

Really not sure what to make of Eve Ensler of all people writing something like this.
I am stumped

The article is neither inane nor a narrative. You need to pay more attention, not to Trump, but his followers. His success is a mirror of social decay.

Trump is exactly the disaster that America deserves. No f'ing way will I vote for Hillary. I'll vote against her just to throw a wrench into the works. I'm done playing ball for the DNC.

Solid list, although in my view, it should be the first item mentioned since its very existence grants to all-male clubs the power to shape culture, economics, and government policy (domestic and foreign).

"He is the manifestation of patriarchy and the endlessly indoctrinated belief that only a father will save us even though the mainly men who have been determining reality for this country and the planet have led us to near ruin."

And:

"He is the outcome of an insanely violent culture, increasingly unkind with more bullying, that normalizes cruelty, industrializes punishment and declares endless war on its own citizens."

And:

"He is the consolidation of a government that devotes huge portions of its budget to building an imperial military rather than feeding and educating its own people, that wreaks havoc on the world rather than fighting climate change, that promotes the pillaging of the earth rather than ending violence against the people who inhabit it, that forces working people to police the world rather than providing them with meaningful work."

This is all Mars-rules and proof of asymmetric YANG emphases across the spectrum of society.

However, it does not speak to a singular all-inclusive WE, it speaks to those who identify with and embrace the Mars Rules ethic. And they happen to be mostly angry white males.

The use of violent imagery, curse words, and unbridled anger in the posts of "St. Jimmy," a Trump supporter make for the forum's very own "Exhibit A."

He is the poster child for the type of stunted development male whose hatred of Hillary is pathological, and who also stumps for Trump while oftentimes pretending otherwise.

Hillary's campaign, like Trump's is a mirror of social decay.

What Ensler recognizes in an anti-establishment election year, that Clinton, the most firmly planted establishment candidate in the entire lineup (D&R) is not likely to beat the perceived anti-establishment front runner Trump in November.

"He is the mirror of our emptiness..." That is a profoundly insightful and most elegant phrase that really nails this fucker and ourselves as well. Trump is a threat only because some people have an appetite for and a willingness to tolerate his crap. But while this delightfully adroit article skewers with precision it leaves out the tension and anger that smolders like a bed of red hot coals just beneath the surface. Not Trump's own opportunistic anger! I just don't believe he speaks from his own anger but that he is acutely aware that he is tapping into the voters' anger. He doesn't really feel it himself all that much but he knows that his supporters do and so he speaks to it directly. An instinctual talent for focusing anger and redirecting it outwards towards the 'other' that all good extroverted demagogic types have. He chooses his words and the issues they speak to so as to fan the flames of frustration, anger and resentment. Even his inexplicable crudity at times seems a calculated expression geared towards rough sanding his overly glossy image just a bit. He's a man's man under all that hair spray and poofy comb over, he wants to say.

She really got it right - Trump is a mirror and we are shocked at what we see.

What polls has the author of this article been reading. More Americans say they would never vote for Trump more than any other candidate. Also, Trump has the highest unfavorable rating ever recorded for an American candidate. Trump is the last person who could unify us as the majority of Americans find his views to be repugnant. At best he reflects a subculture of America and at that mostly older white working class males. He is basically a product of his own personality defect not the United States. Elizabeth Warren nicely summed it up in calling him a loser. He appears to have not matured. I think a psychological explanation goes further than a cultural explanation that has been attempted here which leaves out all the positive attributes of the US and focuses purely on the negative resulting in a completely distorted picture of the country.

Ensler is correct about Trump, but unifying against him by supporting Hillary in the general election would send no clear message at all, because Hillary is simply the respectable face of all the ills that Ensler justifiably decries here.

Unify against Trump? Sure! Just give us a way to actually do it and we're there.

For starters I'd say it proves you don't recognize oligarchy when it's staring you in the face. I invite you to show us the picture of Trump hanging out with Bernie or Jill Stein.

Ha, inane and lame! Let's see the photo of Trump socializing with Bernie Sanders.

Point to you there, SaintJimmy. And he's a man of his word. I'm waiting to see if he's rolling his eyes as he sarcastically suggests his millions of hopeful young supporters vote for the Queen of Chaos. If instead he puts on a heartfelt show of it, I've got no problem calling him a Judas goat:

Could you turn up the sputtering rage a bit? We can't hear you. :wink: Seriously, calm down man! I know it's all frustrating as helll, but cut back on the caffeine, unplug, go for a walk, feed some birds, tune out for a bit. The problems will still be here when you get back, that I can assure you.

"He is an outcome, a viral manifestation of a serious malignant illness."

And Hillary is better? Get real!

This article takes the same kind of approach that Hillary and Obama take to Assad, "He's a mean awful man who should be driven out!" Well, some truth to the first part of that, but what are the alternatives? Aren't they worse (excepting Bernie)?

J'u hear all that, SJ? I think SR wants you.

Love it. I've said it before. The man is the perfect ending to this BS. Wow, I think this time we're really & honestly headed deep into a place we've never-ever been before in this county. I see martial law by election day. Then what? More of the present lame a-hole in charge?

Couldn't disagree more. Ensler simply provides a fairly complete litany of all of the institutionalized "externalized costs" structure on which predatory capitalism is built. Read it and weep and then plumb the depths of what a real conscience means.

Can you please stop with this sexism meme? It's tiresome. The coming election is not about some ideal of gender equality. It's about which person, regardless of sex, will be granted the power to destroy the world. And the only thing relevant to hatred for Clinton is that she earned every bit of it.

I've never voted for a Republican or a Conservative in my life, but if Clinton gets the nomination I will vote for Trump even though my intellectual/emotional choice is Jill Stein. Unfortunately, with so much at stake in this particular election, principle must take a back seat to reality.

I have absolutely no doubt that Clinton is an existential threat to human survival. Trump less so. Just on the issues of foreign policy, trade and economics he is well to the left of America's version of Margaret Thatcher. And frankly, in the face of potential nuclear annihilation and world economic collapse everything else pales. Yes, he's an obnoxious a_hole. But no less so than she. Is he a racist? I don't know for sure. I haven't seen evidence of it prior to this campaign. He may just be politically pandering to his base. The fact is, it's offensive, just as is his apparent xenophobia. Again, his positions prior to the campaign are not crystal clear. What is clear is that Clinton is at least as racist as evidenced by her fervent and active support on behalf of her husband's so-called welfare and prison "reforms" which have done more actual damage to women and racial minorities than Trump ever has and perhaps more than any government policy in a century. Why minorities support Clinton astounds me.

Clinton's influence over events in the Middle East (Libya, Syria, Egypt, etc) and her enthusiastic support for religious dictators in the region also has done more real damage to women than Trump ever has despite all of his sexist rhetoric. I can understand why women reject Trump but I don't understand why they don't reject Clinton.

In an election where neither choice is palatable, I'll have to come down on the side of the candidate further to the left. Minorities and women might agonize over a Trump presidency but at least they won't have to worry as much about being incinerated in a nuclear holocaust.

There's a reason the mainstream Republican party despises Trump. It's not his racism or sexism they oppose. Cruz, Rubio, et al are equally if not more on the wrong side of those issues. It's Trumps rejection of neocon foreign policy and neoliberal economics that infuriates them.

So for me the choice is simple. I would rather have Sanders, and if he miraculously pulls it off I will vote for him. But that seems like a longshot. That said, there is no way, under any circumstances, that I will vote for the monstrous, mass murdering war criminal and corporate lackey Hillary Clinton. She is by far the greater evil.