Home | About | Donate

Let’s Celebrate Peace

Let’s Celebrate Peace

Kathy Kelly

Armistice Day gives us an opportunity to acknowledge the brutal futility of armed conflict, the wastefulness of our military spending, and the responsibility we share to abolish all wars

Philly 1918

I expressed my feelings at Consortiumnews on Veterans Day today the 12th. The best way to honor the vets is to stop lying about why they ‘served’ and were killed in the process. The best way would be to stop the endless wars that perpetuates the endless stream of wounded scared souls returning to a world now foreign to their being. Stop training people to kill after 18 years of teaching them to not kill. Find other ways to run the broken economy that’s feeding the Pentagon with borrowed fiat dollars from nowhere. Just stop the killing, dammit, just stop already. This would be the best tribute to vets we could give. Stop celebrating the leadership that makes their living killing women, children and civilian men. These generals are despicable. The leadership that requires their services are much, much worse. Stop electing them to positions of power. Then we could give tribute to those that were brainwashed that ‘serving’ was an honorable calling. Instead us the military to rebuild the places that they destroyed. Us them to help victims of the ever greater disasters unleashed by climate change due to global poisoning. Be useful for a change. Puerto Rico still needs help yet the troops are pulling out; why? So today we can strive towards a day when we can celebrate peace a real peace around the world and be proud of it to boot.

Unfortunately, until cons adopt humane ways to prevent overpopulation and institute a one million maximum income to prevent wealth and power concentration, war will still be a natural control.

Direct Democracy

Thank you Kathy, for reminding everyone who reads this that this holiday began as Armistice Day; as a day to celebrate peace. It is interesting to note that most Americans living today have never known it as anything other than “Veterans Day”. It is also very telling that when Armistice Day was established in 1938, this was a nation whose people overwhelmingly preferred peace. A state of perpetual war would have seemed unbelievable to the American of 1938, and totally unacceptable. By 1954, however, we had become a different nation, one in which a huge and permanent military-industrial complex was questioned by only a tiny few. This was made possible by the irrational fear of Communism. Now “Terrorism” serves the same purpose.

There’s good money in warfare.

And with Israel stoking the fires of the Sunni-Shia conflict to stifle Hezbollah,
and the corrupt, Sunni Saudis looking to the US to somehow defeat Shia Iran,
and the Russians likely to ramp up involvement if their client-state Shia factions are messed with,

you can expect the war profiteers to get even richer.

I put this in another post, but I think it fits here as well.

Remembrance Day

Now is the day that we remember
Our dead, the wars, each falling ember.
Veterans, Poppy clad, march in sadness and pride,
Ever mindful of the dwindling companies they once marched beside.
Men, long turned grey, who remember the youth and strength
Bourne by them into war, adventure, endless length,
Ever yearning, at last, for home, for hearth, for peace.
Remembering all their lives the horrors that wars release.

Eleven, eleven, the day the guns fell still,
Leaving only the stench of gas, and bodies, and graves to fill.
Eleven, eleven and the “War to end all wars,” had ceased.
Vengeance and madness! Again the dogs of war unleashed!
Ever rending a new generation to feed their maw.
Now, war follows war, each more cruel, more raw,
Tears the fabric of life, slays man, woman, child; death in the rough.
Heaven itself must cry in pain, “For the love of God! Enough! Enough!”

Steve Osborn
For Remembrance Day 2008
© Stephen M. Osborn 11/11/2008
;-})

Yes, thanks Kathy Kelly for your unwavering dedication to peace and against war.

Kathy Kelly: AN ANGEL OF PEACE!

" The wastefulness of our military spending and the responsibility we share to abolish all wars."

What we need is not only an Armistice day, but an Armistice epoch, but never going to happen until the universal soldier sees the " brutal futility of armed conflict".

Very nice Steve. I note your use of the British name for 11.11. I think it more fitting.

Thankee Nighthawk. I put Remembrance Day in a news letter I do monthly. I gave it a short preface, which I will place below.
*Veteran’s Day, November 11th (to be observed on the closest Friday or Monday to facilitate a three day weekend) was originally called Armistice Day and commemorated the end of World War One, the “war to end all wars.” In Canada it is called Remembrance Day. At eleven o’clock, a minute of silence is held across the nation in memorial.
*Here, we usually go shopping, or watch a football game. [Then the poem went below.]
*Up here, we get CBC, and have watched every Remembrance Day Observance in Ottawa for the last twenty-three years. The forest is getting thinner, but the memory lingers on.
;-})

Wish I lived closer to Canada. Or, better yet, in Canada!
Always enjoy your poetry and usually copy it longhand.